Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AZ vet fires in defense of his wife, charged with a felony

AZ vet fires in defense of his wife, charged with a felony

Mervin Brewer, a former Marine, was charged with Unlawful Discharge of a Firearm, which is a felony, after witnessing a couple pull a gun on a Sears employee while Mrs. Brewer was exiting from that same doorway. Fearing for the lives of Mrs. Brewer and the Sears employee, he fired four shots at the criminals, who were not hit and sped away on a motorcyle. They were caught soon after and charged with several felonies. Fast forward and now Mr. Brewer is being charged with a felony as well.

http://likeomggunsareforlosers.blogs...ne-and-no.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...s-against-him/

My best bet...
    Officer Friendly looked in the AZ code book for discharging firearms, unlawful.
    Using his comprehensive skills, he noticed that although there is a section for "...In self-defense or defense of another person against an animal attack.." but no corresponding sub-section regarding defense against humans.

C. This section does not apply if the firearm is discharged:
    1. As allowed pursuant to chapter 4 of this title.
    (link provided by author)
    Such a tiny thing, you can hardly blame the officer for missing it, really.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-09-2014 at 03:11 PM.

From the news report, he hit 2 cars and a tree as he was FIRING TOWARDS THE STORE and his wife from a considerable distance, for a pistol. No word on where the fourth round landed. Guy was stupid and dangerous. He put people in more danger than the perps did with their fake gun.

Woulda been kinda silly to not fire towards the store as that was where the threat presented itself, don'cha think?

Did he hit anyone? Nope.
    Did the cops in NYC? Yep and you betcha.

If trained professionals can hit citizens with stray shots get away with it, and a rank amateur not hit bystanders and be charged, then there is something seriously wrong with today's jurisprudence.

Funny thing, I did a websearch for "nyc cops charged shooting bystanders" to see what the latest news on the subject might be.
    The top results on the first page are all about how a guy without a gun is being charged with wounding people.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-09-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    From the news report, he hit 2 cars and a tree as he was FIRING TOWARDS THE STORE and his wife from a considerable distance, for a pistol. No word on where the fourth round landed. Guy was stupid and dangerous. He put people in more danger than the perps did with their fake gun.
    You're looking at it with hindsight. How could Mr. Brewer know that it was fake at the moment? Here's what he saw: two perps in a confrontation with a Sears employee, one peep with an object that appears to be a real handgun and his wife caught in the middle of it.

While you may be willing to condemn Mr. Brewer for doing what a good husband must, I sure hope you are not willing to gamble your wife's life.

Banned
    This is Glendale police chief, Debora Black. She can be reached at (623) 930-3000.

she looks like she's 16 yr old ....

Someone said "far away" ... shooting a handgun beyond 50 yds .. is this too far?

The gentleman should only be charged with being a horrible shot and sentenced to more range practice..

Best regards.

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    This is Glendale police chief, Debora Black.--snipped--

And the problem with having a youthful appearance is....?

https://www.glendaleaz.com/police/ExecutiveStaff.cfm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    And the problem with having a youthful appearance is....?

https://www.glendaleaz.com/police/ExecutiveStaff.cfm
    I just wondered how she climbed the corporate ladder ...

This is my take being in the area. Many PD's are becoming more anti as liberals are gaining power in the large metro areas.(Tucson & Phoenix) Remember Police chiefs are not elected. They are appointed by city Mayors. Combine this with tens of millions of dollars being poured into Arizona by the likes of Bloomberg and one can see a direct influence on those in government. The video on CBS 5 does not show the shots being fired, however they were kind enough to include a interview with a former prosecutor, in which he stated he would have reacted the same way and is doubtful the Maricopa Co. Prosecutor will take action on the charges brought by the Glendale PD.

On a side note - while many people carry in AZ less than .5% do so openly in the metro areas. This means that violent offenders are likely to mistake potential victims as being helpless and the chance of a gun battle are raised in my opinion. Concealed carry is an Offensive tactic, which for a civilian is a no no, only police have that option. While OC is a defensive tactic with a deterrent value. I wonder if this chic would have pulled her fake pistol if dozens of honest citizens would have been near all wearing sidearms?

Doubt it? I'm glad no one got hurt.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    The gentleman should only be charged with being a horrible shot and sentenced to more range practice..

Best regards.

CCJ
    Amen!
    This is Glendale police chief, Debora Black. She can be reached at (623) 930-3000.

Someone said "far away" ... shooting a handgun beyond 50 yds .. is this too far?
    in this case...yes...and no.

Photoshop may be to blame.

Why don't you call her and ask?
    Sent using Tapatalk 2.

She's not that good looking. A handsome woman, yes, but not a great beauty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L169_CIFR00cc63738120297280163a6c07412fd1.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	11105  
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-10-2014 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post

She's not that good looking. A handsome woman, yes, but not a great beauty.
    Still, have to admit she appears to have aged gracefully.

On topic: perhaps this case will help the Vet receive an early "refund" from the benign, all-powerful entity known as "the Fed".

To tag along with what FreeInAZ was saying: people seem to have short memories, and the influx of people from the land to the West of Arizona is slowly making certain areas less hospitable. I ask anyone who visits our state (especially from more oppressive states) to please Open Carry in our state. Bring along some friends, and they may like it so much and see how normal it is that they'll start OCing too.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Would seem to be a sexist remark - totally out of place here.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    You're looking at it with hindsight. How could Mr. Brewer know that it was fake at the moment? Here's what he saw: two perps in a confrontation with a Sears employee, one peep with an object that appears to be a real handgun and his wife caught in the middle of it.

While you may be willing to condemn Mr. Brewer for doing what a good husband must, I sure hope you are not willing to gamble your wife's life.
    If his wife was caught in the middle of it, he should not have been firing in her direction, what with his demonstrably bad aim.

Quote Originally Posted by beebobby View Post
    If his wife was caught in the middle of it, he should not have been firing in her direction, what with his demonstrably bad aim.
    Good lord, take an expression out of context. I'm not arguing the straw man.

OK - timeout folks. None of us was there. So we can only speculate what we would do. God forbid - if we should ever have to make such a call. I "think" this man really thought his wife was about to be shot. That possibly being the case, ask yourself: if I saw someone pointing a gun at my wife would I wait until she was shot to take action? For those hung up on accuracy or lack of it in this case - it may have been there was no clear shot at the female "subject"? So the shots may have been off target by design to draw the criminals attention and fire away from his wife? What ever the case was? His action seemed to work.

I look at it this way - anyone who would pull a fake gun, would surely use a real gun if they had one!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    OK - timeout folks. None of us was there. So we can only speculate what we would do. God forbid - if we should ever have to make such a call. I "think" this man really thought his wife was about to be shot. That possibly being the case, ask yourself: if I saw someone pointing a gun at my wife would I wait until she was shot to take action? For those hung up on accuracy or lack of it in this case - it may have been there was no clear shot at the female "subject"? So the shots may have been off target by design to draw the criminals attention and fire away from his wife? What ever the case was? His action seemed to work.

I look at it this way - anyone who would pull a fake gun, would surely use a real gun if they had one!
    Avoiding knee jerk reactions, assumption of facts not in evidence, and guessed conclusions does indeed seem a better course, does it not?

Comprehension difficulties? 'She looks like a teenager...wonder how she (had time to) climb(ed) the corporate ladder'.

Or maybe just being *******?
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-10-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Verbiage

Originally Posted by davidmcbeth

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Comprehension difficulties? 'She looks like a teenager...wonder how she (had time to) climb(ed) the corporate ladder'.

Or maybe just being *******?
    If out of context quotes are held in disfavor, so is suggesting/putting words in another's mouth.

Had time to climb the corporate ladder? Really or just poor taste for its own sake? Consider the source and then tell me he was being complimentary.

Chief Black has been on that ladder for over 33 years and would seem to have added to her creds the old fashioned way - through a quality education in her chosen field and an ever increasing variety of work experiences. That is not to say that she is not subject to criticism when people find an exception or flaw in her policies.

Good old boy jokes/references and innuendos will find no favor here - I will support no glass ceiling.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-10-2014 at 05:32 PM.

She is hot.....don't tell my Dear Wife. Good for the Chief.

Anyway, let the process work. The state seems to have the burden to prove his justification was not reasonable. It will be interesting case regardless of the outcome.

Davidmcbeth..

David my friend, if you think she looks 16 yrs old, then you better get your vision checked.... In my humble opinion she looks like an older version of Merle Streep...

My .02

Best regards.

CCJ
    Last edited by countryclubjoe; 01-10-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

I will support no glass ceiling.
    Soooo...no throwing stones?

Quote Originally Posted by wimwag View Post
    Soooo...no throwing stones?
    While off-topic, people in glass houses shouldn't.

While off-topic, people in glass houses shouldn't.
    Please stay on topic or I shall have report you. Wait I'll report myself too and ..and...

On topic hopefully more /better video or witnesses come forward so we get a good idea of the actual events.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-10-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast