• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new Remington r 51

WalkingWolf

I saw that, have not researched the price though. Just wonder if they will be competitive with Ruger and Keltec.

I think Gunblast has a review, I will have to dig to find it.

Last edited:

KBCraig

I don't currently have a 9mm, but I'm definitely interested in this one. It's a gorgeous gun, and the price point is definitely right. They've teamed up to make sure holsters are available immediately, which is always a problem with a new release.

I'll be watching for it.

mobiushky

Reports from SHOT are not going well. For starters, no media were allowed to shoot it during the media range time. I don't believe they had any on the range. That doesn't bode well. Second, every blog I've seen from SHOT has mentioned that the mechanism is very odd and every one seems to have problems with it. Most of them are writing it off to "maybe it's because it's unloaded" but the common theme also seems to be saying that it may be the reason it wasn't available for the range day. Not saying it's DOA, but so far it's not being received well.

WalkingWolf

I would imagine numbers are limited until they hit the market after full production. That left only a few guns for reviews, and the review I saw was very favorable and the writer can be seen on video shooting the gun.

I would imagine getting one for $389 will be the luck of the draw. Sorta like buying a M-29 for retail after the dirty harry film.

I would probably still buy a P-11 before the R-51 they are proven to work, and are only $253 at Bud's.

tomrkba

MSRP on Remington.com is $420, so the LGS price will be lower.

However, several recent reviews not paid for by Remington pointed out a bunch of flaws in the gun. Take a look around and you'll see what I mean.

solus

MSRP on Remington.com is $420, so the LGS price will be lower.

However, several recent reviews not paid for by Remington pointed out a bunch of flaws in the gun. Take a look around and you'll see what I mean.

forgive me, but you threw it out here, so you're responsible for providing a viable cite or two, as the case may be.

tis the neighbourly thing to do!

'sides you might work for Glock, Colt, etc., and doing a neg ad campain :eek:

ipse

WalkingWolf

forgive me, but you threw it out here, so you're responsible for providing a viable cite or two, as the case may be.

tis the neighbourly thing to do!

'sides you might work for Glock, Colt, etc., and doing a neg ad campain :eek:

ipse

May not work for them, but very well may belong to the my gun is better than your gun club.

mobiushky

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

Does this help? Highlights:

Physically painful to shoot.
No perceptible trigger reset.
Not following the reassembly instructions perfectly could result in a dangerous gun.

Other than that it's great...LOL.

The problem is that the breakdown is complex and reassembly is worse. AND it's possible to reassemble the gun wrong. Like completely reassembled and shoot a couple rounds with parts installed wrong. According to the review, it just stops functioning randomly when that happens. Something you don't want to trust your life to. Just be sure you put it back together the right way I guess.

solus

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

Does this help? Highlights:

Physically painful to shoot.
No perceptible trigger reset.
Not following the reassembly instructions perfectly could result in a dangerous gun.

Other than that it's great...LOL.

The problem is that the breakdown is complex and reassembly is worse. AND it's possible to reassemble the gun wrong. Like completely reassembled and shoot a couple rounds with parts installed wrong. According to the review, it just stops functioning randomly when that happens. Something you don't want to trust your life to. Just be sure you put it back together the right way I guess.

the Remington R51 is painful to shoot, even with light loads. Granted this is a common complaint for wafer-thin compact 9mm handguns,

I found myself constantly pulling the R51′s trigger short of the reset – especially when trying to shoot quickly. I had to mentally condition myself to touch the trigger guard with my fingernail after every round, which increased my shot-to-shot split times. sounds like the reviewer had not mastered the firearm's subtleties?

No one will intuitively understand that you need to grab the R51′s barrel and pull it forward to get the slide free, and getting an American male to read the instruction manual is about as likely as Robert bagging his latest supermodel crush. But they really should [read the manual]. I emailed Remington and suggested that they include a simple orange piece of paper in the box, tied to the gun, alerting people to this issue, instructing them on how to properly assemble the gun. They plan to release a YouTube video on the subject.]

sounds like males need to read their manuals huh...but wait...here is what the reviewer stated: I know people who think that disassembling a GLOCK for cleaning and maintenance is too much work. so the infamous Glock is a bear to clean as well..go figure.

the reviewer states: But there are a couple very minor design changes that need to be made to get it to that point: an idiot-proof slide stop, followed by adding a tactile reset to the trigger. Finally, making the back of the gun a little more comfortable during recoil would round things out. yet several paragraphs later those very minor design changes have turned to: but there are serious design flaws that shouldn’t be acceptable in a modern firearm. guess the reviewer couldn't discern which criteria to define the design changes.

btw...thanks for the providing the cite it was an interesting read...

tomrbka...you come up with any cites yet?

