• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB1015: Posted, no trespassing (with a gun) -- NOT posted: Okay

Repeater

What to make of this bill?

HB 1015 Trespass; signs prohibiting trespass.
Trespass; signs prohibiting trespass. Provides that a nonresidential building shall not be considered to be posted no trespassing with regard to signs prohibiting the carrying of a firearm or a particular type of firearm unless such signs (i) have been posted where they may reasonably be seen at all entrances to the building or to the part of the building to which the restriction applies, (ii) state the nature of the prohibition in conspicuous type, and (iii) have dimensions of at least five inches by seven inches.

So, who's pushing this bill?

TFred

Very interesting. It looks as though someone is making an effort to better define what sort of signage is required before you can charge someone with trespassing if they bring a gun onto a property when the owner wants to ban guns.

I'm not sure we have a problem that needs to be solved here, and this could easily be seen as a first step to criminalize the act beyond simple trespass.

Who pushed this is indeed a very good question.

TFred

crazydude6030

And that's right. Just wondering if the winning team is behind it.

My guess is a no. Years ago when i was learning about gun laws and rights in VA i asked some people about something like this (TN has a law close to this), and everyone said it is a bad idea to throw this out there.

Right now its fine as it is. You dont want people being arrested for missing a sign and I fear a law like this will invite just that.

Edit: my bet is its the moms group behinde this since they have been pushing people to put signs up.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My guess is a no. Years ago when i was learning about gun laws and rights in VA i asked some people about something like this (TN has a law close to this), and everyone said it is a bad idea to throw this out there.

Right now its fine as it is. You dont want people being arrested for missing a sign and I fear a law like this will invite just that.

Edit: my bet is its the moms group behinde this since they have been pushing people to put signs up.
Do you know of anywhere that the Mad Moms have successfully accomplished this?

crazydude6030

Do you know of anywhere that the Mad Moms have successfully accomplished this?

No, I just know this is close to a law that TN has in place. I can also tell you from people I know in that state and reading on forums is that signage causes problems for both sides. Someone armed goes around looking for a single entrance not posted, entering then getting to yelling matches that end up with the police being invloved. Its not something any one would want to happen in this state i am sure.

My limited understanding is that when TN passed the conceal carry bill the signage was something adopted to win support for it passing. I am not sure how true that is though.

Regarding the "mom's" group i am just taking a wild guess. To ME it would make since they would want some force of law behind the signs since they have been working so hard to get people to put them up. Or this could be an example of someone looking at boarding states laws and thinking this is a good idea.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Virginia is a Common Law state and a proponent of the Dillon Rule - the General Assembly restricts for itself any & all laws defining how or where one may carry firearms. They have been loathe to infringe or direct how private property owners conduct their business, which includes the carry of guns by others on their property.

There have been a few, small exceptions. In the past you could not CC in a restaurant that sold alcohol - the change corrected that if the actor doesn't consume. The DG&IF rules regarding handguns has made steady improvement.

Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America (the mad moms) have been notable in their lies: Sears doesn't allow guns, Starbuck's is gun free, the book store in NoVa that they claimed was being posted. Their credibility is a match for their membership level = near zero. I just don't see the GA paying much attention to them.

Do I think we should ignore them? Not a bit - but we will continue to use facts and logic to trump their hysteria...and we are winning.

Of greater concern is what the executive level (governor) and AG may try to accomplish within state agencies - that will demand a better part of our attention.