• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Yorker Finds Unusual Use for a Loaded Firearm

Fallschirjmäger

According to the Times Union

Jerome M. Hauer, Gov. Andrew Cuomo's director of homeland security, took out his handgun and used the laser sighting device attached to the barrel as a pointer in a presentation to a foreign delegation, according to public officials. It happened Oct. 24 in Albany at the highly secure state emergency operations center below State Police headquarters.
Much more at the provided link.

davidmcbeth

Banned
These officials, one of whom claimed to be an eyewitness, said that three Swedish emergency managers in the delegation were rattled when the gun's laser tracked across one of their heads before Hauer found the map of New York, at which he wanted to point.

Hilarious on so many levels ....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hauer, commissioner of the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, was disabled by a stroke a few years ago and can be unsteady. He isn't a law enforcement official. He carries the loaded 9-millimeter Glock in a holster into state buildings, an apparent violation of state law barring state employees from bringing weapons to the workplace, several witnesses say.

"Unsteady" would seem to refer to more than physical coordination. Perhaps cognitive ability?

Thankfully he did not "point and click." :uhoh:

sudden valley gunner

Hauer, commissioner of the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, was disabled by a stroke a few years ago and can be unsteady. He isn't a law enforcement official. He carries the loaded 9-millimeter Glock in a holster into state buildings, an apparent violation of state law barring state employees from bringing weapons to the workplace, several witnesses say.

"Unsteady" would seem to refer to more than physical coordination. Perhaps cognitive ability?

Thankfully he did not "point and click." :uhoh:

+1

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The Swedes got upset because he swept one of their heads. Man, I would have been jumping for cover from an idiot like that. And.......what was the dumma$$ doing in a prohibited space with a weapon, let alone "brandishing"?

scott58dh

Handgun used as laser pointer by state official reportedly rattles foreign delegates

"Jerome M. Hauer, Gov. Andrew Cuomo's director of homeland security, took out his handgun and used the laser sighting device attached to the barrel as a pointer in a presentation to a foreign delegation, according to public officials.

Swedish emergency managers in the delegation were rattled when the gun's laser tracked across one of their heads before Hauer found the map of New York.

Hauer was disabled by a stroke a few years ago and can be unsteady.

He carries the loaded 9-millimeter Glock in a holster into state buildings, an apparent violation of state law."

link to article:>>>; http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Ready-aim-point-talk-5116592.phphttp:/#photo-5683948

Question, aside from the fact that this guy is totally Stupid, does this act qualify as "Brandishing a Weapon" ?

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Don't you know, laws only apply to the little people. Not the Kings men. :(

You or I do this and we are in big trouble and face possible jail time. I doubt if any charges will be brought in this case. I am sure however this guy could have easily afforded a normal laser pointer..... :(

Last edited:

scott58dh

Don't you know, laws only apply to the little people. Not the Kings men. :(

You or I do this and we are in big trouble and face possible jail time. I doubt if any charges will be brought in this case. I am sure however this guy could have easily afforded a normal laser pointer..... :(

You can say that again ! plus,,, He can always get a *Minion* to point for him ! :banana:

USa,,, "We the People" vs Them,,, the Beautiful People ! :lol:

He could have at the very least given the Foreign Dignitaries a fair warning,,,

"Excuse me while I whip this out !" :uhoh:

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
article said:
...three Swedish emergency managers in the delegation were rattled when the gun's laser tracked across one of their heads before Hauer found the map of New York...

That could take quite some time, for the typical American.