Thread: Pilot: As Joe Morrissey demonstrates: It's not safe for ANYONE to carry at Capitol

Pilot: As Joe Morrissey demonstrates: It's not safe for ANYONE to carry at Capitol

As they say, below the fold ...

Joe Morrissey: poster child of the untrained

The Pilot fears everyone ... everyone that is, EXCEPT the Capitol Police:

Leave guns outside House chambers
    Whel Del. Joe Morrissey hoisted an AK-47 above his head, thumb inside the trigger guard, on the House floor during the last legislative session, lawmakers and spectators grew noticeably uncomfortable. A Republican delegate admonished his Democratic colleague to keep his finger away from the trigger.

Hope said he knows of at least a handful of lawmakers who carry concealed firearms into the House. Those weapons do little to enhance security in a place already patrolled by armed Capitol Police. In fact, the presence of concealed firearms affords an opportunity for those obviously untrained in safe handling techniques - as Morrissey superbly demonstrated - to carry dangerous weapons onto the House floor. Virginia's requirements for obtaining a permit to carry a concealed firearm are notoriously weak and require no demonstration of gun safety or proficiency.

Instead of promoting safety, the current arrangement provides a greater risk for harm to lawmakers, legislative staff members and visitors through accidental discharge. Accidents do happen ...
    Yeah? Crimes do happen, too.

I'm untrained - therefore YOU can't be trusted, either!

How is it,

That a convicted idiot jailbird that has been proven mentally unstable, incompetent, a liar, and that lost 2 fully automatic machine pistols while he was CA, is allowed to handle firearms?

The Capitol Police are not doing their job protecting the GA by keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill!

Oh wait, I forgot. He represents Henrico County. Question asked and answered. Nevermind.
    Last edited by va_tazdad; 01-06-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Clearly, the exception is intended to make the rule.

With "Fighting Joe" we have a devout anti committing an unsafe practice - have always wondered if it wasn't staged/intentional. He has proven that he will lie to make himself look better - witness how he obtained employment outside the USA.

Regarding Reid's ND - how many of these have occurred in history of the GA?

Appears this bill is a solution looking for a problem.......where none exists.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Clearly, the exception is intended to make the rule.

With "Fighting Joe" we have a devout anti committing an unsafe practice - have always wondered if it wasn't staged/intentional. He has proven that he will lie to make himself look better - witness how he obtained employment outside the USA.

Regarding Reid's ND - how many of these have occurred in history of the GA?

Appears this bill is a solution looking for a problem.......where none exists.
    He should go home and clean that thing !

Seriously???

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Only an idiot would want Joe Morrissey to have ANY gun in his possession!

Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    Only an idiot would want Joe Morrissey to have ANY gun in his possession!
    Congratulations.
    It depends on how you read it. No doubt you've hear of those "he shot himself while cleaning his gun" suicides?
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-06-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Not a bad plan, but

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    It depends on how you read it. No doubt you've hear of those "he shot himself while cleaning his gun" suicides?
    Virginia couldn't be that lucky. Maybe he will move up with David so he can represent him.

Banned
    Virginia couldn't be that lucky. Maybe he will move up with David so he can represent him.
    Hallelujah and pass the ammo .... I'd straighten him out ... invite him over for dinner ...

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    The Pilot fears everyone ... everyone that is, EXCEPT the Capitol Police:

Leave guns outside House chambers

Yeah? Crimes do happen, too.

I'm untrained - therefore YOU can't be trusted, either!
    Here's a crime of brandishing! Why wasn't he charged?

It looks a lot more egregious than scouser's actions.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    Here's a crime of brandishing! Why wasn't he charged?

It looks a lot more egregious than scouser's actions.

He can't be charged:

Section 9. Immunity of legislators.
    Members of the General Assembly shall, in all cases except treason, felony, or breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during the sessions of their respective houses; and for any speech or debate in either house shall not be questioned in any other place. They shall not be subject to arrest under any civil process during the sessions of the General Assembly, or during the fifteen days before the beginning or after the ending of any session.

Article IV, Sec 9, VA Constitution. (bold emphasis added)

http://constitution.legis.virginia.gov/
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

1. I would call his actions "breath of peace."
    2. Cannot be arrested, but can be charged.
    3. Holding a gun up in a dangerous manner is not "speech or debate."

But hey I'm not an attorney and didn't write the law. What do I know?

--------------

I guess by the argument that no one needs a gun at the Capitol because the Police are patrolling, then nobody needs a gun in Virginia since the VSP and various LEOs are patrolling.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

That a convicted idiot jailbird
    What was he convicted of? Was it a felony?

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

I always suspected the antis where working in conjunction with violent criminals, what with their common interest in disarming the law-abiding populace (hence creating scores of unarmed victims), but this prime example just PROVES my suspicions beyond reasonable doubt.

How is this guy not behind bars (and being acquainted with some of the more colorful practices we hear about)?
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 01-12-2014 at 01:51 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I always suspected the antis where working in conjunction with violent criminals, what with their common interest in disarming the law-abiding populace (hence creating scores of unarmed victims), but this prime example just PROVES my suspicions beyond reasonable doubt.

How is this guy not behind bars (and being acquainted with some of the more colorful practices we hear about)?
    Good clean livng perhaps?