Thread: Sterling Heights, Mich, OC detainment, seizure, handcuffing

Sterling Heights, Mich, OC detainment, seizure, handcuffing

Unknown who this is, the name is unclear on the recording. Date on recording shows 2008/01/02 (but that may mean nothing), YouTube description says July 2013.

Officer approaches man walking down the road with a drawn sidearm.

ExCopLawStudent says it happened to James Baker and a friend on 18 July 2013
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-12-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Banned
    AT time 2:44 the LAC should have backed up to keep the distance as great as possible to keep his advantage of pistol v rifle. Looks like the LAC is being attacked initially.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-12-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Why?
    Legally, he was detained as soon as the pretty, flashing lights came on and the officer drew a gun on him. "Creating distance" is immaterial at that point.

Did you catch the jowl on that Jenny Craig candidate sporting Sergeant chevrons?

"They're following the open carry law, there's nothing we can do". ~ Dispatcher at tail end of video

Doesn't sound like too bad of a response until you factor in the delivery, which tonally implies "as much as we want to protect your children from certain death, we are helpless to protect you. We have brave warriors standing by to exterminate these transgressors, but until good people like you give us free reign to dominate and control these nonconformists, we can't save you".
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

Banned
    What part of KEEP do people not understand?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Video disabled????
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Unknown who this is, the name is unclear on the recording. Date on recording shows 2008/01/02 (but that may mean nothing), YouTube description says July 2013.

Officer approaches man walking down the road with a drawn sidearm.

ExCopLawStudent says it happened to James Baker and a friend on 18 July 2013
    I would suggest the people in this contact Steven Dulan Esq.:

http://www.stevenwdulan.com/
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Police Dispatcher: "They arefollowing the open carry law... " WTF! Which one? The 2A, MI Const. A1 Sec.6...both? When they can't even grasp the concept of freedom to protect ones self... I see trouble on the horizon.

P.S. this only confirms my suspicions that: gross donut consumption = reduced mental capacity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxJEeVfq2U
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-13-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

If I call Sterling Heights police or 911 do you think they will tell me where I can get a copy of this "open carry law" ?

No one's ever mixed up their words before? The operator meant to say, "They're following the law" she added "open carry" because that was the nature of the call and it came out, "the open carry law."
    Nothing to get upset about, unless you're the one person in the whole world who's never confused their words.

No one's ever mixed up their words before? The operator meant to say, "They're following the law" she added "open carry" because that was the nature of the call and it came out, "the open carry law."
    Nothing to get upset about, unless you're the one person in the whole world who's never confused their words.
    Over the last several years ...I've heard "open carry law" in the press & from police enough to believe it is an attempt to make people think there is some "special" law they must qualify for/obey. Once or twice maybe a mix up. Repeated over & over again = effort. Maybe this was a simple mistake, but you are naive , if you don't think there's more behind trying to label a right a privilege.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 01-22-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

It's certainly possible that she's part of some conspiracy, organized or unorganized.
    But there's also the axiom, "When you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."

It's certainly possible that she's part of some conspiracy, organized or unorganized.
    But there's also the axiom, "When you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."
    Occam's razor.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 01-25-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

These guys are approached by an officer who already has his handgun drawn. Seems like the dispatcher could have asked the callers a little more about the BEHAVIOUR of the armed LACs, and the officers could have exercised a little bit of their observation skills to determine that these men were not combative.

And I just love how the question "Am I doing anything illegal?" is now almost always followed by the LEOs' reply of "That's what we're trying to figure out." Guilty until proven innocent...
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

"That's what we're trying to figure out" might weigh things heavily in the plaintiff's favor should a civil suit be filed. It demonstrates that the officer admits that he had no reasonable suspicion of illegality.