• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sterling Heights, Mich, OC detainment, seizure, handcuffing

Fallschirjmäger

Unknown who this is, the name is unclear on the recording. Date on recording shows 2008/01/02 (but that may mean nothing), YouTube description says July 2013.

Officer approaches man walking down the road with a drawn sidearm.
[video=youtube;kDMzsoSgrZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDMzsoSgrZc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

ExCopLawStudent says it happened to James Baker and a friend on 18 July 2013

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
AT time 2:44 the LAC should have backed up to keep the distance as great as possible to keep his advantage of pistol v rifle. Looks like the LAC is being attacked initially.

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

Did you catch the jowl on that Jenny Craig candidate sporting Sergeant chevrons?

"They're following the open carry law, there's nothing we can do". ~ Dispatcher at tail end of video

Doesn't sound like too bad of a response until you factor in the delivery, which tonally implies "as much as we want to protect your children from certain death, we are helpless to protect you. We have brave warriors standing by to exterminate these transgressors, but until good people like you give us free reign to dominate and control these nonconformists, we can't save you".

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Unknown who this is, the name is unclear on the recording. Date on recording shows 2008/01/02 (but that may mean nothing), YouTube description says July 2013.

Officer approaches man walking down the road with a drawn sidearm.
[video=youtube;kDMzsoSgrZc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDMzsoSgrZc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

ExCopLawStudent says it happened to James Baker and a friend on 18 July 2013

I would suggest the people in this contact Steven Dulan Esq.:

http://www.stevenwdulan.com/

FreeInAZ

Police Dispatcher: "They arefollowing the open carry law... " WTF! Which one? The 2A, MI Const. A1 Sec.6...both? When they can't even grasp the concept of freedom to protect ones self... I see trouble on the horizon. :(

P.S. this only confirms my suspicions that: gross donut consumption = reduced mental capacity. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxJEeVfq2U

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

No one's ever mixed up their words before? The operator meant to say, "They're following the law" she added "open carry" because that was the nature of the call and it came out, "the open carry law."
Nothing to get upset about, unless you're the one person in the whole world who's never confused their words.

FreeInAZ

No one's ever mixed up their words before? The operator meant to say, "They're following the law" she added "open carry" because that was the nature of the call and it came out, "the open carry law."
Nothing to get upset about, unless you're the one person in the whole world who's never confused their words.

Over the last several years ...I've heard "open carry law" in the press & from police enough to believe it is an attempt to make people think there is some "special" law they must qualify for/obey. Once or twice maybe a mix up. Repeated over & over again = effort. Maybe this was a simple mistake, but you are naive , if you don't think there's more behind trying to label a right a privilege.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

It's certainly possible that she's part of some conspiracy, organized or unorganized.
But there's also the axiom, "When you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."

Rusty Young Man

These guys are approached by an officer who already has his handgun drawn. Seems like the dispatcher could have asked the callers a little more about the BEHAVIOUR of the armed LACs, and the officers could have exercised a little bit of their observation skills to determine that these men were not combative.

And I just love how the question "Am I doing anything illegal?" is now almost always followed by the LEOs' reply of "That's what we're trying to figure out." Guilty until proven innocent...

Fallschirjmäger

"That's what we're trying to figure out" might weigh things heavily in the plaintiff's favor should a civil suit be filed. It demonstrates that the officer admits that he had no reasonable suspicion of illegality.