• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recorders required

SAvage410

If only politicians were as scrutinized as we, by LE.
Why yes. We've had our own "lawmaker" unsafely handling firearms in the chamber

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-It-s-not-safe-for-ANYONE-to-carry-at-Capitol

and now this, from Kentucky:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ky-lawmaker-fires-gun-office-calls-mistake-21467115

and this from New York:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/06/what-a-glock-new-york-dhs-head-uses-gun-as-laser-pointer/

Seems the police have more to fear from errant legislators and other "officials" than from peaceable citizens.

va_tazdad

I do not

I gotta tell you, I don't envy them, they got a tough job. They're getting it from all sides. They have target hazards not just for the protection of lawmakers, but for the protection of the large amount of people going in and out of there. The name and address is overly excessive, but whether I do not agree, I do sympathize.

One scenario I think is not out of the realm of possibilities is for the gun-grabbers to find a nut within their ranks (not at all hard to do) one that is really down for the struggle to go off and purposefully pop a round to discredit gun owners. That would automatically put us on the defense. If I made the rules, here goes....... I would make some form of retention holster for pistols mandatory with all barrels facing the floor, that'd go for LEO too. I was in the elevator several years ago and some nut pulled a single action pistol out of his holster to show someone. I think it was a black powder showpiece. There were others not with us that were in the elevator, I cringed. I regret not saying anything.

I have kind of digressed a little bit, but whether I may not agree, I do sympathize with them.

In related news, there is an article today about a Kentucky Lawmaker and a negligent discharge.

sympathize with them. And you do not make the "rules". Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda have no basis in reality, just memory.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I gotta tell you, I don't envy them, they got a tough job. They're getting it from all sides. They have target hazards not just for the protection of lawmakers, but for the protection of the large amount of people going in and out of there. The name and address is overly excessive, but whether I do not agree, I do sympathize.

One scenario I think is not out of the realm of possibilities is for the gun-grabbers to find a nut within their ranks (not at all hard to do) one that is really down for the struggle to go off and purposefully pop a round to discredit gun owners. That would automatically put us on the defense. If I made the rules, here goes....... I would make some form of retention holster for pistols mandatory with all barrels facing the floor, that'd go for LEO too. I was in the elevator several years ago and some nut pulled a single action pistol out of his holster to show someone. I think it was a black powder showpiece. There were others not with us that were in the elevator, I cringed. I regret not saying anything.

I have kind of digressed a little bit, but whether I may not agree, I do sympathize with them.

In related news, there is an article today about a Kentucky Lawmaker and a negligent discharge.

A requirement to "register" to access the GAB is a fine example of both prior restraint and coercion/intimidation. The Government has no business tracking my activities in relation to assembling and seeking redress of grievances, with the possible exception of a "speakers list" to control time and keep someone from cutting into the line of citizens patiently waiting to speak. I prefer when they hand out numbers, but few places use that system.

To suggest that persons with guns are more dangerous, or more likely to become dangerous, than any other group of citizens is an insult that will not be tolerated. On Lobby Day there are groups of folks with serious mental health problems (no, not whatever the current PC term for "retardation" is) that are not subjected to the stigma and paranoid projection that those with guns have been singled out for. Several of those have significant histories of aggressive/assaultive behavior, which I am not aware of among those with guns. Nobody seems to be concerned for the safety of the Capitol Police and the magnatometer workers (mostly retired Capitol Police but certainly not LEO) regarding those folks. Why not?

stay safe.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
If SCOTUS says that LEOs do NOT have a duty to protect, why would you think differently?

I know this without an internet search. The case you are referring to is Castle Rock Vs. Gonzalaz. In Castle Rock Colorado.

They do not have a duty to protect the individual, but they do have a duty to police and protect the capital and that would include the masses. I'm sure "to protect" falls under their job description somewhere even if we all know there is no duty to protect the individual.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Unsafe handling/AD/ND can only be eliminated by eliminating guns - an idea to which you are unfortunately contributing in a high profile way.

That's just ridiculous, forum moderator or not, you've taken one heck of a liberty bunching me in with that crowd. And bull! guns don't go off by themselves. Just like that corrections officer at VCU and how the article was written - like the gun just decided to go off on it's own and not a negligent discharge.

You ever lump me with an anti again, even in a dream, when you wake up you ought to call me and apologize. You have my cell number Grape! lol

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's just ridiculous, forum moderator or not, you've taken one heck of a liberty bunching me in with that crowd. And bull! guns don't go off by themselves. Just like that corrections officer at VCU and how the article was written - like the gun just decided to go off on it's own and not a negligent discharge.

You ever lump me with an anti again, even in a dream, when you wake up you ought to call me and apologize. You have my cell number Grape! lol
PM sent - this really needs to stop.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
PM sent - this really needs to stop.

Yeah, I agree. TD, I changed my post because you had a point. What you did, you did because that's what you believed. I respect that. I don't agree with it, but respect it.

This thread isn't about you, it's about problems we'll have with the Capitol Police and the back room wrangling with the anti members at the GA.

I've been spending some time there lately and was there today. What I do and I expect Grapeshot and VCDL are on the same road, may make the difference between a normal Lobby Day and a cluster.

This thread is just to prepare everyone for the cluster. I'm concerned enough about it that I resigned some privileges I have with the Senate so I could be closer to this.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Any updates on the situation/climate that has led to concern about potential treatment of those who carry on Lobby Day?

Is PVC aware/engaged with respect to these concerns?

kennys

Should I expect issues with duel carry one open one concealed? Will have recorder in tow locked and loaded.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Blk97F150

I hope that one specific Open Carry'er walks into the GA with an attorney on one side, a videographer on the other, and an audio recorder on his belt (or perhaps attached to his pistol sling). :uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In response to my email to the Chief of CP, I have exchanged emails with and spoken on the phone with Capt. Goodlin - I expect no major problems. Minor ones, if they occur, can be resolved on the spot.

A CHP or vaild permit from a recognized state is required to carry in the GAB - no method of carry or number is either specified or restricted.

kennys

And as as a note make sure to leave pocket knives, and nail files outside the building.:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And as as a note make sure to leave pocket knives, and nail files outside the building.:banghead:

Why would that be?

Those items have never been restricted before and I see nothing to indicate that they are now.

kennys

That's what I gathered from something said at Fredericksburg VCDL meeting a couple Sundays ago. Should I tell the other half not to worry about cleaning out the purse?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have never been in the GAB but that I was carrying a knife in my non-dominate front pocket.

No problem w/knife even when I went through the scanner.

Maverick9

Not sure I follow the whole thing about signing in at the GB.If it's not a legal requirement, just write down any old name you make up.

FBrinson

Would it be possible to get a thread started on the ins and outs of what to bring/don't bring, wear / don't wear, and general run-down of what is to be expected on Monday.
This is my first Lobby Day experience and I honestly don't know what I will be doing, who to follow around, what exactly I should be doing other than being there.
Sorry I'm a greenhorn and could use a bit of guidance here :eek: