• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your thoughts about me OC while working

MaxPower

I'm looking for opinions from this community as I'm trying to decide whether open carrying while I'm working is a good idea or a bad idea. I do not yet have a CCW, so OC or unarmed are my only two legal choices.

First off, I'm an independent contractor and have no "employer restrictions" on carrying while working, so there is no policy restriction on carrying a firearm while I work. What I do is inspect and photograph foreclosed homes for investors that buy them at auction.

I get emailed a list of addresses to drive each day. My duties are to first determine whether the house is vacant or occupied, usually without disturbing the potential occupant. I do this by checking whether utilities are on or off and by talking to neighbors who may be outside when I arrive.

If the house is occupied, I take a few photos of the exterior from the street and take some notes to file my report. If the property is vacant, I take more extensive photos of the entire property, back yard, and interior if possible. I have a set of keys that let me get inside about half of the vacant houses. The other half I take photos through windows that aren't covered with blinds, curtains, etc.

I have yet to run into any situations where I needed to be armed, like squatters or someone cooking meth, but the potential is certainly there. Especially when I have to go to houses in less than desirable areas. I would definitely feel more comfortable armed in case I run into some gang bangers hanging out in one of these vacant houses.

My concern is that people will see an armed man walking around the property and looking through windows of these vacant houses and there will be MWAG calls about me frequently. I'm also concerned that neighbors who are outside will freak out when I approach them to ask if they know any information about the property.

Please share your thoughts.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have you been OCing when "off the clock" or is the concept new to you?

If you have been OCing with any amount of regularity, then likely you have determined it is a non-issue with most people. Don't see why this would change by being on the job.

Did similar work years back as local management broker for the VA and never was the subject of a "suspicious person" call.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I get emailed a list of addresses to drive each day. My duties are to first determine whether the house is vacant or occupied, usually without disturbing the potential occupant. I do this by checking whether utilities are on or off and by talking to neighbors who may be outside when I arrive.

Aren't you disturbing the neighbors then?

I would think that the dangers of animals is greater than that of humans ... racoons, etc..

MaxPower

Aren't you disturbing the neighbors then?

I would think that the dangers of animals is greater than that of humans ... racoons, etc..

I don't go knocking on neighbors doors. It they are out in their yard, washing their car, etc. I'll ask them some questions about the house I'm there to check out.

28kfps

The most noticeable difference I experienced was if I dressed professional the vast majority assumed that I was official.
If a neighbor notice an armed official looking person snooping around the house next door all should be good.
It would appear you are not going incognito. An official looking shirt with the wording of property inspector or what ever title on it might help calm neighbors fear. I am comfortable open carrying everywhere I go. If I could at work I would. Time and experience will tell you if you need to make and adjustments to open carrying while on the job.

MaxPower

Have you been OCing when "off the clock" or is the concept new to you?

If you have been OCing with any amount of regularity, then likely you have determined it is a non-issue with most people. Don't see why this would change by being on the job.

Did similar work years back as local management broker for the VA and never was the subject of a "suspicious person" call.

I've been OCing for close to a year and am now much more comfortable than when I started. I suppose I still have to rid myself of some bits of my years of indoctrination.

MaxPower

The most noticeable difference I experienced was if I dressed professional the vast majority assumed that I was official.
If a neighbor notice an armed official looking person snooping around the house next door all should be good.
It would appear you are not going incognito. An official looking shirt with the wording of property inspector or what ever title on it might help calm neighbors fear. I am comfortable open carrying everywhere I go. If I could at work I would. Time and experience will tell you if you need to make and adjustments to open carrying while on the job.

Good piece of advice, thank you.

You are correct in that I am not going incognito. I generally wear a yellow safety vest since I'm standing in the middle of the street quite a bit. Under that is either a polo shirt and a decent pair of jeans, or if it's cold a sweatshirt with a decent pair of jeans. And almost always a wide brimmed hat (boonie hat style) to keep the sun off of me. I did notice that once I started wearing the safety vest, people started assuming I was supposed to be there.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
With your professional appearance, and with ACTING like you are supposed to be there doing your job, the "sheep" who might normally fear you now default to "oh, he's official." Go for it, and it will continue to help normalize OC in general.

If I was a neighbor, I'd think you were nuts going to vacant houses without a gun.

mbogo470

OC doesn't bother me. Skulking or prowling around does.

If I saw someone carrying a gun walking around a neighbor's property, I'd keep an eye on them while calling the neighbor to forewarn them (some of my neighbors own firearms).

If they forced entry, I'd call the police.

If I knew the house was foreclosed upon and uninhabited, and the (armed) person used a key to enter the property, I'd still keep an eye on the property with the phone handy. If they come out with anything other than what they went in with, I'd call the police as my assumption would be that they are stripping the house.

mbogo

MaxPower

OC doesn't bother me. Skulking or prowling around does.

If I saw someone carrying a gun walking around a neighbor's property, I'd keep an eye on them while calling the neighbor to forewarn them (some of my neighbors own firearms).

If they forced entry, I'd call the police.

If I knew the house was foreclosed upon and uninhabited, and the (armed) person used a key to enter the property, I'd still keep an eye on the property with the phone handy. If they come out with anything other than what they went in with, I'd call the police as my assumption would be that they are stripping the house.

mbogo

Would you react any differently if the person wasn't carrying a gun?

If you were outside, and I (driving a Prius, wearing a yellow safety vest, and very obviously carrying a camera) approached you, saying "Excuse me sir, this house across the street is scheduled to go to the foreclosure auction tomorrow. Do you know if it's occupied or vacant?" What would your reaction be? Would your reaction be any different based on whether I'm carrying a gun or not?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran

If you were outside, and I (driving a Prius, wearing a yellow safety vest, and very obviously carrying a camera) approached you, saying "Excuse me sir, this house across the street is scheduled to go to the foreclosure auction tomorrow. Do you know if it's occupied or vacant?" What would your reaction be? Would your reaction be any different based on whether I'm carrying a gun or not?

The gun wouldn't bother me. The Prius would...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The gun wouldn't bother me. The Prius would...

Now that is downright funny.

Max, there is a contractor over on the Washington State forum called Sudden Valley Gunner. He has been OCing at his site and the sites of others for many years and he may have some insight for you.

mbogo470

It depends.

If you were prowling or skulking (armed or unarmed) or walking around checking doors and windows, I would infer that you were a burglar and a threat. I might infer from the Prius that you were a liberal, a Kommiefornian, and an even bigger threat :lol:.

You are a stranger, so I would not answer your questions regarding any of my neighbors or the houses in my neighborhood whether you were carrying or not.

If I could discern that you were carrying, I'd have my hand on my gun and tell you not to approach me. Any question you had would be asked from the street.

It isn't paranoia, it is prudence.

mbogo

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

If I could discern that you were carrying, I'd have my hand on my gun and tell you not to approach me. Any question you had would be asked from the street.
Understand and agree with all except "my hand on my gun" - see serious problems with that.

R.D.

It depends.

If you were prowling or skulking (armed or unarmed) or walking around checking doors and windows, I would infer that you were a burglar and a threat. I might infer from the Prius that you were a liberal, a Kommiefornian, and an even bigger threat :lol:.

You are a stranger, so I would not answer your questions regarding any of my neighbors or the houses in my neighborhood whether you were carrying or not.

It isn't paranoia, it is prudence.

mbogo

Then am I to assume then you greet all ocer's with a hand on your gun allowing he has down nothing wrong or illegal. I bet if a LEO responded that way Half the people on this forum would be going ballistic over it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
images