• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AZ vet fires in defense of his wife, charged with a felony

wimwag

Mervin Brewer, a former Marine, was charged with Unlawful Discharge of a Firearm, which is a felony, after witnessing a couple pull a gun on a Sears employee while Mrs. Brewer was exiting from that same doorway. Fearing for the lives of Mrs. Brewer and the Sears employee, he fired four shots at the criminals, who were not hit and sped away on a motorcyle. They were caught soon after and charged with several felonies. Fast forward and now Mr. Brewer is being charged with a felony as well.

http://likeomggunsareforlosers.blogspot.com/2014/01/liberalism-in-action-everyone-and-no.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...olice-will-be-submitting-charges-against-him/

Fallschirjmäger

My best bet...
Officer Friendly looked in the AZ code book for discharging firearms, unlawful.
Using his comprehensive skills, he noticed that although there is a section for "...In self-defense or defense of another person against an animal attack.." but no corresponding sub-section regarding defense against humans.

C. This section does not apply if the firearm is discharged:
1. As allowed pursuant to chapter 4 of this title.
(link provided by author)
Such a tiny thing, you can hardly blame the officer for missing it, really.

Last edited:

beebobby

From the news report, he hit 2 cars and a tree as he was FIRING TOWARDS THE STORE and his wife from a considerable distance, for a pistol. No word on where the fourth round landed. Guy was stupid and dangerous. He put people in more danger than the perps did with their fake gun.

Fallschirjmäger

Woulda been kinda silly to not fire towards the store as that was where the threat presented itself, don'cha think?

Did he hit anyone? Nope.
Did the cops in NYC? Yep and you betcha.

If trained professionals can hit citizens with stray shots get away with it, and a rank amateur not hit bystanders and be charged, then there is something seriously wrong with today's jurisprudence.

Funny thing, I did a websearch for "nyc cops charged shooting bystanders" to see what the latest news on the subject might be.
The top results on the first page are all about how a guy without a gun is being charged with wounding people.

Last edited:

wimwag

From the news report, he hit 2 cars and a tree as he was FIRING TOWARDS THE STORE and his wife from a considerable distance, for a pistol. No word on where the fourth round landed. Guy was stupid and dangerous. He put people in more danger than the perps did with their fake gun.

You're looking at it with hindsight. How could Mr. Brewer know that it was fake at the moment? Here's what he saw: two perps in a confrontation with a Sears employee, one peep with an object that appears to be a real handgun and his wife caught in the middle of it.

While you may be willing to condemn Mr. Brewer for doing what a good husband must, I sure hope you are not willing to gamble your wife's life.

davidmcbeth

Banned
This is Glendale police chief, Debora Black. She can be reached at (623) 930-3000.

she looks like she's 16 yr old ....

Someone said "far away" ... shooting a handgun beyond 50 yds .. is this too far?

countryclubjoe

The gentleman should only be charged with being a horrible shot and sentenced to more range practice..

Best regards.

CCJ

FreeInAZ

This is my take being in the area. Many PD's are becoming more anti as liberals are gaining power in the large metro areas.(Tucson & Phoenix) Remember Police chiefs are not elected. They are appointed by city Mayors. Combine this with tens of millions of dollars being poured into Arizona by the likes of Bloomberg and one can see a direct influence on those in government. The video on CBS 5 does not show the shots being fired, however they were kind enough to include a interview with a former prosecutor, in which he stated he would have reacted the same way and is doubtful the Maricopa Co. Prosecutor will take action on the charges brought by the Glendale PD.

On a side note - while many people carry in AZ less than .5% do so openly in the metro areas. This means that violent offenders are likely to mistake potential victims as being helpless and the chance of a gun battle are raised in my opinion. Concealed carry is an Offensive tactic, which for a civilian is a no no, only police have that option. While OC is a defensive tactic with a deterrent value. I wonder if this chic would have pulled her fake pistol if dozens of honest citizens would have been near all wearing sidearms?

Doubt it? I'm glad no one got hurt.

wimwag

The gentleman should only be charged with being a horrible shot and sentenced to more range practice..

Best regards.

CCJ
Amen!
This is Glendale police chief, Debora Black. She can be reached at (623) 930-3000.

she looks like she's 16 yr old ....

Someone said "far away" ... shooting a handgun beyond 50 yds .. is this too far?
in this case...yes...and no.

Photoshop may be to blame.

I just wondered how she climbed the corporate ladder ...
Why don't you call her and ask?
Sent using Tapatalk 2.

Fallschirjmäger

attachment.php

She's not that good looking. A handsome woman, yes, but not a great beauty.

Attachments

• L169_CIFR00cc63738120297280163a6c07412fd1.jpg
    L169_CIFR00cc63738120297280163a6c07412fd1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 697
Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

attachment.php

She's not that good looking. A handsome woman, yes, but not a great beauty.

Still, have to admit she appears to have aged gracefully.

On topic: perhaps this case will help the Vet receive an early "refund" from the benign, all-powerful entity known as "the Fed".:D

To tag along with what FreeInAZ was saying: people seem to have short memories, and the influx of people from the land to the West of Arizona is slowly making certain areas less hospitable. I ask anyone who visits our state (especially from more oppressive states:lol:) to please Open Carry in our state. Bring along some friends, and they may like it so much and see how normal it is that they'll start OCing too.:)

beebobby

You're looking at it with hindsight. How could Mr. Brewer know that it was fake at the moment? Here's what he saw: two perps in a confrontation with a Sears employee, one peep with an object that appears to be a real handgun and his wife caught in the middle of it.

While you may be willing to condemn Mr. Brewer for doing what a good husband must, I sure hope you are not willing to gamble your wife's life.

If his wife was caught in the middle of it, he should not have been firing in her direction, what with his demonstrably bad aim.

wimwag

If his wife was caught in the middle of it, he should not have been firing in her direction, what with his demonstrably bad aim.

Good lord, take an expression out of context. I'm not arguing the straw man.

FreeInAZ

OK - timeout folks. None of us was there. So we can only speculate what we would do. God forbid - if we should ever have to make such a call. I "think" this man really thought his wife was about to be shot. That possibly being the case, ask yourself: if I saw someone pointing a gun at my wife would I wait until she was shot to take action? For those hung up on accuracy or lack of it in this case - it may have been there was no clear shot at the female "subject"? So the shots may have been off target by design to draw the criminals attention and fire away from his wife? What ever the case was? His action seemed to work.

I look at it this way - anyone who would pull a fake gun, would surely use a real gun if they had one! :eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OK - timeout folks. None of us was there. So we can only speculate what we would do. God forbid - if we should ever have to make such a call. I "think" this man really thought his wife was about to be shot. That possibly being the case, ask yourself: if I saw someone pointing a gun at my wife would I wait until she was shot to take action? For those hung up on accuracy or lack of it in this case - it may have been there was no clear shot at the female "subject"? So the shots may have been off target by design to draw the criminals attention and fire away from his wife? What ever the case was? His action seemed to work.

I look at it this way - anyone who would pull a fake gun, would surely use a real gun if they had one! :eek:
Avoiding knee jerk reactions, assumption of facts not in evidence, and guessed conclusions does indeed seem a better course, does it not?

Maverick9

Would seem to be a sexist remark - totally out of place here.

Comprehension difficulties? 'She looks like a teenager...wonder how she (had time to) climb(ed) the corporate ladder'.

Or maybe just being *******? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by davidmcbeth

I just wondered how she climbed the corporate ladder ...
Would seem to be a sexist remark - totally out of place here.
Comprehension difficulties? 'She looks like a teenager...wonder how she (had time to) climb(ed) the corporate ladder'.

Or maybe just being *******? :)
If out of context quotes are held in disfavor, so is suggesting/putting words in another's mouth.

Had time to climb the corporate ladder? Really or just poor taste for its own sake? Consider the source and then tell me he was being complimentary.

Chief Black has been on that ladder for over 33 years and would seem to have added to her creds the old fashioned way - through a quality education in her chosen field and an ever increasing variety of work experiences. That is not to say that she is not subject to criticism when people find an exception or flaw in her policies.

Good old boy jokes/references and innuendos will find no favor here - I will support no glass ceiling.

Last edited: