• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TX long gun incident: This is probably worth a discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Which begs the question, "How would one carry in a non threatening manner, not to cause alarm?"

Hmmm, perhaps slung on shoulder or across the back, finger not near the trigger, gun not waved around or pointed at anyone - just simply being transported on foot.

Feeling alarm is an internal reaction that does not in itself indicate that the one carrying the gun did anything overt or deliberate with the intention of causing alarm. We should not be penalized for the perceptions of others - a party feeling alarm should not be our problem absenting a delberate threatening action on our part.

OC for ME

Which begs the question, "How would one carry in a non threatening manner, not to cause alarm?"

Hmmm, perhaps slung on shoulder or across the back, finger not near the trigger, gun not waved around or pointed at anyone - just simply being transported on foot.

Feeling alarm is an internal reaction that does not in itself indicate that the one carrying the gun did anything overt or deliberate with the intention of causing alarm. We should not be penalized for the perceptions of others - a party feeling alarm should not be our problem absenting a delberate threatening action on our part.
Bingo, you just described the photo of the miscreant.

OC for ME

I guess the PAs "logic" is that the gun was put there by someone else, and the dude did not notice until the good officers informed him of the odd addition to his attire. So, he obciously calculated to carry the rifle, and somebody got scared (or said they did), so BAM!!!, the dude is a disorderly conducting criminal.....see?

OldCurlyWolf

I read today that the OC'er was a lessee in the Mall and along with several other shops is now in the process of Vacating his store there.

It seems the mall's foot traffic has dropped significantly since they posted the Texas required 30.06 signs.

:cool:

Firearms Iinstuctor

An interesting take.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2014/01/texas-mall-that-banned-guns-over-open.html

Parksdale mall in Beaumont, Texas banned guns from their establishment after one of their renters open carried a rifle slung over his back to his firearms business in the mall, and someone complained. Police arrested him for "disorderly conduct". The mall said that they have always been anti-gun, but they never bothered to post the legally required signs before. There may be a reason for that "lapse".

Remote Control Hobbies is the second to leave, after Golden Triangle Tactical, the shop that belongs to Derek Poe, who open carried as protected by the Texas Constitution. From 12newsnow.com:

"We had to second think if we were going to stay. We made the decision we're going to leave because of the stance on concealed guns," Owner Cherilyn Mitchell said. "Now everyone is saying they're going to boycott the mall. I've gone from 150 tickets a day to two. Here it is on a Sunday and I have no traffic."
Texas is one of a few states that does not allow open carry of handguns, a relic left over from reconstruction and the capetbagger government.

Last edited:

eye95

Lesson to be learned: Don't disallow firearms. Don't welcome them. Just keep your mouth shut and let your customers follow the law or suffer the legal consequences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

langenc

In MI, OC is OC. Any gun since the STATE constitution says "citizens may bear guns for the defense of themselves and the state" or close to that, State constitution!!

Yes, there are various opinions and the police are being educated also.

Check the website MOC.com, I believe. If not just google Michigan Open Carry.

PeterNSteinmetz

Bob Owens, the principal writer at Bearing Arms is frequently upset by OC. He seems to think that not exercising ones rights and cowering because some people may be upset, is a good tactic for the RKBA.

wimwag

Yeah I realized that I posted it in the wrong thread but I can't delete it from tapatalk.

Seigi

A single man carrying a weapon and freaking people out "forces" a mall to go GFZ? How is it that a multitude of rampages don''t force them to take the signs down?

Because it was their choice. It wasn't forced. They did what they wanted to. This nonsense of blaming ideological allies for the offensive actions of ideological enemies needs to stop.

stealthyeliminator

A single man carrying a weapon and freaking people out "forces" a mall to go GFZ? How is it that a multitude of rampages don''t force them to take the signs down?

Because it was their choice. It wasn't forced. They did what they wanted to. This nonsense of blaming ideological allies for the offensive actions of ideological enemies needs to stop.

Wow. QFT

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

GFZs are illogical and the persons that so designate them as such are equally so.

Jack House

Did Jack in the Box begin posting signs or just issued a piece of fluff?

If all he did was issue a statement without changing policy, I don't see the issue.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.