ipse

WalkingWolf

The truth about guns printed a absolutely horrible bias review of the Hi Point C9. But almost every review other than theirs raves about it. TTAG cannot be trusted to post a non bias review, I wouldn't doubt if the are recieving funds from competitors. Gun Blast did a very favorable review of the R51. I would take his word any day over TTAG, same for Irag Veteran. But then maybe TTAG are more Glock snobs, since they referenced a Glock.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/01/remington-r51-9mm-gun-review8/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NgmCxuW3rgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WgqtnA4t98U

Took new 42 to range today with the following dismal results:

25 rnds Hornady Critical Defense: Numerous stovepipes/FTL/FTE and numerous occasions of slide not locking after last rnd.
50 rnds American Eagle 95gr. FMJ: Same results as above.
50 rnds Blazer Brass 95gr. FMJ: Same results as above.
50 rnds PMC Bronze 90gr. FMJ: Same results as above.
50 rnds Blazer Steel 95gr. FMJ: Fewest problems with this ammo although there were a few. Was able to actually fire a few complete magazines without problems.

Other issues noted:
When dropping a single rnd in, and sling shoting the slide, at times it did not go completely forward.
At times the slide release functioned normally and other times it was impossible to release.
Several times the spent rnd remained in battery and the trigger reset.
I noticed when loading rnds in the magazine that I had to be very careful to note that the rnd completely seated all the way back on the follower. At times a rnd would appear seated when actually a very small gap (1/64th) would remain.

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/any-glock-42-380-owners-33475/

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f32/do-not-buy-ammo-your-glock-42-a-33323/

Put 225 rounds thru it today. Independence, Fiocchi and Federal 95gr FMJ and then Gold Dot and Hornady 90gr HP. Had one failure to feed going up the ramp with the FMJ and subsequent stovepipe. No other issues in FMJ. The real problem was with the Gold Dots. With a box of 50, the first 6-7 mags all experienced the slide getting locked back with rounds still remaining. Both mags, always once and one time twice. Switched to the Hornady Critical Defense and all 25 went down range no prob. The last 8 Gold Dots fired without issue, so maybe it needed some break in. Not sure. I'll put some more thru it before I decide to call Glock about it.

As far as accuracy, it wasn't bad. Not my best groupings compared to the 19/26 and 23, but new gun so need more practice.

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f32/glock-42-range-reports-32961/index2.html

Same problem here. Bought this for my wife and took it the range last weekend. We had all of the problems listed above. There was a guy next to me that said we needed to have a tighter grip so we tried it and the problems seem to lessen. I ran out of ammo before I could say for sure if that was the problem or its a gun issue. Should I be able to shoot this with a loose grip and not have it misfire? Im somewhat new to shooting smaller guns like this and not sure if its the gun or me and my wife doing something wrong. It worries me because this was suppose to be my wifes cc gun.
Also, this is my first post and Glock so I would like to say hi to everyone.

http://www.glockforum.com/forum/f8/g42-cs-info-33199/

Most reviews by Glock enthusiasts are good, but for this to be on a Glock forum does not bode well. One could say that a few bad reviews are not a indicator of the gun's reliability or quality, but the same could be said for the R51 review, especially when that reviewer is known for posting bovine scatology.

Last edited:

mobiushky

The truth about guns printed a absolutely horrible bias review of the Hi Point C9. But almost every review other than theirs raves about it. TTAG cannot be trusted to post a non bias review, I wouldn't doubt if the are recieving funds from competitors. Gun Blast did a very favorable review of the R51. I would take his word any day over TTAG, same for Irag Veteran. But then maybe TTAG are more Glock snobs, since they referenced a Glock.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/01/remington-r51-9mm-gun-review8/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NgmCxuW3rgY

Iraqveteran hasn't even done a review of it, just a simple look at it from shot show. The top link above is a nice product announcement promo. The bottom is from Remington. Neither is a review. And while I love gunblast, he's a lot like Hickock45. He never really says anything bad about any gun he shows. That's fine cause I really like his articles and videos. But to be honest, he's always very positive about pretty much everything he shoots.

Give it about a year and they'll work out the bugs and it will be a good option. No reason to over gush for something before then.

WalkingWolf

Iraqveteran hasn't even done a review of it, just a simple look at it from shot show. The top link above is a nice product announcement promo. The bottom is from Remington. Neither is a review. And while I love gunblast, he's a lot like Hickock45. He never really says anything bad about any gun he shows. That's fine cause I really like his articles and videos. But to be honest, he's always very positive about pretty much everything he shoots.

Give it about a year and they'll work out the bugs and it will be a good option. No reason to over gush for something before then.

The guy is a hack, everybody knows it, in fact he has been caught plagiarizing. I also edited my post with remarks from Glock owners about the 42, ya know the gun made by the gods, the so called perfect gun by Glock themselves. If Solus is to take TTAG's advice, he certainly should not consider a Glock on the advice from GLOCK OWNERS.

Solus is a smart guy, I would imagine he will test one out before he buys. Something that craving Glock snobs did not do with the 42, AND THEY GOT BURNED.