• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

code enforcement officials

solus

went to the Wayne county dump today w/household trash in black plastic garbage bags as well as several cardboard boxes filled with other trash from my garage. of course i was OC'g!!

got to the dumping area and this gentleman who is an attendant immediately points to the cover of a small fan and states that has to go in metal scrap container about 25 feet away, he points to the filled cardboard boxes and says they have to go into the cardboard container about 15 feet away, and points to a very small box (8x8x10) completely filled with shards of broken mirrors i removed from the wall of a house i am remodeling and says i must dump the contents and place the box in the cardboard container. i told him as i was parked by household goods i wasn't handling the box any more than necessary as i had already cut myself several times with the project and proceeded to dump the small box into the household goods container. the attendant started getting excited and told me i shouldn't have done that, then i dumped the remainder of the load of my small pickup into household goods container, including the other cardboard boxes. the attendant was besides himself and immediately grabbed his handie-talk and started jabbering away.

i pulled up to the exit to pay my dump fees, the cashier stated someone from the main building told her not to let me leave. at that point i told her where am i going to find a supervisor and she pointed to the main building and then she let me pay my five dollar fee and i drove over to the main building to discern what the devil was going on.

there i found a 'code enforcement' officer standing there, armed w/o any identification except a stocking cap which stated 'code enforcement on his head. he proceeded to lecture me about the importance of assuring the cardboard was properly separated. all the while he was resting the heel of his hand on the back of his firearm. i then interjected about the cardboard box w/mirror shards and the reason i dumped it so i would eliminate the possibility of further injury and he said oh. then we got into a hypothetical discussion about if the cardboard is in black garbage bags how is anybody going to know? Well if we tracked it to you I would ticket you!

at this point i played my ace and asked if he could please provide the appropriate ordinance about separating cardboard from household good waste and he left and went into his office. 15 minutes later i hollered into his office and said not to worry about it as i would find it later. he walked out handed me a notice from the Wayne county website stating in 2010 cardboard must be separated from household trash and asked if i would provide my name, address, and email, he would send the the appropriate cite. smiling sweetly, i said Nawl (southern for NO) i was fine i would look it up.

now to the crux of my post, i am unable to locate any type of resource regarding gun toting code enforcement officer so i need to ask...since when are code enforcement personnel armed? what authority do they have? are they sworn officers of the state?

secondly, any concept how to search about waste management ordinances within Wayne county...again i have drawn a blank! (never mind, found municode 62.xxx)

any information about the authority 'code enforcement' within the Tarheel state would be greatly appreciated before i approach the wayne county commissioners about this.

ipse

Last edited:

Resto Guy

Putting cardboard in the proper receptacle keeps all of us safer. You, sir, screwed with "the system".
You then encountered an agent from the Department of Cardboard Security. Probably armed with a high capacity mag of those holllow points our govt. needs to keep us safe from people who don't seperate trash.

countryclubjoe

They wouldn't let you leave... That's funny...

The minute you paid the dumping fee simply leave the premises.. No need to waste time explaining your actions.. What would be the point?

My .02

Thank you and best regards.

CCJ

davidmcbeth

Banned
Putting cardboard in the proper receptacle keeps all of us safer. You, sir, screwed with "the system".
You then encountered an agent from the Department of Cardboard Security. Probably armed with a high capacity mag of those holllow points our govt. needs to keep us safe from people who don't seperate trash.

The force is strong with this one ....

Bahabandit

Kind of sounds like the Barney Fife Security Company to me. He thinks he is king of his particular hill of trash. I would contact the county office and see if they are allowed to be armed. I go to the Onslow County dump every Saturday because I am too cheap to pay for garbage pickup. Anyways I have never seen a armed guy at our dump.

Kopis

our sign code enforcement in memphis was deputized to carry firearms..... Im not sure why as they routinely bill me for the wrong number of signs on stores. It's rather disconcerting that they cant count to five correctly but they are carrying a firearm in an official capacity.

solus

well today i tracked down the Wayne county director of inspection who about had a kitten when i asked if his employees were authorized to carry. he ushered me immediately to his office. we had a nice chat and once i got him calmed down a bit after telling him the entire story, i was informed the 'code enforcement' person at the dump is in fact a deputy sheriff who has responsibility over all the county's landfills. my comment was i guess the deputy must have pi$$'d off someone in his chain of command...:banana:

we parted with a handshake and the director laughing by saying ....all over a cardboard box!

as soon as i discern who the deputy's supervisor is i will lodge a complaint about the deputy's posturing over putting a cardboard box in the wrong recycle bin.

on the plus side, the director is a firearm advocate but doesn't want to get a chp for personal reasons so he was directed to this forum to get further information on open carrying. hopefully he follows up...

ipse

Bahabandit

Nice to see that you got the bottom of it. I was at the dump Saturday in the rain and had a guy say "Hell Yeah Open Carry."

solus

had an interesting chance encounter w/a deputy over lunch and after chatting about a myriad of other stuff i asked about the code enforcement deputy out at the dump...came right out and asked if he was connected to get a four day work week or pissed someone off.

seems the deputy 'sought the position because he couldn't tolerate the sheriff's policies' and has been there for several years now. when the deputy asked why i was interested, hey i waited and didn't spill out my story immediately, i told him my concerns of the code enforcement officer's posturing with his hand resting on their service firearm while he talked me while open carrying. i also pointed out the fact the code enforcement officer wasn't identified as a deputy.

hmmm was all i got back and when the deputy i was enjoying lunch with asked why i had contact with the code enforcement officer, i told him it was because i threw cardboard into the household goods bin. timing is everything as i told him when he was taking a sip of water...tho i almost got wet as he struggled to swallow.

i was given the information to file a complaint with and while timeliness is of the essence, i will do so after other critical errands are run this week.

ipse