• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richland County Mall OC Friendly?

Hareuhal

I can't say much because I'm about to be getting my hair cut, but don't ever call and ask. It'll probably result in signs.

Edit:

Okay, I'm back. Please don't ever call a business to inquire on their firearm policy. Often times, a business will not have a specific policy in place until someone calls and inquires. Many businesses end up putting signs up very shortly after.

It is always better to show up at a business and see for yourself. No sign? Carry on. If they ask you to leave, then you know their policy. If not, no harm done.

Also keep in mine that although the mall may not prohibit firearms, the individual stores within the mall may.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

Yes, the rule of thumb is:

Don't call ahead to see if you CAN, but ALWAYS call afterward to see why you CAN'T.

dominic22

Though I do not OC as of yet, I still look for signs, just curious on how they are worded.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

MyWifeSaidYes

Text only, graphic only, or graphic with text.

In Ohio, ANY sign indicating that firearms are prohibited, IF it is conspicuously posted, is valid notification, IF you see it prior to entering the facility. In other words, you must KNOWINGLY enter. If you didn't see the sign and are asked to leave, you must leave immediately. Ask about the sign later.

For certain enumerated places (listed in the law), no signs are required. You are just supposed to KNOW that you can't carry there. Courthouses, police stations, school zones, etc.

Werz

BTW, it's "Richland Mall." No "County." I remember going to the grand opening. I'm a bit surprised it's still alive, especially since it has a few "dead limbs."

If I recall what I've read and seen there, it's not posted, but their security discourages open carry because it tends to agitate the sheep. There may be a thread about that in this forum ...

Yep! Right here. A good read, too; both sides of the story.

MyWifeSaidYes

If asked to leave, leave. Don't argue.

I would NOT recommend OC'ing without a digital voice recorder running.

Your recollection of any interaction will almost always miss something.

I prefer the Sony series of recorders. You can usually find one at Walmart or Staples.

eye95

Well after reviewing that post, there are still no signs there and if the mall security wants to try me they can just deal with my lawyer. Im gonna OC and document it, I'll share it here! :)

If you already know that OC is not welcome there, please don't OC there. That is different from testing the waters because of not knowing and no signs posted.

SteveInCO

If you already know that OC is not welcome there, please don't OC there. That is different from testing the waters because of not knowing and no signs posted.

I concur. The point is to show that normal people who are respectful of the rights of others can OC without the world coming to a bloody apocalyptic end. The point ISN'T to show that you can get away with being a d*ck.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Apparently the OP is not happy with your responses - asking him to act responsibly....really.

It's a shame the OP didn't have a more open mind and entered into a genuine conversation. He might have benefited from such.

eye95

It would have been better had the OP been receptive to the message. However, as I find myself continually pointing out, it is rarely the person to whom you are posting that you are trying to sway. It is those who read, but do not reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

MVD

So, here I am. Crawling out of my cave to discuss my old workplace again. :lol:

Anyway, let me fill you in on a couple things if OP even still cares. Also could be for future reference.

I do have a few individuals I know that work there. I remember at some point last year when I ran into one of them they told me about an incident with an OCer that resulted in their security manager to allow OC. However do not take this as full on legal advice or anything to the allowance of carry there. After I had heard that OCing was allowed, I actually OCed twice at the mall. I had no incident with security - and they were guards that I did not know from when I worked there (which is about all of them. Most have all moved on). Got a glance from one but they did nothing about it. Did not approach. At the time there were no signs restricting carry.

However this can change on a whim knowing that place. The manager is wishy-washy and flip-flops a lot. The security manager is not very reliable. I know him from a previous employment. He is anti-gun and some of the employees there have told me he is trying to push the mall to put up signs. I also heard he would kick out CCers when he first start, flipped around, allowed it, then allowed OC...so it's highly unreliable as to what ruleset you will stumble into.

The basic rule of thumb is no signs no problem. The mall has been CC friendly, at least when I was there. I personally kept the no guns sign from coming up on two instances where they wanted to put them up. Some other staff members also kept them from going up before I worked there as well from what I have heard. As other posters have said - do not call ahead.

However that being said remember the mall is still private property. They can ask you to leave for just about anything. They could kick you out for wearing pink shoes in theory. The plan of OCing then telling them off and to deal with your lawyer will not go well for you. Their first reaction will be to call the police and the police will always take the side of the business when it comes to trespassing (which is what it becomes when you refuse to leave). If you're asked to leave just do it. Fight the battle behind the scenes with management. Being on the "front lines" will just get you in trouble and damage the cause.

So, as I said. I have done it without problems. But rules are a flavor of the day for that place. Give it a shot and report back and let us know how it went. If it was warmer, I'd do it myself. But it's a bit cold for me to justify OCing. :)

Last edited: