• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confusing sign, advice?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Technically, yes.

But only long enough for someone to notice you and tell you to get out.

stay safe.

JustaShooter

And even though your pocket knife by name implies that you are carrying a knife in your pocket, don't enter carrying your pocket knife in your pocket.

And yet, because the knives I carry are tools, not weapons, I'd not hesitate to enter with them in my pockets.

dominic22

I agree with everyone else. I personally, would open carry once. They will most likely say something, and the next time you went back it would probably say that NO weapons are allowed. But, I haven't OC'ed yet, so I can't speak from experience.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

MyWifeSaidYes

I don't think I could help but to flag down a manager and say, "I saw your stupid freaking sign, so I made sure I didn't conceal my .45, okay?!"

:cuss:

:mad:

:cry:

I mean, I would open carry there until asked to leave.

:banghead:

eye95

The fact that the sign limits the ban to concealed weapons should protect you legally. Clearly, however, the proprietor does not want guns in his place, so just don't go in.

Yeah, you score a "win" if you go in, but you have validated this guy's errant belief that folks with guns are ***holes.

MyWifeSaidYes

eye95 said:
Yeah, you score a "win" if you go in, but you have validated this guy's errant belief that folks with guns are ***holes.

How do we change his belief?

I submit that we could talk to him and ask about his sign and his reasons for posting it. We could also offer him numerous fact-based reasons why he should allow carry in his store.

Then, when he refuses to change his sign, we schedule 30 to 40 open carriers to walk into his store, holding large sums of money in their hands and asking to spend it there, only to change their minds at the last moment, after they have realized the owner does not want us carrying in his store.

Or, we could just not patronize his store, but where is the fun in that?

:banana:

Maverick9

C'mon guys the way to do this is to have an open carry meet and greet, where five guys and five hot women (displaying lots of midriff) go in open carrying.

I mean is the owner gonna lose the revenue from ten people just to be a dick?

(I'm kidding...I think) :p

JoeSparky

Centurion
The fact that the sign limits the ban to concealed weapons should protect you legally. Clearly, however, the proprietor does not want guns in his place, so just don't go in.

Assumption on your part.... Specifically the sign says "concealed" The Owner may full accept and allow OPEN CARRY. The sign does NOT tell you either way!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Not taking sides, but if you magnify the picture you will notice that the red circle has a red dissector. The dissector is behind the gun, not covering the gun. Indicating that the gun is out in the open, not hidden. Hence, “No concealed weapons.....”

eye95

How do we change his belief?

I submit that we could talk to him and ask about his sign and his reasons for posting it. We could also offer him numerous fact-based reasons why he should allow carry in his store.

Then, when he refuses to change his sign, we schedule 30 to 40 open carriers to walk into his store, holding large sums of money in their hands and asking to spend it there, only to change their minds at the last moment, after they have realized the owner does not want us carrying in his store.

Or, we could just not patronize his store, but where is the fun in that?

:banana:

Sometimes changing one person's beliefs is not an option at that moment. If you damn the sign and go in anyway, knowing that you can get away with it, any chance of change is gone. Don't worry about changing this guy. Operate in a way that will present opportunities to change folks ready for change.

It's like door-to-door proselytizers. Yeah, after they knock on hundreds of doors, they find someone ready to listen, but how many folks did they turn off before they found one to turn on??

Be a good example of lawful carry, and folks will approach you. Change them.

eye95

Assumption on your part.... Specifically the sign says "concealed" The Owner may full accept and allow OPEN CARRY. The sign does NOT tell you either way!

It is a reasonable assumption. Most folks don't even know that OC is legal. The guy likely thinks that he only has to bar CC to bar all carry. So, while there is a chance in a thousand that you are right, I won't bother to entertain it.

Moving on.

Maverick9

View attachment 11098

Can I open carry in a business with this posted on the door?

It clearly says no "concealed" carry. But this is why I'm asking.

Your question is vague. Why? Well in some states 'signage' (without legal cites?) does not have the force of law. So you might be able to carry in there anyway.

If it's in Virginia where it's legal to open carry into a bar (but not drink), and illegal to CC, then yes, you could. However, being a private business, the owner may have the right to turn you away because you're wearing a pink t-shirt (or anything else he chooses to not like).

Maybe if you told us:
1. What type of business;
2. Where the sign was (state, city?)
(*)3. Does the owner have a metal detector?

...we could be of more assistance in answering your question.

(*) just kidding.
HTH.

cjohnson44546

open Carry in... if asked to leave, tell them they need a sign that explains things more clearly.... have this one already printed out and hand it to them...

No-Guns-allowed-sign.png