Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Your thoughts about me OC while working

  1. #1
    Regular Member MaxPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    64

    Your thoughts about me OC while working

    I'm looking for opinions from this community as I'm trying to decide whether open carrying while I'm working is a good idea or a bad idea. I do not yet have a CCW, so OC or unarmed are my only two legal choices.

    First off, I'm an independent contractor and have no "employer restrictions" on carrying while working, so there is no policy restriction on carrying a firearm while I work. What I do is inspect and photograph foreclosed homes for investors that buy them at auction.

    I get emailed a list of addresses to drive each day. My duties are to first determine whether the house is vacant or occupied, usually without disturbing the potential occupant. I do this by checking whether utilities are on or off and by talking to neighbors who may be outside when I arrive.

    If the house is occupied, I take a few photos of the exterior from the street and take some notes to file my report. If the property is vacant, I take more extensive photos of the entire property, back yard, and interior if possible. I have a set of keys that let me get inside about half of the vacant houses. The other half I take photos through windows that aren't covered with blinds, curtains, etc.

    I have yet to run into any situations where I needed to be armed, like squatters or someone cooking meth, but the potential is certainly there. Especially when I have to go to houses in less than desirable areas. I would definitely feel more comfortable armed in case I run into some gang bangers hanging out in one of these vacant houses.

    My concern is that people will see an armed man walking around the property and looking through windows of these vacant houses and there will be MWAG calls about me frequently. I'm also concerned that neighbors who are outside will freak out when I approach them to ask if they know any information about the property.

    Please share your thoughts.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Have you been OCing when "off the clock" or is the concept new to you?

    If you have been OCing with any amount of regularity, then likely you have determined it is a non-issue with most people. Don't see why this would change by being on the job.

    Did similar work years back as local management broker for the VA and never was the subject of a "suspicious person" call.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I get emailed a list of addresses to drive each day. My duties are to first determine whether the house is vacant or occupied, usually without disturbing the potential occupant. I do this by checking whether utilities are on or off and by talking to neighbors who may be outside when I arrive.


    Aren't you disturbing the neighbors then?

    I would think that the dangers of animals is greater than that of humans ... racoons, etc..

  4. #4
    Regular Member MaxPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I get emailed a list of addresses to drive each day. My duties are to first determine whether the house is vacant or occupied, usually without disturbing the potential occupant. I do this by checking whether utilities are on or off and by talking to neighbors who may be outside when I arrive.


    Aren't you disturbing the neighbors then?

    I would think that the dangers of animals is greater than that of humans ... racoons, etc..
    I don't go knocking on neighbors doors. It they are out in their yard, washing their car, etc. I'll ask them some questions about the house I'm there to check out.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pointy end and slightly to the left
    Posts
    1,539
    The most noticeable difference I experienced was if I dressed professional the vast majority assumed that I was official.
    If a neighbor notice an armed official looking person snooping around the house next door all should be good.
    It would appear you are not going incognito. An official looking shirt with the wording of property inspector or what ever title on it might help calm neighbors fear. I am comfortable open carrying everywhere I go. If I could at work I would. Time and experience will tell you if you need to make and adjustments to open carrying while on the job.

  6. #6
    Regular Member MaxPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Have you been OCing when "off the clock" or is the concept new to you?

    If you have been OCing with any amount of regularity, then likely you have determined it is a non-issue with most people. Don't see why this would change by being on the job.

    Did similar work years back as local management broker for the VA and never was the subject of a "suspicious person" call.
    I've been OCing for close to a year and am now much more comfortable than when I started. I suppose I still have to rid myself of some bits of my years of indoctrination.

  7. #7
    Regular Member MaxPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    The most noticeable difference I experienced was if I dressed professional the vast majority assumed that I was official.
    If a neighbor notice an armed official looking person snooping around the house next door all should be good.
    It would appear you are not going incognito. An official looking shirt with the wording of property inspector or what ever title on it might help calm neighbors fear. I am comfortable open carrying everywhere I go. If I could at work I would. Time and experience will tell you if you need to make and adjustments to open carrying while on the job.
    Good piece of advice, thank you.

