• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Trip to DC from Virginia. Question on legal 'stowing' of firearm.

Maverick9

Hi guys, I'm not sure where to look this up, but if I am from Virginia and I travel to DC to a concert, what is necessary for me to bring my firearm legally? It will be locked up, ammo separate, of course in some kind of approved car safe or gun safe.

I realize I can't carry on me.

Would I be compelled in the case of minor stop to 1) answer questions, and/or 2) disclose that the locked safe in the car contains something? Would the cops try to get a warrant to drill open my car safe?

TIA

blahpony

You will not be legal. You can only have a firearm if you are passing through DC. Going to a concert in DC is not passing through.

Maverick9

The law seems confusing:
DC ST § 22
-
District of Columbia Official
Code 2001 Edition
Division IV. Criminal Law and Procedure and Prisoners.
Title 22. Criminal Offenses and Penalties. (Refs & Annos)
Subtitle VI. Regulation and Possession of Weapons.
Chapter 45. Weapons and Possession of Weapons. (Refs & Annos)
§ 22
-
4.02. Lawful transportation of firearms.
(a)
Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by the law from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm
shall be permitted to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully
possess and carry the firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm
if the firearm is transported in accordance with this section.
(b)(1)
If the transportation of the firearm is by a vehicle, the firearm shall be unloaded, and neither the firearm
nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger
compartment of the transporting vehicle.
(2)
If the transporting vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm
or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console, and the
firearm shall be unloaded.
(c)
If the transportation of the firearm is in a manner other than in a vehicle, the firearm shall be:
(1)
Unloaded;
(2)
Inside a locked container; and
(3)
Separate from any ammunition.

Sounds good, but then handgunlaw.us says:

Note:
This is for transporting firearms through DC but if you are traveling and going through DC
it is actually out of your way in most instances. I would not travel inside the Beltway around DC.
The beltway is outside DC and is actually in the surrounding states but is a good boundary marker
to keep from going into the District. If you stop in DC for any reason while transporting firearms
you are no longer covered by Federal Law (Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44§ 926A)
but fall under DC law and can be arrested and your firearms Confiscated.

One could make a case that if you are transporting the firearm from a place where you are legally
permitted to carry, to another place (you hotel, which is, during your stay, arguably, your legal domicile)

Now if we were talking NEW YORK City, I wouldn't even ask. But I'm thinking you would be technically legal as long as you followed DC statute and kept the firearm cased.

Maybe there's some kind of 'antique guns' or 'vendors' license' thing you could get. Are there gun shows in DC?

Last edited:

blahpony

DC has very bad gun laws. There is a man on trial facing two years because he had a spent round with him. The only way you can have a gun in DC is if you are a resident and have a registered gun.

I have to go through this crap every Sunday for dinner at Mom's. I disarm in VA and drive to DC to her house.

Maverick9

DC has very bad gun laws. There is a man on trial facing two years because he had a spent round with him. The only way you can have a gun in DC is if you are a resident and have a registered gun.

I have to go through this crap every Sunday for dinner at Mom's. I disarm in VA and drive to DC to her house.

Yeah, I heard about the spent round thing. A new law, designed to do what, I don't know. I've followed the 'Emily gets her gun' series so I know it's a mess.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The law seems confusing:

Sounds good, but then handgunlaw.us says:

One could make a case that if you are transporting the firearm from a place where you are legally
permitted to carry, to another place (you hotel, which is, during your stay, arguably, your legal domicile)

Now if we were talking NEW YORK City, I wouldn't even ask. But I'm thinking you would be technically legal as long as you followed DC statute and kept the firearm cased.

Maybe there's some kind of 'antique guns' or 'vendors' license' thing you could get. Are there gun shows in DC?

If your hotel is in DC -

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! WRONG!!!!

And no, there is nothing such as a "vendor's" or "antique gun" license. Nor are there gun shows in DC.

Please google Emily Miller and her ongoing expereinces in getting a gun in DC and now renewing her possession license. IT was not pretty and got even more ugly.

To put it in the simplist words, in order to have a gun in DC (one that is not transiting through DC at the posted speed limit) you need a license from DC. Except that if you do not live in DC you cannot get a license, which by the way is only good for having a gun in your house. There is no way to legally carry a gun in DC in a manner that it could be used for personal self defense.

stay safe.

Turbohugh

DC is not gun friendly.

To own one you have to live in DC , register it and pick one from a very restrictive list [No ar-15's for example, no pistol grip shotguns, no tactical stocks, etc etc..]
If you buy it new it has to be sent to the only FFL [Mr Sikes, who is a nice guy] in DC.
You have to pick it up etc at the main police hq. You will be photographed, fingerprinted, and subjected to a 10 day FBI background check.
1- Firearm per month.
Registration must be renewed every 4 years.
You may only transport the firearm [once you pick it up] directly home, or from your home to 'approved' activities, [basically -- out of DC] and then back home.

As a non-dc Resident, possession of a firearm in DC would be technically illegal unless you are a LEO or some other exempted entity.

Once you are a registered owner of a firearm, you can possess any ammo [the law was recently changed, as it used to be 'only for your registered firearm']. The 'spent casing' guy had an issue I believe with domestic violence or a protective order, either will restrict your ability to own firearms for up to 5 years.

I am a newly registered DC gun owner, the steps I had to take only took about 2 weeks, and this was over the christmas/newyears holiday break, while they were relocating the Firearms registration office from the first floor to the 'third' floor [I think]. So I am not familiar with the difficulties the famous reporter for the Washington Times had, however I think she may have tried to register before they had fully implemented the law, or possibly exaggerating her issues [although since I have never tried to register a firearm outside of DC, I'm not aware of how much easier [relatively speaking] it may be in other jurisdictions.

YMMV

Last edited: