Thread: 2014 Legislature

2014 Legislature

Well the bills have started to come rolling in and even though there is still a week left to get them submitted, there have already been some firearms related bill turned in for this session.

SB1240 Firearms and the Bus Passenger Safety Act
    Would allow permit holders to carry firearms, open or concealed while on public buses

SB1258 Unconcealed handguns demand for certain documents
    Would allow LEO to also demand OK drivers license or state ID along with your permit if you are OC

SB1264 Firearms modifying places for unlawful carry
    Would allow carry in government buildings (other than federal) unless a security checkpoint must be gone through when entering. Adds Courthouse to list of prohibited places. Looks like it removes the parking lot exemption from sports arenas during professional sporting events and also places that offer para-mutual wagering. Removes the exemption for areas around buildings that are prohibited by the section...guess that would mean no more carrying at rallies at the capital. Removes the Administrative fine for violating the prohibited places list.

SB1266 Application for firearms deleting certain requirement
    Removes the SSN requirement from the handgun license application

HB2324 Providing for individual firearms license for FGFSZA
    If you are legally allowed to own a firearm in the state, you qualify for exemption from the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act

HB2351 Common Sense Zero Tolerance Act
    Prevents schools from punishing students for brandishing pastries that may or may not be partially eaten that may resemble a firearm, from wearing clothing that supports the 2A, from talking about weapons and munitions, from drawing or having pictures of weapons and such.

More to come as I find them.
    Last edited by hrdware; 01-17-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Fixed link for SB1258
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice

http://www.ktul.com/story/24400481/r...-tolerance-act

I weep for the future. Idiocracy at it's finest and it's quickly becoming the prevailing nature.

schools

They need to change it to where each school board decides what their schools weapons policy will be.

More Bills

SB1334 preventing law enforcement from disarming people on their own property
    Specifies that absent RAS of a crime, someone cannot be disarmed for carrying a firearm on their own property.

SB1357 Allowing County Commissioners to carry firearms anywhere in the state
    Why must we constantly exempt persons in a government office and give them more "liberty" than everyone else??

SB1363 Allowing College and Tech Centers to make their own firearms rules for general public
    Universities and Tech centers can grant students permission to carry on campus, but the student would have to carry that permission slip with them. This would allow the college or university to make a blanket policy for non-students.

SB1442 Allowing retired or defeated district attorneys to carry a firearm anywhere in the state
    See comment for SB1357

SB1466 Changes to College Carry
    Colleges would no longer have to report SDA infractions to OSBI. They would also become exempt from liability for allowing persons to carry on the property

SB1473 Piers Morgan Constitutional Right To Keep and Bear Arms Without Infringement Act

Legislated unlicensed open (and long gun on a sling) carry

SB1753 Provides parking lot exemption in school parking lots

Would allow you to leave your firearm in your car, parked on school property, while you go inside

SB2079 Modify definition of pistol
    From something that can "...discharge a projectile..." to "...discharge projectiles..."

SB2101 Universal Background Checks

Would require background checks when individuals are selling a firearm at a gun show as an exhibitor. Seller would have to keep records. Buyers are exempt if they have a Handgun License. This needs to die in committee.

SB2109 Limits purchases to 1 of any type of firearm per month
    Self explanatory. This needs to die in committee

HJR 1085 Constitutional Carry
    Would put fourth a change to the OK constitution to a vote of the people that would require strict scrutiny when legislating carry of firearms.

HB3414 Revocation of License
    Allows family members to get a handgun license revoked if you become mentally unstable
    Last edited by hrdware; 01-17-2014 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Corrected statement

What is the point of the pistol definition change? I mean I can see it going several different ways and it could actually make things more confusing. For example my XDm40, while being able to fire "multiple projectiles" in rapid succession can still only fire "a projectile" at a time. So, pistol or not? What about a single-shot derringer? To me a single shot derringer wouldn't fall under the definition of a pistol, while a multi-shot one would...but only if it discharged all rounds with a single pull. In fact the new definition makes it seem that unless either multiple barrels are firing at once or the gun is designed to shoot shot (like the judge, or those anti-snake shot rounds for .22LR for example) that no gun would really be a pistol because they are all designed to fire "a [single] projectile" at a time.

A better definition would simply be a weapon designed to fire a projectile (or projectiles) which would be considered reasonably lethal to humans, has a pistol-grip, no stock, and is less than 16" in barrel length.

Contact info...

Is there an online tool or link that will show us what reps. to contact to show our support for certain bills? I get confused about Senate vs House. This is a Senate bill correct?

I am really for several of these, I see a few that are not good. Specifically, I am really for SB 1264. I work in a Government building and (by current law) can't protect myself in the place where I spend the majority of my time. I would feel much more safe having the ability to defend myself if needed. I want them to know this and will most likely send a hand written letter as well as contact via phone and email. Also, I have to be very careful to remember to disarm when I am carrying the smaller pocket pistols as they are easy to forget.
    Last edited by elireloaded; 01-21-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elireloaded View Post
    Is there an online tool or link that will show us what reps. to contact to show our support for certain bills? I get confused about Senate vs House. This is a Senate bill correct?

I am really for several of these, I see a few that are not good. Specifically, I am really for SB 1264. I work in a Government building and (by current law) can't protect myself in the place where I spend the majority of my time. I would feel much more safe having the ability to defend myself if needed. I want them to know this and will most likely send a hand written letter as well as contact via phone and email. Also, I have to be very careful to remember to disarm when I am carrying the smaller pocket pistols as they are easy to forget.
    Here is a link that will show you our senators and representatives, just make sure you are contacting your state legislators not federal
    http://www.oklegislature.gov/FindMyLegislature.aspx

SB is a bill that starts in the senate and HB means it starts in the house.

SB1753 Provides parking lot exemption in school parking lots
    Would allow you to leave your firearm in your car, parked on school property, while you go inside
    I think I may have interpreted this incorrectly. It seems this bill would prevent you from carrying your handgun at all on school property, even for drop off and pick up. This one needs to die in committee.

Another Bill

HB2887 - Carry on College Campus
    Would require college, university, and tech centers to grant permission to anyone with a handgun license unless they could prove the person in question had been violent on campus.

SB 1473
    Firearms; creating the Piers Morgan Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms Without Infringement Act. Effective date.

Oh my, that's getting creative! Alex Jones is gonna have a field day if that one passes LOL.