    You are correct in that I am not going incognito. I generally wear a yellow safety vest since I'm standing in the middle of the street quite a bit. Under that is either a polo shirt and a decent pair of jeans, or if it's cold a sweatshirt with a decent pair of jeans. And almost always a wide brimmed hat (boonie hat style) to keep the sun off of me. I did notice that once I started wearing the safety vest, people started assuming I was supposed to be there.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    With your professional appearance, and with ACTING like you are supposed to be there doing your job, the "sheep" who might normally fear you now default to "oh, he's official." Go for it, and it will continue to help normalize OC in general.

    If I was a neighbor, I'd think you were nuts going to vacant houses without a gun.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    86
    OC doesn't bother me. Skulking or prowling around does.

    If I saw someone carrying a gun walking around a neighbor's property, I'd keep an eye on them while calling the neighbor to forewarn them (some of my neighbors own firearms).

    If they forced entry, I'd call the police.

    If I knew the house was foreclosed upon and uninhabited, and the (armed) person used a key to enter the property, I'd still keep an eye on the property with the phone handy. If they come out with anything other than what they went in with, I'd call the police as my assumption would be that they are stripping the house.

    mbogo

  10. #10
    Regular Member MaxPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogo470 View Post
    OC doesn't bother me. Skulking or prowling around does.

    If I saw someone carrying a gun walking around a neighbor's property, I'd keep an eye on them while calling the neighbor to forewarn them (some of my neighbors own firearms).

    If they forced entry, I'd call the police.

    If I knew the house was foreclosed upon and uninhabited, and the (armed) person used a key to enter the property, I'd still keep an eye on the property with the phone handy. If they come out with anything other than what they went in with, I'd call the police as my assumption would be that they are stripping the house.

    mbogo
    Would you react any differently if the person wasn't carrying a gun?

    If you were outside, and I (driving a Prius, wearing a yellow safety vest, and very obviously carrying a camera) approached you, saying "Excuse me sir, this house across the street is scheduled to go to the foreclosure auction tomorrow. Do you know if it's occupied or vacant?" What would your reaction be? Would your reaction be any different based on whether I'm carrying a gun or not?

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    Would you react any differently if the person wasn't carrying a gun?

    If you were outside, and I (driving a Prius, wearing a yellow safety vest, and very obviously carrying a camera) approached you, saying "Excuse me sir, this house across the street is scheduled to go to the foreclosure auction tomorrow. Do you know if it's occupied or vacant?" What would your reaction be? Would your reaction be any different based on whether I'm carrying a gun or not?
    The gun wouldn't bother me. The Prius would...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Davis County, Utah
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    The gun wouldn't bother me. The Prius would...
    Jeff Dunham would agree with you.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL4w...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by b0neZ; 01-13-2014 at 01:04 PM.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    The gun wouldn't bother me. The Prius would...
    Now that is downright funny.

    Max, there is a contractor over on the Washington State forum called Sudden Valley Gunner. He has been OCing at his site and the sites of others for many years and he may have some insight for you.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  14. #14
    Regular Member MaxPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    The gun wouldn't bother me. The Prius would...
    What if I paint flames on it?

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    What if I paint flames on it?
    Don't see that the rulz restrict flaming a Pruis if you are OCing while doing it. Think the gentleman below is left handed.





    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    Would you react any differently if the person wasn't carrying a gun?

    If you were outside, and I (driving a Prius, wearing a yellow safety vest, and very obviously carrying a camera) approached you, saying "Excuse me sir, this house across the street is scheduled to go to the foreclosure auction tomorrow. Do you know if it's occupied or vacant?" What would your reaction be? Would your reaction be any different based on whether I'm carrying a gun or not?
    It depends.

    If you were prowling or skulking (armed or unarmed) or walking around checking doors and windows, I would infer that you were a burglar and a threat. I might infer from the Prius that you were a liberal, a Kommiefornian, and an even bigger threat .

    You are a stranger, so I would not answer your questions regarding any of my neighbors or the houses in my neighborhood whether you were carrying or not.

