• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confusing sign, advice?

eye95

open Carry in... if asked to leave, tell them they need a sign that explains things more clearly.... have this one already printed out and hand it to them...

Horrible advice on two counts.

1. The proprietor clearly does not want carry. He likely mistakenly believes that only CC is legal and only CC needs to be prohibited.

2. See the post immediately above mine.

Rusty Young Man

open Carry in... if asked to leave, tell them they need a sign that explains things more clearly.... have this one already printed out and hand it to them...

No-Guns-allowed-sign.png

That's actually pretty funny, and I've shown that to a few friends on occasion (when discussing signs and CRIMINALS' indifference to the law).

On a more serious note, I hope you posted that sign only in fun, and are not intent on presenting a sign to a possible on-the-fence or consummate anti.

@ Maverick9, MyWifeSaidYes, and JustaShooter: that is too funny. Thanks for the laugh.:D

Last edited:

SteveInCO

Yes, given that the sign is offered as a rather snarky "you dumbass" replacement for an existing sign, I think the specific kind of outrage at the suggestion we are seeing here is (in this case) unjustified.

I *do* understand you don't want to suggest a sign where there isn't already one there--the "FGS don't do that!" would be justified in those circumstances.

That having been said, whether you want to open carry into a place that almost certainly doesn't welcome it, just to point out that the management is full of dumbass, is another question entirely.

MyWifeSaidYes

Yeah, the "All patrons have been disarmed for your convenience" went over some folks heads.

It is NEVER a good idea to suggest a sign where none exists, obviously.

But to suggest a sign such as the one offered doesn't actually hurt anything IMHO, IF THERE IS ALREADY A SIGN.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
One could talk to the owner and inform him that not allowing guns in and not having adequate security puts him in legal liability for any injury to a person in his store.

Ask him if he has insurance for this..

Make it about $$$$

MyWifeSaidYes

One could talk to the owner and inform him that not allowing guns in and not having adequate security puts him in legal liability for any injury to a person in his store...

Regarding a concealed handgun licensee in Ohio, you can't make it about the business' decision about allowing or restricting carry. There is a clause in the concealed carry law that gives them immunity from civil action:

A private employer shall be immune from liability in a civil action for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that allegedly was caused by or related to a licensee bringing a handgun onto the premises or property of the private employer, including motor vehicles owned by the private employer, unless the private employer acted with malicious purpose. A private employer is immune from liability in a civil action for any injury, death, or loss to person or property that allegedly was caused by or related to the private employer's decision to permit a licensee to bring, or prohibit a licensee from bringing, a handgun onto the premises or property of the private employer. As used in this division, "private employer" includes a private college, university, or other institution of higher education.

You'll notice that the above clause ONLY applies to a CHL holder, not an open carrier.

:D

davidmcbeth

Banned
Regarding a concealed handgun licensee in Ohio, you can't make it about the business' decision about allowing or restricting carry. There is a clause in the concealed carry law that gives them immunity from civil action:

You'll notice that the above clause ONLY applies to a CHL holder, not an open carrier.

:D

THEY don't know that..also, it says private employer, not employee who makes the decision ... wonder how this would play out in court

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

If it's in Virginia where it's legal to open carry into a bar (but not drink), and illegal to CC, then yes, you could. However, being a private business, the owner may have the right to turn you away because you're wearing a pink t-shirt (or anything else he chooses to not like).
Virginia has no "bars." License to sell alcohol is tied to food sales = restaurants.

You have the mode of carry and legality to indulge totally misrepresented.

In Va. one may OC and enjoy an adult beverage.

CC is legal where alcohol is sold, but consumption becomes illegal except for a few more equal groups.

http://my.opencarry.org/?page_id=150

Hareuhal

Your question is vague. Why? Well in some states 'signage' (without legal cites?) does not have the force of law. So you might be able to carry in there anyway.

If it's in Virginia where it's legal to open carry into a bar (but not drink), and illegal to CC, then yes, you could. However, being a private business, the owner may have the right to turn you away because you're wearing a pink t-shirt (or anything else he chooses to not like).

Maybe if you told us:
1. What type of business;
2. Where the sign was (state, city?)
(*)3. Does the owner have a metal detector?

...we could be of more assistance in answering your question.

(*) just kidding.
HTH.

He posted in the Ohio subforum. One can make the reasonable assumption that it is in Ohio

In the case of being in Ohio, it doesn't matter what city because they're all governed by ORC 9.68

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Ragedefined

I'm from the Husker nation. I have read in the past (in atleast omaha) that you cannot open carry in places that restrict conceal carry. The same rules apply to open as they do conceal. Here If I walked in with an open carry they could charge me with a misdemeanor.
Id have to look up where I found that if someone's wondering. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eye95

I'm from the Husker nation. I have read in the past (in atleast omaha) that you cannot open carry in places that restrict conceal carry. The same rules apply to open as they do conceal. Here If I walked in with an open carry they could charge me with a misdemeanor.
Id have to look up where I found that if someone's wondering. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is logical that a property owner who is prohibiting concealed carry is really intending to prohibit all carry. However, in Ohio, I know of no law that would require an OCer to assume that he cannot carry past a sign prohibiting only CC. I recommend making that assumption--unless one has good reason to assume otherwise.

Welcome to OCDO.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In spite of state preemption, Omaha has a special ordinance.

Handgun registration with the police department is required if you do not have a CCW permit. Handgun registration is simply to let OPD know there's a handgun in the city and is separate from the "open carry permit" that Omaha requires if you want to open carry and do not have a CCW permit. (http://www.safenebraska.org/safe-working/concealed-carry-handgun-training.php)

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php?topic=10135.0

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?85312-How-to-Open-Carry-in-Omaha

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
In spite of state preemption, Omaha has a special ordinance.

Handgun registration with the police department is required if you do not have a CCW permit. Handgun registration is simply to let OPD know there's a handgun in the city and is separate from the "open carry permit" that Omaha requires if you want to open carry and do not have a CCW permit. (http://www.safenebraska.org/safe-working/concealed-carry-handgun-training.php)

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php?topic=10135.0

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?85312-How-to-Open-Carry-in-Omaha
Thanks for posting this info. I'm sure this will discourage any gun loving Ohioan not to move to Nebraska.