• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A P4P hunting bill

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
14101901D
SENATE BILL NO. 368Offered January 8, 2014Prefiled January 7, 2014A BILL to amend and reenact § 15.2-915.2 of the Code of Virginia, relating to transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.----------Patron-- Garrett----------Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice----------Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
1. That § 15.2-915.2 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.
The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.
The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business. The provisions of this section shall also not apply to lawful concealed carry permit holders.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Interesting....92 views and no comments.

Just this morning I was thinking about this bill while at Bass Pro. They had something I had priced on Amazon. Amazon was about $30.00 cheaper. I was trying to figure out what I was paying that didn't do anything for me, that I could cut out. :( That way I could get it right then.

scouser

Interesting....92 views and no comments.

Just this morning I was thinking about this bill while at Bass Pro. They had something I had priced on Amazon. Amazon was about $30.00 cheaper. I was trying to figure out what I was paying that didn't do anything for me, that I could cut out. :( That way I could get it right then.

I know the feeling, I needed a similar amount of money cut from my budget to enable me to be able to buy Logan the train set he wanted for
(this is just some space between the lines, there's nothing to read here, I've no idea why you're looking)
Christmas so I prioritized and put my kid first.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I honestly don't see any way to change the wording on this bill to make it acceptable.

paramedic70002

Assuming this is supposed to "fix" the DGIF outlawing long guns in cars during hunting seasons. Why not just do THAT and not THIS?

I see a lot of P4P in the upcoming session. Bad mojo.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Assuming this is supposed to "fix" the DGIF outlawing long guns in cars during hunting seasons. Why not just do THAT and not THIS?

I see a lot of P4P in the upcoming session. Bad mojo.

It's not DGIF. This is an old hunting statute that allows localities to outlaw it. When preemption passed it became a way for the locals to bypass it.