• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trigger Job on my Shield

CodyB65

Good morning all.

I have a Shield that has had a trigger job. Now, if I ever decide later to use it for carry would it be a bad pistol to use because of the trigger job? Would that hurt me in the court even if it has been altered before hand? What are your thoughts?
Thanks,

Cody B

Firearms Iinstuctor

Unless the trigger job created a dangerous situation like the gun going off by its self when dropped or some thing like that I wouldn't worry.

If it could be proved or you try to claim that you shot some one wrongly because of the trigger job maybe.

If it is a good shoot I see no trouble if its a bad shoot I see trouble any way.

CodyB65

Unless the trigger job created a dangerous situation like the gun going off by its self when dropped or some thing like that I wouldn't worry.

If it could be proved or you try to claim that you shot some one wrongly because of the trigger job maybe.

If it is a good shoot I see no trouble if its a bad shoot I see trouble any way.

Let’s say that the trigger didn’t cause any problems and functioned well. It was a good shoot, and everything checks out. The Family asks to get the CCW examined for modifications. It comes up that the trigger, along with its components (I am not familiar with the mechanism) is not stock. Could that be used as leverage, saying I was an extremist or whatever and was out for blood?

The reason why I ask is someone once told me that it could be used against me for having an altered CCW, even if it was a good shoot or not. Could I carry this and have nothing to worry about, or get rid of it, or put it back to stock then carry it, or simply leave as is and use it as my range pistol ….

OH, I also was told the same applies for a laser as well. Is this true?

Thank you,
Cody B

Fuller Malarkey

Let’s say that the trigger didn’t cause any problems and functioned well. It was a good shoot, and everything checks out. The Family asks to get the CCW examined for modifications. It comes up that the trigger, along with its components (I am not familiar with the mechanism) is not stock. Could that be used as leverage, saying I was an extremist or whatever and was out for blood?

The reason why I ask is someone once told me that it could be used against me for having an altered CCW, even if it was a good shoot or not. Could I carry this and have nothing to worry about, or get rid of it, or put it back to stock then carry it, or simply leave as is and use it as my range pistol ….

OH, I also was told the same applies for a laser as well. Is this true?

Thank you,
Cody B

Two points I'd like to make:

1. A firearm intended to be a self defense weapon that does not fit you or is not adjustable to be fully utilized by you in your defense isn't worth carrying. Common upgrades or modifications are handgun grips. Ever hear of anyone being prosecuted for improving their ability to grip, draw and fire their defensive weapon? Me either. Night sights are another common upgrade. Can you find a conviction based on the carrier improving their ability to attain a better bead on their target?

A 73 year old with debilitating arthritis has as much right to self defense as anyone else does. A 9 pound, extremely long trigger pull may not work for that 73 year old, yet with some modification, the weapon is functional for him. There are no state or federal regulations on trigger trip weights, no point of reference a prosecutor can point to that indicates a clear and unquestionable intent to kill.

2. An anti-gun prosecutor might even try to turn you choices in holsters into intent. Hell, even the lube you use could be construed to "enhance the ability to kill".

And just to rehash what we all already know.....explanations regarding a defensive shoot are best handled by your attorney, including questions about ammo, caliber choice, reason for the number of rounds fired, and modifications to the firearm. Physically cooperate and state "I am invoking my right to legal counsel" are two good things to get worked into your "after the shooting" drill. For me, that is my after the shooting drill. You won't be convicted of anything by waiting for your attorney to be there. Your freedom becomes a crap shoot if you don't wait for the attorney.

Just possessing the firearm could be construed as intent to kill, to feed your blood lust. There are internet myth's of courtroom drama over trigger jobs, cases where reloads or purchased ammo was used with the intent to kill. A good attorney can easily clear up any confusion about that and explain your intent to stop the threat, not kill it. These questions will be put to an expert witness on the stand, not you.

I have more interest in having access to the right attorney than limiting the function of my defensive weapon. This of course is assuming that the modifications don't render the firearm an accidental discharge danger to yourself and everyone within shooting distance. That would be a different issue, and your tinkering could invite challenge of an accidental discharge into a negligent discharge, a bit of a difference when it comes to liability.

davidmcbeth

Banned
One generally modifies his/her gun to improve the probability of getting a shot on target.

Who would not want a more accurate shooter?

When folks say "why do people need a AR?" I just say..its a rifle people can shoot accurately, what, you want only inaccurate rifles?

CodyB65

Well you guys have most definitely shined a light on tge subject. Thanks for everything.

CB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk