• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL's 2014 Legislation Tracking Tool is up

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks AT!

Not a lot I want to take issue with THIS YEAR.....But I am concerned about being Neutral on HB102.

That needs to be strongly opposed.

AtackDuck

Welcome

Thanks AT!

Not a lot I want to take issue with THIS YEAR.....But I am concerned about being Neutral on HB102.

That needs to be strongly opposed.

HB 102 seems to be just more 'piled higher and deeper'. "Prohibits the possession of weapons in legislative buildings except by any person who lawfully possesses a handgun." Does this mean that a person who illegally possesses a handgun can legally possess weapons anywhere else in Virginia? Give me a break! If a person illegally possesses a handgun in Virginia, then it is by default illegal to possess them in the legislative buildings. Patrick Hope is the consummate idiot legislator, with too much time on his hands.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
HB 102 seems to be just more 'piled higher and deeper'. "Prohibits the possession of weapons in legislative buildings except by any person who lawfully possesses a handgun." Does this mean that a person who illegally possesses a handgun can legally possess weapons anywhere else in Virginia? Give me a break! If a person illegally possesses a handgun in Virginia, then it is by default illegal to possess them in the legislative buildings. Patrick Hope is the consummate idiot legislator, with too much time on his hands.

It leaves the method of screening up to the CP's. That's an open invitation to abuse and more record keeping.

george11c

So many antigun bills!

This is the first year I have been following the legislative process here in Virginia. The amount and impact of many of these antigun bills really concerns me. Many of them seem like solutions in search of problems. :banghead:

Based on past years, looks like many are simply killed off. Hopefully, they don't go anywhere while the pro-rights bills pass through.

How do you guys think it will go this year?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is the first year I have been following the legislative process here in Virginia. The amount and impact of many of these antigun bills really concerns me. Many of them seem like solutions in search of problems. :banghead:

Based on past years, looks like many are simply killed off. Hopefully, they don't go anywhere while the pro-rights bills pass through.

How do you guys think it will go this year?

No forward progress and hopefully no back peddling, but there are a lot of bills that have hidden meaning. They look Pro on the surface but have a hook embedded.

VCDL President

Centurion
Open carry

I don't want Thundar to have a heart attack so don't tell him about this one. The reason we were neutral is that the new wording would have allowed open carry without a CHP in the General Assembly. Hope didn't get that is what his bill was allowing. So he was actually making things better. But we had no problem with the bill getting killed since Hope wasn't a good choice to carry it as it wasn't what he meant to do and if it got corrupted, we couldn't count on him to kill it. Hence our neutrality, as opposed to actually pushing the bill. We certainly didn't want to oppose something that would have removed the permit requirement for entering the GAB.

Again, shhhhh, but we got on bill to help with non-permit holders that clarifies that no need for locked glove box, only closed. It is currently law, but not cleanly. That bill has cleared the House. We also were working on a clarification so that a person OCing could just sit in a car even if his gun was temporarily out of sight due to his seat belt or because he was carrying in the small of his back. That one is tough and we ran out of time this year, so we'll come back next year hopefully.