• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your thoughts about me OC while working

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That ^ ^ ^ is funny Mac and it does put everything in perspective = all things are relative.

MaxPower

That would be like painting flames on a desert turtle. Still very efficient at what it does however the two speeds of slow and damn slow does not change.

I knew someday the Prius would be cause for me to defend my manhood, lol. If it helps with my redemption, my second vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler lifted 4 inches.

The part I bolded is driver dependent, and since most Prius drivers seem to be out for a Sunday drive, I can understand your perception. On the other hand, I was born with an extra heavy right foot.

With the electric motor giving me 295 ft. lbs. of torque, I can beat most sedans, trucks, and SUVs off the line. Sports cars and motorcycles not so much. I've also had it as fast as 104 (yes, MPH, not KmPH) with more left. In 2007 when I got mine, it also had the lowest drag coefficient of any production vehicle at the time. I don't know if this is still true of current models. The only place it really struggles is hills. Going over the "hump" to Pahrump, I can keep my foot on the floor and the fastest I can go is 60.

Of course, none of the above is why I bought it. I drive 500+ miles per week and this car has cut my fuel costs by more than half.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

Of course, none of the above is why I bought it. I drive 500+ miles per week and this car has cut my fuel costs by more than half.
AND cut your dependency on both foreign & domestic [strike]enemies[/strike] petroleum producers.

Glad that you have a thick skin and take our jests in good spirit.

Problem of unintended consequences: As we reduce usage (cut income to producers), they raise the prices to cover fixed expenses (cost of producing) and return on investment. Over simplification: Use less = pay more.

Some states (Virginia) charge a premium tax on hybrids. "The state is expected to collect $6.5 million from the tax this year."
http://www.nbc12.com/story/24438180/on-your-side-investigators-va-collects-25m-from-hybrid-car-tax

P.S. Don't forget to sell it before it needs new batteries.

Last edited:

mbogo470

Maxpower,

You're ignoring the basis for my suspicions.

Taking photos of the front of the house wouldn't concern me unduly - real estate agents and appraisers are a common sight, as are landscapers, pool maintenance guys, HVAC, plumbers, electricians, et al.

Rattling windows and door knobs, jumping walls and gates, or skulking/prowling would DEFINITELY put me on my guard, whether you were armed or not.

Also, an armed stranger who is approaching/addressing me (as opposed to doing his job/minding his own business) would also put me on guard, especially one that exhibited the above behavior.

How would you react if it happened on your street?

mbogo

MaxPower

Maxpower,

You're ignoring the basis for my suspicions.

Taking photos of the front of the house wouldn't concern me unduly - real estate agents and appraisers are a common sight, as are landscapers, pool maintenance guys, HVAC, plumbers, electricians, et al.

Rattling windows and door knobs, jumping walls and gates, or skulking/prowling would DEFINITELY put me on my guard, whether you were armed or not.

Also, an armed stranger who is approaching/addressing me (as opposed to doing his job/minding his own business) would also put me on guard, especially one that exhibited the above behavior.

How would you react if it happened on your street?

mbogo

I'm not sure how you derived from my original post that I'm doing any of these things.

When I arrive at one of the addresses I've been tasked to check out, here's what I do:
1. Take a picture of the number plate on the house for address verification.
2. Take a picture of the front of the house from the street.
3. Check gas and electric meters to see if service is on or off. Take a picture of the gas meter valve for verification.
4a. If utilities are on, I check the front door for posted notices that the house has been confirmed vacant by the lender. If no notices are posted, I take a picture of the front door and pictures down the street in both directions for an overall view of the neighborhood. I jot down some notes and move on to the next house.
4b. If utilities are off, I'll again look for notices on the front door. If they are there, then I'm certain the house is vacant. I try my keys to get inside. If they work, great. If they don't, I'll take pictures of the interior through windows. Perhaps this is your definition of skulking/prowling. At no time am I trying to force my way inside and at no time do I jump over locked fences or walls.

I understand you being on guard while being approached by a stranger. It's certainly the prudent thing to do. I'll keep a standoff distance of about 5 yards when I initially attempt to start a conversation with a neighbor. Usually it's "Excuse me sir/ma'am, may I ask you a question about this house across the street." From there I'll explain my purpose for being there and see what information the neighbor is willing to share about the house.

The purpose of trying to engage the neighbors is two-fold. One, most that I've talked to love to gossip and they usually have some pertinent information to help value the house. Two is to show them that I am being right out in the open about what I'm doing and why I'm there in an attempt to show I have no nefarious notions in mind. Some watch while I'm there to be sure, and what they see is what I described above. If I get inside the house, they'll see me go in with nothing but a camera in my hand and they'll see me come out with nothing but a camera in my hand 3-5 minutes later.

MaxPower

Some states (Virginia) charge a premium tax on hybrids. "The state is expected to collect $6.5 million from the tax this year."
http://www.nbc12.com/story/24438180/on-your-side-investigators-va-collects-25m-from-hybrid-car-tax

P.S. Don't forget to sell it before it needs new batteries.

That's crazy. When I bought mine in 2007 I got a $2000 federal tax credit.

Good advice on selling before the batteries die. I may just use it until it doesn't go anymore, though. I've already got 170K miles on it, but it still runs like a champ.

28kfps

images

That says it all. Very funny.

28kfps

I knew someday the Prius would be cause for me to defend my manhood, lol. If it helps with my redemption, my second vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler lifted 4 inches.

The part I bolded is driver dependent, and since most Prius drivers seem to be out for a Sunday drive, I can understand your perception. On the other hand, I was born with an extra heavy right foot.

With the electric motor giving me 295 ft. lbs. of torque, I can beat most sedans, trucks, and SUVs off the line. Sports cars and motorcycles not so much. I've also had it as fast as 104 (yes, MPH, not KmPH) with more left. In 2007 when I got mine, it also had the lowest drag coefficient of any production vehicle at the time. I don't know if this is still true of current models. The only place it really struggles is hills. Going over the "hump" to Pahrump, I can keep my foot on the floor and the fastest I can go is 60.

Aren’t we a tincy whencey sensitive.:D I have a co-worker with a Prius. Been in it many times. Fine car and there is nothing like DC torque. He purchased it new has over 100k on it. No problems at all. Roomy and nice ride.

wimwag

The gun wouldn't bother me. The Prius would...

Lol I would be weirded out by an OCer driving a Prius. I might even giggle. It goes against the trend of most of us being on the right. And there is no way to safely dispose of those batteries.

Actually, this thread is helping me with a dilemma. I am in the process of buying a house and some of them are in neat clean order on a first visit and completely trashed by the forecloseeous when I come back with the old lady...leading me to fear for the safety of all involved were we to happen upon the disgruntled former owners while viewing a house. I choose concealed, but only because it is winter and most of the places have been winterized. I hate exposing my handguns to the elements.

Now if this drags on into the summer, I will definitely be OCing unless the bank or realty company that owns it tells me not to, which would make me switch realtors pretty quick.

MaxPower

Yesterday was the first day I open carried while working. I think only one person noticed my gun. At least, only one person said something.

Him: You aren't coming to my house, are you?
Me: No, this house across the street. It's scheduled to go to foreclosure tomorrow.
Him: Oh, I saw your gun and thought you might be serving papers. I'm working on a short sale too.
Me: I have to go to the ghetto a lot. Best to be prepared just in case.
Him: I understand, I'm a firefighter.

Conversation about feral cats and 10000 dead roaches at the foreclosed property ensues.

A couple things I realized I have to keep in mind as I go about my day:
1. I need to be certain that my safety vest is tucked in behind the gun and stays there. I don't have my permission slip to allow that fabric to cover the gun.
2. I often stop at one of our many parks when I need to use the bathroom. I need to make sure there aren't any police in the park when I do this since I don't want to take a ride and I don't really have the money or time to beat the rap.

Also, no one ran in terror because of my Kommie Kar. :lol:

Turbod'1

Having read the entire thread, it seems that you're doing it right --in terms of looking like a 'professional'. I've been asked once (and just once as --most people don't even notice the gun), if I'm an off duty cop.

That said, lets get down to the fun stuff!

* How does one get into this line of work. I'd like (not need, (yet anyway)) a job and it sounds interesting and free roaming.

* In my experience, it seems that Prius drivers drive faster than the average bear, which is sorta ironic.

* An Oc'er (not that I've seen one out side of our meet-n-greet) who seemed friendly and with the trappings you wear would not cause me to question you with my hand on my gun.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...* In my experience, it seems that Prius drivers drive faster than the average bear, which is sorta ironic...

Did you see the Top Gear episode where they ran a Prius at its top speed around a European test track? They followed it with a BMW, just doing whatever it needed to keep up. The BMW got better gas mileage!

Last edited:

MaxPower

With your professional appearance, and with ACTING like you are supposed to be there doing your job, the "sheep" who might normally fear you now default to "oh, he's official." Go for it, and it will continue to help normalize OC in general.

If I was a neighbor, I'd think you were nuts going to vacant houses without a gun.

I have now been open carrying at work every day for the past two weeks. The bold part is exactly what I think is happening. People are noticeably more polite to me.

* How does one get into this line of work. I'd like (not need, (yet anyway)) a job and it sounds interesting and free roaming.

Sorry I missed this question Turbod'1. I found this work through an ad on craigslist. If you're serious, I'll ask the business owner if he needs any more drivers. This is certainly not full time employment, so be aware of that. However, for the hours I do work I'm able to make $20-$25/hour. I get paid by the house rather than by the hour. What are your major cross streets? PM me if you don't want to answer here.