• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ashland OC Ban

SemperFidelis

http://www.kobi5.com/news/item/onli...tricter-gun-laws-in-ashland.html#.UtGAU_sS6s0

https://www.change.org/petitions/th...pt-moderate-practical-gun-safety-ordinances-2

Having OC'd in Ashland for from 2008 - 2011 on my bicycle commutes to/from work, this hits home. Does anyone know when/where to get details on the "council study session" in Ashland and if something like that is open to the public?

In the meantime, consider shooting (ha, punny) a letter to these folks:

John Stromberg, Mayor
john@council.ashland.or.us

Mike Morris, City Councilor
mike@council.ashland.or.us

Rich Rosenthal, City Councilor
rich@council.ashland.or.us

Dennis Slattery, City Councilor
dennis@council.ashland.or.us

Greg Lemhouse, City Councilor
greg@council.ashland.or.us

Carol Voisin, City Councilor
carol@council.ashland.or.us

Pam Marsh, City Councilor
pam@council.ashland.or.us

pam@council.ashland.or.us; carol@council.ashland.or.us; greg@council.ashland.or.us; dennis@council.ashland.or.us; rich@council.ashland.or.us; mike@council.ashland.or.us; john@council.ashland.or.us

We-the-People

I am working on a "speech" to present to the Council at their meeting next Tuesday. The ban isn't supposed to be on the agenda yet so I am planning to address them during the time for citizens to address the Council on non agenda items. I plan to open with "ain't no problem so we don't need a solution", then go over their limitations per state preemption as well as per the US Constitution. The plan is to close with the admonition about unintended consequences. Passing a "loaded ban" ordinance will make Ashland the destination of choice for every open carry activist in Southern Oregon from Klamath Falls to the Coast and Roseburg to the border (perhaps even past the border). End result: they will have more, not fewer, guns on their streets if they "ban" them. Particularly on weekends when their precious tourist dollars are in town.

Yes, I WILL be open carry with my "assault pistol" when I address them.

Jeff. State

Banned
The "change.org" petition has 215 signatures send this link far and wide to get the pro-2nd responses 10 times the number of the antis.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/portland-slime

http://www.ashland.or.us/CouncilContact.asp

We the people, I hope to join you on Tuesday. It's been a year since the Salem rally. I think Warren needs to speak there as well regarding the absolute professionalism and respect for PEOPLES RIGHTS the Ashland PD has.

We-the-People

The "change.org" petition has 215 signatures send this link far and wide to get the pro-2nd responses 10 times the number of the antis.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/portland-slime

http://www.ashland.or.us/CouncilContact.asp

We the people, I hope to join you on Tuesday. It's been a year since the Salem rally. I think Warren needs to speak there as well regarding the absolute professionalism and respect for PEOPLES RIGHTS the Ashland PD has.

From the small portion of signatures I could read on the change dot org site, the majority were NOT from Ashland. I couldn't see all of them however.

I will be at the Salem rally on Sunday. I'll be "well" armed, probably three weapons this time as I recently acquired a very nifty setup for concealed carry and want to give it a workout when I don't need it. I'll be posting pics on my FB at some point.

We-the-People

"Speech" given. I believe it was well received by the council and do not believe that any proposed gun ban ordinance has much chance of passing. I know at least one councilor thinks like me and I have indications that several others are of the "ain't broke don't fix it" and/or freedom and liberty minds.

Afterwards, the Mayor thanked me for speaking and said I did well and thanked me for the points I brought up as they would give the council members some good points to consider. He pointed out how the council had bent over backwards with the Ashland gun club and while he didn't commit, I think he's a fairly safe vote against any ban ordinance as well.

After I spoke, and older gentleman rose to speak and gave a very good five minute talk about liberty, freedom, and how he carries for his protection and they aren't going to take it away.

I have video and will be processing it later today.

Jeff. State

Banned
Great job We-the-People! Sorry, couldn't make it, was a little late for the family.

Glad to hear that it seems this may be DOA.

Did anyone there talk to you after, whether pro or con?

We-the-People

Great job We-the-People! Sorry, couldn't make it, was a little late for the family.

Glad to hear that it seems this may be DOA.

Did anyone there talk to you after, whether pro or con?

No problem on not making it. My GF was "dead" by the time we got home and got her to bed (I was far too wired to lay down).

I did talk with several people after the meeting adjourned. No one said anything SPECIFIC but having held a position behind the big desk I understand that they CANT to that. That said, I have the distinct feeling that the ordinance will not be well received. That doesn't mean we can drop our guard but that we're not facing what most may have been imagining (including myself).

It's not DOA as at least one Councilor is behind the ordinance.....something COULD end up being passed to appease the anti's.....politicians like to compromise to not totally piss off any one group.......... But it's not looking good for the anti's.

We-the-People

CeaseFire and other anti-gun groups are apparently trying to drum up a large force to attend the Councils "study session" meeting on the 3rd of February.

My understanding is that there is no public participation in a "study session" but I'm also not naive enough to believe that they won't try to pull "something". There is no agenda published at this time but I'm pretty certain that they will be discussing the proposed ordinances out of the anti camp.

I have a class that I must attend (only meets once per week) at SOU so I will not be able to attend. We need to have the gun rights side represented in the audience at this meeting so I am calling on all who can attend to do so.

Open Carry IS legal so long as you have a CHL. It is conducted in a "public building" and the room also serves as the MUNICIPAL courtroom. ORS 166.360 does not include municipal courts in it's definition of "court facility" and I have personally open carried in Council chambers with no issues. The chief of police was present and didn't even bat an eye so I would consider it to be "safe". I put quotes because while you may not need to worry about the police department of Ashland, there is no telling what kind of nuts CeaseFire and their ilk might dredge up for attendance.

Please, if you can attend, do so. If you're an Ashland resident that's even better but it is not required.

Jeff. State

Banned
I saw on KDRV this AM, Ashland is having the issue at their meeting tonight at 5:30. If anyone has the ability, be there and let your voice be heard.

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
http://www.ashland.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=16051

CITY COUNCIL STUDY SESSION
A G E N D A
Monday, February 3, 2014
Council Chambers, 1175 East Main Street

5:30 p.m. Study Session

1. Look Ahead review

2. Discussion of granting a conservation easement on Imperatrice Property (Request of Councilor Lemhouse)

3. Discussion of an ordinance prohibiting the unlawful carrying of loaded firearms in public places and an ordinance to prohibit endangering a child by allowing access to a firearm (Request of Councilor Voisin)

We-the-People

http://www.ashland.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=16051

CITY COUNCIL STUDY SESSION
A G E N D A
Monday, February 3, 2014
Council Chambers, 1175 East Main Street

5:30 p.m. Study Session

1. Look Ahead review

2. Discussion of granting a conservation easement on Imperatrice Property (Request of Councilor Lemhouse)

3. Discussion of an ordinance prohibiting the unlawful carrying of loaded firearms in public places and an ordinance to prohibit endangering a child by allowing access to a firearm (Request of Councilor Voisin)

I will be unable to attend this tonight due to a class that meets during this event. I will be checking the RVTV video as soon as it is up but that may not be in time to address the council on Tuesday evening (I'm hoping it is).

PLEASE....anyone that can attend.....DO SO. If you have a CHL, it is lawful to open carry to this event.

Jeff. State

Banned
Do any of the council members or the mayor take some kind of oath of office that includes The Constitution?

Last edited:

We-the-People

Do any of the council members or the mayor take some kind of oath of office that includes The Constitution?

All government employees take such an oath.

According to news reports, the Ashland Council decided to continue to explore the gun ban and storage ordinances. As they did not shut them down outright, I think Ashland needs to see an abundance of open carriers in their downtown tourist area.

I also heard that there was someone at the meeting with an AR and pistol. While that's their right, it's not politically savvy as it only whips up the opposition. Out on the streets would be far less antagonistic, though still ******* off the anti's.

I am still trying to access video of the meeting but as of 10am it does not appear to be available on the normal venue. I'll be checking YouTube next.

We need to put open carriers on the streets of Ashland, particularly on the weekends when they get their tourists coming to town, and particularly in areas where tourists congregate.

SteveM

Glad to see someone showed up and submitted a written statement opposing the ordinance.

However, the similar Beaverton ordinance was also opposed by a single citizen that had to stand alone when an ignorant career city council member started making claims that the National Guard was the militia being granted power by the second amendment. Not a single soul stood up on his hind legs and called out the council for acts of ignorance and prejudice so we got screwed.

I saw the video of We-the-People's comments from a previous meeting so there is hope if several citizens of Ashland join in.

Last edited:

LibertyAshland

Glad to see someone showed up and submitted a written statement opposing the ordinance.

However, the similar Beaverton ordinance was also opposed by a single citizen that had to stand alone when an ignorant career city council member started making claims that the National Guard was the militia being granted power by the second amendment. Not a single soul stood up on his hind legs and called out the council for acts of ignorance and prejudice so we got screwed.

I saw the video of We-the-People's comments from a previous meeting so there is hope if several citizens of Ashland join in.

There is indeed reason for hope.

I attended the Study Session last night (Monday) and the Council Chambers were packed (~60 pax). I was one of many that had to sit and watch the proceedings on TV in the lobby. A fair guesstimate would say those in in attendance for this issue (and that was the majority) were split fairly evenly between response-able rights advocates and self confessed social-engineers (with their young children in tow, cynically dragged along as props by parents pretending to be concerned with child welfare, when they should arguably have been at home getting ready for dinner and bedtime stories).

Chief of Police Holderness revealed that in the last 5 years there have been 11 convictions for crimes commited with a firearm within Ashland. Of those, 9 were crimes such as robbery where the weapons were brandished and only 2 involved a weapon that was actually discharged. He confirmed that "that was about right, 2 a year". The Chief of Police also stated that there was not in his opinion a problem, and that this was clearly an issue more of "community values" [rather than a public safety issue].

The City Attorney essentially councilled caution, stating this could get expensive and complicated.

Councillor Voison, who is the member that has picked this up and is representing the affiliation known as 'Citizens for a Safe Ashland' did a tremendous job channeling Nancy Pelosi. She talked of "enhancing public safety", "protecting our children", "doesn't take guns from law abiding citizens", a "ban on open carry is in the best interest" and so on. She revealed, emotionally, that 'they' had received a letter from some entity in Sand Hook, CT imploring them to proceed. She closed by asserting quite categorically that "we as a council have to make a decision" and that it must happen in a "timely manner".

Councillor Lemhouse (formerly Medford PD) recognized the divisive nature of this (he's a declared Independent) and questioned efficacy and demanded statistical proof that it could improve public safety.

Councillor Marsh pre-supposes it's a good idea and highlighted the fact that previous ordinances had passed that infringed The People's liberty so let's not be scared to pass another.

Councillor Morris wants data, and to know it will be "effective".

Councillor Slatterty wants "decent public policy that works".

Councillor Rosenthal suggested bringing the proposed ordinance to a regular meeting to allow deliberation, discussion and public input.

Which is what will now be scheduled to happen over the course of the next few weeks.

The council appears, like the citizens that attended, to be split 50/50. The Mayor recognized that this ordinance would really only be symbolic, and as he is the tie breaker - being advised by a cautious City Attorney and reluctant Chief of Police I would suggest again that there's every reason to be optimistic. That said, we haven't really started this yet so no time for complacency.

There was talk of putting the ordinance, or a general question of intent, to the ballot [fall 2014].

2014 also sees 3 of the 6 Council seats up for re-election. Loud and clear voices will be heard. Let them be ours!

"Liberty Ashland" is in formation now as a grass roots organization committed to the uncompromising defense of the inalienable rights of all, and to advocating for limited government in The City of Ashland, Ore. More information to follow.