• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NCHP hassles OC'er

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO!:lol:

"Long says after his run-in with the troopers, one of them showed up at his house yesterday and apologized for his behavior."

The above was pulled from the aticle. How the hell did the trooper get his name and address. If he pulled for no other reason than to talk to him he crossed the line. I realize he was trying to mitigate a fubar, but he made another one with the unlawful use of data.

I wish I could ask Mr. Long if he gave the troopers his ID. If this had been my house I would get a RO for the troopers. This is equal to a thug/criminal coming to his victims house to apologize thinking it absolves them of the original crime.

I am surprised at these two troopers as I have rarely had contact with them other then CD inspections, and one stop where the trooper was later arrested.

OC for ME

One of two troopers apologized.....hmm.....

High turnover rate "down there" is attributed by one comment posted to the news story as the reason why the cops did not know the law. Hmm.....are they going through troops at a accelerated rate down there? Anyway, not knowing the law seems to be the norm, down there.

MyBHP

"Long says after his run-in with the troopers, one of them showed up at his house yesterday and apologized for his behavior."

The above was pulled from the aticle. How the hell did the trooper get his name and address. If he pulled for no other reason than to talk to him he crossed the line. I realize he was trying to mitigate a fubar, but he made another one with the unlawful use of data".

I was wondering the same thing, I also would consider the RO...

ron73440

This story surprises me, I've eaten dinner right next to two NCHP and all they did was glance at me. I've also been to different events where they have been around and I don't even think I got a second look.

Fallschirjmäger

"... How the hell did the trooper get his name and address. If he pulled for no other reason than to talk to him he crossed the line. I realize he was trying to mitigate a fubar, but he made another one with the unlawful use of data.

I wish I could ask Mr. Long if he gave the troopers his ID. If this had been my house I would get a RO for the troopers. This is equal to a thug/criminal coming to his victims house to apologize thinking it absolves them of the original crime.

I am surprised at these two troopers as I have rarely had contact with them other then CD inspections, and one stop where the trooper was later arrested.
I've never had an interaction (aside from one "hi, how ya doing, hot enough for ya?") with an officer where he did not ask for identification. It's pretty much SOP as in every state I can think of you're required to present if it stopped for a traffic infraction, and cops "like to know who they're talking to." It's a marvelous way for them to subtly entice someone to stay around when they have someone's driving license in hand and they can't just get in their car and drive off.

I'll just tell them to stick it in the nearest mailbox, it'll get back to me eventually.

WalkingWolf

I've never had an interaction (aside from one "hi, how ya doing, hot enough for ya?") with an officer where he did not ask for identification. It's pretty much SOP as in every state I can think of you're required to present if it stopped for a traffic infraction, and cops "like to know who they're talking to." It's a marvelous way for them to subtly entice someone to stay around when they have someone's driving license in hand and they can't just get in their car and drive off.

I'll just tell them to stick it in the nearest mailbox, it'll get back to me eventually.

In NC you are not required to ID for open carry. OC is not RAS of crime per US V Black, no crime, no RAS, no ID. ID is required for CC, BUT the problem the troopers had appears to be open carry. I had a incident with a deputy recently that started asking where I lived, I refused to answer, he eventually moved on.

The trooper showing up at his home to supposedly "apologize" was harassment. It could be taken as a "I know where you and your family live." The trooper should be disciplined for it no matter how he got the information.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
It's funny to see Paul Valone of GRNC posting in the article wanting to help Mr. Long with his problem. GRNC has long been known to be hostile to OC as long as it get's them what they want with CC.

solus

It's funny to see Paul Valone of GRNC posting in the article wanting to help Mr. Long with his problem. GRNC has long been known to be hostile to OC as long as it get's them what they want with CC.

maybe paul thinks he is presenting, for his organization, a kinder, nobler, face for 2014...

or he needs the brownie points for someone in the GA...

either way it is uncharacteristic of the organization.

ipse

Maverick9

In NC you are not required to ID for open carry. OC is not RAS of crime per US V Black, no crime, no RAS, no ID. ID is required for CC, BUT the problem the troopers had appears to be open carry. I had a incident with a deputy recently that started asking where I lived, I refused to answer, he eventually moved on.

The trooper showing up at his home to supposedly "apologize" was harassment. It could be taken as a "I know where you and your family live." The trooper should be disciplined for it no matter how he got the information.

This. (shakes head sadly)

Maverick9

File a complaint against both troopers.

Not to be argumentative, but do you know of what you speak? With whom do you file? Does it require a lawyer?

ISTM to be a waste of time, even with a legal filing. You'd have to 'prove' or have evidence of what you're saying (it's odd enough that it's probably deniable).

So first you'd have to FOIA, then you'd have to prove the LEO came to your house, and what he said. (Do we now have to answer the door recorder running?)

Then you'd have to file with an agency other than LE, because we all know what happens to those ("it's an internal matter...we'll get back to you when pigs fly. HTH")

WalkingWolf

Not to be argumentative, but do you know of what you speak? With whom do you file? Does it require a lawyer?

ISTM to be a waste of time, even with a legal filing. You'd have to 'prove' or have evidence of what you're saying (it's odd enough that it's probably deniable).

So first you'd have to FOIA, then you'd have to prove the LEO came to your house, and what he said. (Do we now have to answer the door recorder running?)

Then you'd have to file with an agency other than LE, because we all know what happens to those ("it's an internal matter...we'll get back to you when pigs fly. HTH")

Complaints against police departments or officers are filed with NC SBI. The problem with this is the same as filing a complaint with the FBI, they are tied at the hip to local LEA. But NC has had police officers held accountable, and in Charlotte. Three officers were arrested in I believe Durham last year for breaking and entering, they were off duty but claimed they were acting to arrest a thief. The prosecutor and their own department did not buy it. We here in NC seem to have a better than average record of holding police accountable.

Last edited: