Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confusing sign, advice?

Confusing sign, advice?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140106_165030_140.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	11098

Can I open carry in a business with this posted on the door?

It clearly says no "concealed" carry. But this is why I'm asking.

Technically, yes.

But only long enough for someone to notice you and tell you to get out.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

^Agreed, but I'd definitely open carry in there if only once.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Technically, yes.

But only long enough for someone to notice you and tell you to get out.

stay safe.
    And even though your pocket knife by name implies that you are carrying a knife in your pocket, don't enter carrying your pocket knife in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    And even though your pocket knife by name implies that you are carrying a knife in your pocket, don't enter carrying your pocket knife in your pocket.
    And yet, because the knives I carry are tools, not weapons, I'd not hesitate to enter with them in my pockets.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

I agree with everyone else. I personally, would open carry once. They will most likely say something, and the next time you went back it would probably say that NO weapons are allowed. But, I haven't OC'ed yet, so I can't speak from experience.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I don't think I could help but to flag down a manager and say, "I saw your stupid freaking sign, so I made sure I didn't conceal my .45, okay?!"

I mean, I would open carry there until asked to leave.

------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Banned
    The fact that the sign limits the ban to concealed weapons should protect you legally. Clearly, however, the proprietor does not want guns in his place, so just don't go in.

Yeah, you score a "win" if you go in, but you have validated this guy's errant belief that folks with guns are ***holes.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95
    Yeah, you score a "win" if you go in, but you have validated this guy's errant belief that folks with guns are ***holes.
    How do we change his belief?

I submit that we could talk to him and ask about his sign and his reasons for posting it. We could also offer him numerous fact-based reasons why he should allow carry in his store.

Then, when he refuses to change his sign, we schedule 30 to 40 open carriers to walk into his store, holding large sums of money in their hands and asking to spend it there, only to change their minds at the last moment, after they have realized the owner does not want us carrying in his store.

Or, we could just not patronize his store, but where is the fun in that?

What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

C'mon guys the way to do this is to have an open carry meet and greet, where five guys and five hot women (displaying lots of midriff) go in open carrying.

I mean is the owner gonna lose the revenue from ten people just to be a dick?

(I'm kidding...I think)

Hell, I'll wind up spending my money on the 5 hot women!

(SMACK!) Sorry, dear.

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    (SMACK!) Sorry, dear.
    So, I think YourWifeSaidNo...
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    The fact that the sign limits the ban to concealed weapons should protect you legally. Clearly, however, the proprietor does not want guns in his place, so just don't go in.

Assumption on your part.... Specifically the sign says "concealed" The Owner may full accept and allow OPEN CARRY. The sign does NOT tell you either way!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Not taking sides, but if you magnify the picture you will notice that the red circle has a red dissector. The dissector is behind the gun, not covering the gun. Indicating that the gun is out in the open, not hidden. Hence, “No concealed weapons.....”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    How do we change his belief?

I submit that we could talk to him and ask about his sign and his reasons for posting it. We could also offer him numerous fact-based reasons why he should allow carry in his store.

Then, when he refuses to change his sign, we schedule 30 to 40 open carriers to walk into his store, holding large sums of money in their hands and asking to spend it there, only to change their minds at the last moment, after they have realized the owner does not want us carrying in his store.

Or, we could just not patronize his store, but where is the fun in that?

Sometimes changing one person's beliefs is not an option at that moment. If you damn the sign and go in anyway, knowing that you can get away with it, any chance of change is gone. Don't worry about changing this guy. Operate in a way that will present opportunities to change folks ready for change.

It's like door-to-door proselytizers. Yeah, after they knock on hundreds of doors, they find someone ready to listen, but how many folks did they turn off before they found one to turn on??

Be a good example of lawful carry, and folks will approach you. Change them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Assumption on your part.... Specifically the sign says "concealed" The Owner may full accept and allow OPEN CARRY. The sign does NOT tell you either way!
    It is a reasonable assumption. Most folks don't even know that OC is legal. The guy likely thinks that he only has to bar CC to bar all carry. So, while there is a chance in a thousand that you are right, I won't bother to entertain it.

Moving on.

So, where is the store with the "No Concealed Carry" sign located?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbossman90 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140106_165030_140.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	11098

Can I open carry in a business with this posted on the door?

It clearly says no "concealed" carry. But this is why I'm asking.
    Your question is vague. Why? Well in some states 'signage' (without legal cites?) does not have the force of law. So you might be able to carry in there anyway.

If it's in Virginia where it's legal to open carry into a bar (but not drink), and illegal to CC, then yes, you could. However, being a private business, the owner may have the right to turn you away because you're wearing a pink t-shirt (or anything else he chooses to not like).

Maybe if you told us:
    1. What type of business;
    2. Where the sign was (state, city?)
    (*)3. Does the owner have a metal detector?

...we could be of more assistance in answering your question.

(*) just kidding.
    HTH.

open Carry in... if asked to leave, tell them they need a sign that explains things more clearly.... have this one already printed out and hand it to them...

Wowwie!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    open Carry in... if asked to leave, tell them they need a sign that explains things more clearly.... have this one already printed out and hand it to them...

NEVER suggest a sign!!! NEVER!!!

NEVER ask for a sign!!! NEVER!!!!!

AND,,,, DONT give them a sign to post!!!! NEVER!!!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Banned
    Horrible advice on two counts.

1. The proprietor clearly does not want carry. He likely mistakenly believes that only CC is legal and only CC needs to be prohibited.

2. See the post immediately above mine.

That's actually pretty funny, and I've shown that to a few friends on occasion (when discussing signs and CRIMINALS' indifference to the law).

On a more serious note, I hope you posted that sign only in fun, and are not intent on presenting a sign to a possible on-the-fence or consummate anti.

@ Maverick9, MyWifeSaidYes, and JustaShooter: that is too funny. Thanks for the laugh.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 01-12-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that this sign is being offered to replace a existing sign.

Yes, given that the sign is offered as a rather snarky "you dumbass" replacement for an existing sign, I think the specific kind of outrage at the suggestion we are seeing here is (in this case) unjustified.

I *do* understand you don't want to suggest a sign where there isn't already one there--the "FGS don't do that!" would be justified in those circumstances.

That having been said, whether you want to open carry into a place that almost certainly doesn't welcome it, just to point out that the management is full of dumbass, is another question entirely.

Yeah, the "All patrons have been disarmed for your convenience" went over some folks heads.

It is NEVER a good idea to suggest a sign where none exists, obviously.

But to suggest a sign such as the one offered doesn't actually hurt anything IMHO, IF THERE IS ALREADY A SIGN.
    Last edited by MyWifeSaidYes; 01-12-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Recoil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast