• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock lost a potential customer today

wimwag

I have to mention this again...try getting them to take a look at your DD 214. Employers prefer the long version but in this case a short should do the trick.

flhrci

I have to mention this again...try getting them to take a look at your DD 214. Employers prefer the long version but in this case a short should do the trick.

I saw what you said earlier. I could do that but in this particular case, Glock pre-qualifies you before they even send you the form to fill out, so it isn't goign to change at this point from what I can tell by me doing that. Oh well. Disappointed yes, pissed off naw.

Actually, I suppose I could have lied on the web form for pre-qualification but I chose to be honest and ask.

David

flhrci

You know they both have incentive pricing similar to what Glock does, right? So do Noveske, Rainier Arms, Larue, Viking Tactical, Colt, Nighthawk Custom, Caspian, SIG, and H&K among others.

You may get stuck having to get a Kimber.

Speaking of discrimination and unfairness, did you know most grocery stores let their employees pay less for food? It's discriminatory, I tell ya.

I know S&W has a had a military program but it is supposed to be coming back again this year. No details on any qualifications yet. Have not checked into anything else just yet.

Kimber would need a 50% off for me to buy one . LOL Too pricey!

Grocery store employees need all the help they can get at minimum wage!

David

WalkingWolf

You know they both have incentive pricing similar to what Glock does, right? So do Noveske, Rainier Arms, Larue, Viking Tactical, Colt, Nighthawk Custom, Caspian, SIG, and H&K among others.

You may get stuck having to get a Kimber.

Speaking of discrimination and unfairness, did you know most grocery stores let their employees pay less for food? It's discriminatory, I tell ya.

Damn I was cheated, I worked for Food Lion for some time as a meat cutter, no discount. Though when I worked for Albert Fischer not only was health care free but any food we could carry out the door of the warehouse. I worked part time for them in Florida should have never quit.

CCI gave employees any damaged or out of date product they could carry also. Not sure if that was company policy or just the policy of the warehouse manager. Damaged or out of date was destroyed anyway so it did not hurt CCI bottom line.

I also got dog food for free from one of the elevators in Illinois, didn't work for them but they refused to take my money. They also gave me as much polishing media as I wanted to polish brass with.

The people that really make out are hospital employees in most cases. When I worked for Memorial part time they paid for foundation insurance, and paid any deductibles on hospital charges.

Security for a marina I could use any boat owned by the marina for my own personal use.

You just have to find the right job to get a perk.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Damn I was cheated, I worked for Food Lion for some time as a meat cutter, no discount. Though when I worked for Albert Fischer not only was health care free but any food we could carry out the door of the warehouse. I worked part time for them in Florida should have never quit.

CCI gave employees any damaged or out of date product they could carry also. Not sure if that was company policy or just the policy of the warehouse manager. Damaged or out of date was destroyed anyway so it did not hurt CCI bottom line.

I also got dog food for free from one of the elevators in Illinois, didn't work for them but they refused to take my money. They also gave me as much polishing media as I wanted to polish brass with.

The people that really make out are hospital employees in most cases. When I worked for Memorial part time they paid for foundation insurance, and paid any deductibles on hospital charges.

Security for a marina I could use any boat owned by the marina for my own personal use.

You just have to find the right job to get a perk.

I worked at a QFC (Kroger) grocery store and got ten percent off of all kroger owned brands and all perimeter department purchases......

you were cheated if your retail employer didn't give you employee discount!

WalkingWolf

I worked at a QFC (Kroger) grocery store and got ten percent off of all kroger owned brands and all perimeter department purchases......

you were cheated if your retail employer didn't give you employee discount!

I made more per hour than the local Kroger store meat cutters did, and I didn't have to pay union dues. I also got stock each year that Food Lion PAYED FOR. As well as a end of the year bonus that equaled out to a months pay.

And this was as a part time employee. How much were those Union dues again?

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I made more per hour than the local Kroger store meat cutters did, and I didn't have to pay union dues. I also got stock each year that Food Lion PAYED FOR. As well as a end of the year bonus that equaled out to a months pay.

And this was as a part time employee. How much were those Union dues again?

you take everything very seriously! I forgot to add a smiley... my bad. but just to answer your question.

my Union Dues were not much at all, it was like, 15 dollars a month or something like that, I'll have to break out my box of pay stubs to see what it was........ and they were taken out like 3.7-somethin' dollars a week.... I never missed it.

WalkingWolf

you take everything very seriously! I forgot to add a smiley... my bad. but just to answer your question.

my Union Dues were not much at all, it was like, 15 dollars a month or something like that, I'll have to break out my box of pay stubs to see what it was........ and they were taken out like 3.7-somethin' dollars a week.... I never missed it.

I'll have to research because that is one of the major complaints of the Kroger employees here. They make less than non union markets and have to pay dues to boot. Plus it seems that Kroger is closing more and more stores. Kroger bought out Harris Teeters, and they remain non union and get no discount. But again the HT employees make more then the Kroger employees do.

I wouldn't work for Krogers if it was the last job around. Union but no job security, pay dues for less pay. And then a 10% discount that works out to maybe 100 bucks if a person spends over a grand on food. We only spend $400 a month on food and even less than when I worked for FL. Not to mention that FL prices are probably 10% less than Krogers to begin with. And definatly 10% or more less to shop at Walmart. Yea that 10% was a big deal. LMAO!

Kinda like the discounts that Glock gives when Ruger is not only a better gun, but less money without the discount. Hell if a person CC's they can get a P-11 for $253. Glock like Kroger can take their discount and shove it.

Sorta like Colts discount when a person can buy a good working clone for half the price of the discounted gun.:lol:

Glock and S&W are making fools of the public, but that is their right to take advantage of greed. I would, but then I would first try to offer a quality product at a affordable price, and win the hearts of EVERYBODY.

YMMV...

EMNofSeattle

I'll have to research because that is one of the major complaints of the Kroger employees here. They make less than non union markets and have to pay dues to boot. Plus it seems that Kroger is closing more and more stores. Kroger bought out Harris Teeters, and they remain non union and get no discount. But again the HT employees make more then the Kroger employees do.

I wouldn't work for Krogers if it was the last job around. Union but no job security, pay dues for less pay. And then a 10% discount that works out to maybe 100 bucks if a person spends over a grand on food. We only spend $400 a month on food and even less than when I worked for FL. Not to mention that FL prices are probably 10% less than Krogers to begin with. And definatly 10% or more less to shop at Walmart. Yea that 10% was a big deal. LMAO!

Kinda like the discounts that Glock gives when Ruger is not only a better gun, but less money without the discount. Hell if a person CC's they can get a P-11 for $253. Glock like Kroger can take their discount and shove it.

Sorta like Colts discount when a person can buy a good working clone for half the price of the discounted gun.:lol:

Glock and S&W are making fools of the public, but that is their right to take advantage of greed. I would, but then I would first try to offer a quality product at a affordable price, and win the hearts of EVERYBODY.

YMMV...

around here Wal Mart and Fred Meyer (which is owned by Kroger and is a similiar store) are about the same price wise....Wal-Mart offers slightly better deals on some consumer products, but food is roughly the same.

QFC where I worked is owned by Fred Meyer, which is owned by Kroger, so it's a sub brand..... I wouldn't be surprised if things are different, it's probably a different union on the east coast....

as far as Rugers beating glocks, I've never owned an SR so I couldn't compare, but I can say with some certainty the glock is a better gun then the P-94 and the P-345. I've shot a variety of handguns, S&W M&P or Glock are best all around values. if you can only afford a hi-point or a philipine knockoff of a police positive revolver, then by all means that's what you get... if you have some money to spend on a gun, the Glock or S&W is what to get..... a glock 19 is now my EDC, excellent firearm. if the hi point was equal to glock then police departments would be jumping to arm their officers for 150 dollars a person instead of 400 dollars. I will never buy any kel-tec handgun, their quality control is horrendous, a person I know rented a new kel tec at a range and had 5 malfunctions straight outta the box...... I would consider buying a hi-point if I need another 9, hi point is ok.

WalkingWolf

around here Wal Mart and Fred Meyer (which is owned by Kroger and is a similiar store) are about the same price wise....Wal-Mart offers slightly better deals on some consumer products, but food is roughly the same.

QFC where I worked is owned by Fred Meyer, which is owned by Kroger, so it's a sub brand..... I wouldn't be surprised if things are different, it's probably a different union on the east coast....

as far as Rugers beating glocks, I've never owned an SR so I couldn't compare, but I can say with some certainty the glock is a better gun then the P-94 and the P-345. I've shot a variety of handguns, S&W M&P or Glock are best all around values. if you can only afford a hi-point or a philipine knockoff of a police positive revolver, then by all means that's what you get... if you have some money to spend on a gun, the Glock or S&W is what to get..... a glock 19 is now my EDC, excellent firearm. if the hi point was equal to glock then police departments would be jumping to arm their officers for 150 dollars a person instead of 400 dollars. I will never buy any kel-tec handgun, their quality control is horrendous, a person I know rented a new kel tec at a range and had 5 malfunctions straight outta the box...... I would consider buying a hi-point if I need another 9, hi point is ok.