    If I could discern that you were carrying, I'd have my hand on my gun and tell you not to approach me. Any question you had would be asked from the street.

    It isn't paranoia, it is prudence.

    mbogo
    Last edited by mbogo470; 01-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.

  17. #17
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogo470 View Post
    --snipped--

    If I could discern that you were carrying, I'd have my hand on my gun and tell you not to approach me. Any question you had would be asked from the street.
    Understand and agree with all except "my hand on my gun" - see serious problems with that.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Houma La
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogo470 View Post
    It depends.

    If you were prowling or skulking (armed or unarmed) or walking around checking doors and windows, I would infer that you were a burglar and a threat. I might infer from the Prius that you were a liberal, a Kommiefornian, and an even bigger threat .

    You are a stranger, so I would not answer your questions regarding any of my neighbors or the houses in my neighborhood whether you were carrying or not.

    If I could discern that you were carrying, I'd have my hand on my gun and tell you not to approach me. Any question you had would be asked from the street.

    It isn't paranoia, it is prudence.

    mbogo
    Then am I to assume then you greet all ocer's with a hand on your gun allowing he has down nothing wrong or illegal. I bet if a LEO responded that way Half the people on this forum would be going ballistic over it.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pointy end and slightly to the left
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    What if I paint flames on it?

    That would be like painting flames on a desert turtle. Still very efficient at what it does however the two speeds of slow and damn slow does not change.

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    That ^ ^ ^ is funny Mac and it does put everything in perspective = all things are relative.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  22. #22
    Regular Member MaxPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    That would be like painting flames on a desert turtle. Still very efficient at what it does however the two speeds of slow and damn slow does not change.
    I knew someday the Prius would be cause for me to defend my manhood, lol. If it helps with my redemption, my second vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler lifted 4 inches.

    The part I bolded is driver dependent, and since most Prius drivers seem to be out for a Sunday drive, I can understand your perception. On the other hand, I was born with an extra heavy right foot.

    With the electric motor giving me 295 ft. lbs. of torque, I can beat most sedans, trucks, and SUVs off the line. Sports cars and motorcycles not so much. I've also had it as fast as 104 (yes, MPH, not KmPH) with more left. In 2007 when I got mine, it also had the lowest drag coefficient of any production vehicle at the time. I don't know if this is still true of current models. The only place it really struggles is hills. Going over the "hump" to Pahrump, I can keep my foot on the floor and the fastest I can go is 60.

    Of course, none of the above is why I bought it. I drive 500+ miles per week and this car has cut my fuel costs by more than half.

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    --snipped--

    Of course, none of the above is why I bought it. I drive 500+ miles per week and this car has cut my fuel costs by more than half.
    AND cut your dependency on both foreign & domestic enemies petroleum producers.

    Glad that you have a thick skin and take our jests in good spirit.

    Problem of unintended consequences: As we reduce usage (cut income to producers), they raise the prices to cover fixed expenses (cost of producing) and return on investment. Over simplification: Use less = pay more.

    Some states (Virginia) charge a premium tax on hybrids. "The state is expected to collect $6.5 million from the tax this year."
    http://www.nbc12.com/story/24438180/...hybrid-car-tax

    P.S. Don't forget to sell it before it needs new batteries.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-14-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,153
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    I knew someday the Prius would be cause for me to defend my manhood, lol. If it helps with my redemption, my second vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler lifted 4 inches.[ ... ].
    That and a M1911 makes you da' man! Whoo weewee.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    86
    Maxpower,

    You're ignoring the basis for my suspicions.

    Taking photos of the front of the house wouldn't concern me unduly - real estate agents and appraisers are a common sight, as are landscapers, pool maintenance guys, HVAC, plumbers, electricians, et al.

    Rattling windows and door knobs, jumping walls and gates, or skulking/prowling would DEFINITELY put me on my guard, whether you were armed or not.

    Also, an armed stranger who is approaching/addressing me (as opposed to doing his job/minding his own business) would also put me on guard, especially one that exhibited the above behavior.

    How would you react if it happened on your street?

    mbogo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •