• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S&W revolver frame confusion.

flhrci

When I look at S&W's revolvers and they mention what letter of the alphabet the frame is called, I do not see the difference. What am I missing?

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fuller Malarkey

Once familiar with them, you can determine the frame size at a glance and even a great distance. Some of this will be enhanced by a fixation / infatuation with the brand. It seems so cold and impersonal to refer to them as a "brand"...

[video=youtube;GwA2oKk1i-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwA2oKk1i-4[/video]

Sit back and watch, and kiss your grocery money and children's college fund goodby. The allure of the classic lines and performance is more insidious to the brain than crack cocaine. I prefer those manufactured over 20 years ago to the latest offerings.

flhrci

Thanks Fuller. Now I get it. Learnt some thin' today.

You are right about the magical S&W revolvers. I have always been drawn to them. I will have one again.

David

bunnspecial

Here are a couple of photos.

The first shows(L to R) the backstraps of J, K, and N frames. The second shows a K laying on top of an N, and the third shows the cylinder of a K next to that of an N. Both the K and N have square butt frames, and are fitted with standard "Magna" style grips. Larger profile grips-both factory and aftermarket-are available for both. L frames have the same size grip frame as well as grip to trigger distances as the K frame, although the rest of the frame is larger. As said, once you get use to looking at these, you can pick out the frame sizes from a mile away.

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

By the way, ignore differences such as the ejector rod shroud, as K and N frames are available both with and without these options depending on the specific model. Most(but not all) L frames and some N frames also have a full length underlug.

Brian D.

Thanks Fuller. Now I get it. Learnt some thin' today.

You are right about the magical S&W revolvers. I have always been drawn to them. I will have one again.

David

David, we would have also known the answer to this at OFCC's forums. ;)

By the way long ago there was an "I" frame as well. Five shot .38 S&W caliber (not .38 special) and .32 S&W Long were the main chamberings of the "I" frame.

And of course nowadays the .460 S&W magnum and .500 S&W revolvers are built on the "X" frame. No, I don't know what happened to frame sizes "O" through "W". :LOL:

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Smith also made break top DA revolvers, long discontinued though. I was eyeing one at a LGS in 32 S&W, sooner or later I will break down and buy it. The gun is still tight and a action like snot on ice, but the LGS wants $400 for it.