Thread: Snowden's predecessors in print, Burglars Who Took On F.B.I. Abandon Shadows

Snowden's predecessors in print, Burglars Who Took On F.B.I. Abandon Shadows

"Unlike Mr. Snowden, who downloaded hundreds of thousands of digital N.S.A. files onto computer hard drives, the Media burglars did their work the 20th-century way: they cased the F.B.I. office for months, wore gloves as they packed the papers into suitcases, and loaded the suitcases ["making off with nearly every document inside"] into getaway cars. When the operation was over, they dispersed. Some remained committed to antiwar causes, while others, like John and Bonnie Raines, decided that the risky burglary would be their final act of protest against the Vietnam War and other government actions before they moved on with their lives. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/us...dows.html?_r=0

The book - http://www.randomhouse.com/book/2246...-betty-medsger
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Very interesting read; thanks for sharing.

"The New York Times, followed with their own reports. Ms. Medsger’s article cited what was perhaps the most damning document from the cache, a 1970 memorandum that offered a glimpse into Hoover’s obsession with snuffing out dissent. The document urged agents to step up their interviews of antiwar activists and members of dissident student groups.

“It will enhance the paranoia endemic in these circles and will further serve to get the point across there is an F.B.I. agent behind every mailbox,” the message from F.B.I. headquarters said. Another document, signed by Hoover himself, revealed widespread F.B.I. surveillance of black student groups on college campuses.

1986 Václav Havel, 'The Power of The Powerless: Citizens Agains The State

You do not become a "dissident" just because you decide one day to take up this most unusual career. You are thrown into it by your personal sense of responsibility, combined with a complex set of external circumstances. You are cast out of the existing structures and placed in a position of conflict with them. It begins as an attempt to do your work well, and ends with being branded an enemy of society.
    http://vaclavhavel.cz/showtrans.php?....html&typ=HTML

".....enemy of the society state."