• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

False compartment bill in Virginia!

Repeater

I had already posted the horrors here. Now, Scott A. Surovell wants to bring that Ohio atrocity here:

HB 941 Operating a vehicle or vessel containing a false compartment; penalty.
Operating a vehicle or vessel containing a false compartment; penalty. Provides that it is a Class 6 felony for a person to (i) own or operate a vehicle or vessel containing a false or secret compartment, (ii) install, create, build, or fabricate in any vehicle or vessel a false or secret compartment, or (iii) sell, trade, or otherwise dispose of any vehicle or vessel containing a false or secret compartment. The bill defines a "false or secret compartment" as any enclosure that is integrated into or attached to a vehicle or vessel, the purpose of which is to conceal, hide, or prevent the discovery of a person, controlled substance, or other contraband.

A Class 6 Felony!!

BrianB

How exactly does one tell the difference between a compartment "the purpose of which is to conceal, hide, or prevent the discovery of a person, controlled substance, or other contraband" vs. for the purpose of hiding a legal firearm or other valuables?

Repeater

How exactly does one tell the difference between a compartment "the purpose of which is to conceal, hide, or prevent the discovery of a person, controlled substance, or other contraband" vs. for the purpose of hiding a legal firearm or other valuables?

The usual experts will opine: "That's for the courts to decide."

Of course that doesn't stop innocent citizens from being arrested.

TFred

Obviously, as in the Ohio case, the arresting officer, in his or her professional opinion, "thought" that the guy looked like a drug runner, and "thought" that they smelled pot, even though later tests showed there was none.

This bill must be killed and fast.

TFred

Blk97F150

Another felony to be twisted against law abiding citizens.

No kidding!! Based on the description in the bill.... (and the 'in-ter-pra-tat-tion' of the police officer).... many stock vehicles could have 'secret compartments' right off the showroom floor. :uhoh:

scouser

Well I suppose all those people who sell those magnetic hide-a-key boxes are going out of business. And, does anyone have one of those (I think it's the Dodge Caravan) minivans with stow-a-way seating?

I'd ask "just how stupid are these people?" but I think we already know the answer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Illegal drugs are still illegal, but such containers/compartments would make it "illegaler." :banghead:

Wonder how many drug dealers have been stopped with clean (no drug residue) hidden compartments?

It's a charge to make felons of otherwise well intentioned people.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Illegal drugs are still illegal, but such containers/compartments would make it "illegaler." :banghead:

Wonder how many drug dealers have been stopped with clean (no drug residue) hidden compartments?

It's a charge to make felons of otherwise well intentioned people.

Operating a vehicle or vessel containing a false

I have a cart I move all my equipment on. I'll have it on lobby day. I added a lockable gun safe on it. I guess that would be a felony.:uhoh:

Jeff Hayes

A hidden compartment law does what exactly? The reality is it is just an add on charge to an unlawful act that we already have laws against. Stupid stupid stupid.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Is it? Or is it a stand alone felony?

The way it's written it looks like a stand alone to me.

It's so poorly written I don't think it'll pass muster with the Supreme Court, but how many lives will be ruined before someone takes it that far.

Repeater

Watercraft

And don't forget, it also applies to watercraft. Many boats, by design, have 'nooks and crannies' where you can stow stuff - gee, a marine felony!