Thread: A P4P hunting bill

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

A P4P hunting bill

14101901D
    SENATE BILL NO. 368Offered January 8, 2014Prefiled January 7, 2014A BILL to amend and reenact 15.2-915.2 of the Code of Virginia, relating to transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.----------Patron-- Garrett----------Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice----------Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
    1. That 15.2-915.2 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
    15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.
    The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.
    The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business. The provisions of this section shall also not apply to lawful concealed carry permit holders.

Interesting....92 views and no comments.

Just this morning I was thinking about this bill while at Bass Pro. They had something I had priced on Amazon. Amazon was about $30.00 cheaper. I was trying to figure out what I was paying that didn't do anything for me, that I could cut out. That way I could get it right then.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    We need no such statute.

Simply make it illegal to hunt from a vehicle.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    We need no such statute.

Simply make it illegal to hunt from a vehicle.
    Maybe just make legal carry of long guns for self defense. uhoh
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Interesting....92 views and no comments.

Just this morning I was thinking about this bill while at Bass Pro. They had something I had priced on Amazon. Amazon was about $30.00 cheaper. I was trying to figure out what I was paying that didn't do anything for me, that I could cut out. That way I could get it right then.
    I know the feeling, I needed a similar amount of money cut from my budget to enable me to be able to buy Logan the train set he wanted for
    (this is just some space between the lines, there's nothing to read here, I've no idea why you're looking)
    Christmas so I prioritized and put my kid first.
    Last edited by scouser; 01-11-2014 at 05:02 PM.

I honestly don't see any way to change the wording on this bill to make it acceptable.

This is a stupid bill.

Assuming this is supposed to "fix" the DGIF outlawing long guns in cars during hunting seasons. Why not just do THAT and not THIS?

I see a lot of P4P in the upcoming session. Bad mojo.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Assuming this is supposed to "fix" the DGIF outlawing long guns in cars during hunting seasons. Why not just do THAT and not THIS?

I see a lot of P4P in the upcoming session. Bad mojo.
    It's not DGIF. This is an old hunting statute that allows localities to outlaw it. When preemption passed it became a way for the locals to bypass it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    That ^ ^ ^ and preemption does not apply to state agencies.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I guess I'll have to settle for carrying a little handgun....