S&W quality is down the crappper! Glock is OK for some, but not at those prices. I don't like Glocks, I don't like their feel, I don't like the trigger with no manual safety. Honestly I think they are junk for what they charge. Ruger on the other hand makes excellent QUALITY firearms at a reasonable price. They are striker fired yet have a manual safety, their reputation for service is outstanding. I would by a Hi Point or a RI before a Glunk. I own a police positive BTW, not a clone of one. Pfffft! But I would buy a clone before I would buy a Glunk. BTW my Colt clone is a 1873 it has a better finish and fit than a Colt, a transfer bar safety, at a third of the price of a Colt. I can't help some people do not know anything about shopping. Pfffft!

For a compact I would buy a P-11 before a Glunk, for duty I would buy a Ruger before a Glunk. And I would by a Hi-Power or 1911 before any other semi auto. I just don't like Glunks, and I would not buy a S&W unless it was vintage. One of the primary concerns with any product is service, the American car manufacturers found this out the hard way. The Harley Davidson snobbery almost put them out of business in the 80's. Sooner or later it will catch up to Smith and Glunk.

EMNofSeattle

S&W quality is down the crappper! Glock is OK for some, but not at those prices. I don't like Glocks, I don't like their feel, I don't like the trigger with no manual safety. Honestly I think they are junk for what they charge. Ruger on the other hand makes excellent QUALITY firearms at a reasonable price. They are striker fired yet have a manual safety, their reputation for service is outstanding. I would by a Hi Point or a RI before a Glunk. I own a police positive BTW, not a clone of one. Pfffft! But I would buy a clone before I would buy a Glunk. BTW my Colt clone is a 1873 it has a better finish and fit than a Colt, a transfer bar safety, at a third of the price of a Colt. I can't help some people do not know anything about shopping. Pfffft!

For a compact I would buy a P-11 before a Glunk, for duty I would buy a Ruger before a Glunk. And I would by a Hi-Power or 1911 before any other semi auto. I just don't like Glunks, and I would not buy a S&W unless it was vintage. One of the primary concerns with any product is service, the American car manufacturers found this out the hard way. The Harley Davidson snobbery almost put them out of business in the 80's. Sooner or later it will catch up to Smith and Glunk.

Smith and Wessons are perfectly sound. I don't care what the "BC gap" measures, if you're the kind of guy who goes down with calipers and measures these things then you've probably invented criteria so contrived that only your preferred gun will pass the "Test" much like how IDPA seems to exclude alot of non-1911 guns..... I have fired new smith revolvers and their M&P pistols, the workmanship is sound and they shoot well. plus Smith warranties their product for life.

Glocks are certainly better then the P-11. they operate far better then the ruger P-series, I will withold judgement on the SR series pistols.

manual safeties and external hammers on semis are a thing of the past, they are obsolete as a design, striker fired pistols are far better, the only pistol I would consider buying for carry with an external hammer is a SIG. if RI was better then glocks more people would own them, more police departments would use them, more military forces would use them. the British Army finally got rid of the Hi-power in favor of the Glock 17 a few years ago as an example, if the Hi-point is so much better, why didn't the British Army save millions of pounds by buying a cheaper gun of superior quality? answer.... because the Glock is better then the high power in function and quality. I can't change reality.

WalkingWolf

Smith and Wessons are perfectly sound. I don't care what the "BC gap" measures, if you're the kind of guy who goes down with calipers and measures these things then you've probably invented criteria so contrived that only your preferred gun will pass the "Test" much like how IDPA seems to exclude alot of non-1911 guns..... I have fired new smith revolvers and their M&P pistols, the workmanship is sound and they shoot well. plus Smith warranties their product for life.

Glocks are certainly better then the P-11. they operate far better then the ruger P-series, I will withold judgement on the SR series pistols.

manual safeties and external hammers on semis are a thing of the past, they are obsolete as a design, striker fired pistols are far better, the only pistol I would consider buying for carry with an external hammer is a SIG. if RI was better then glocks more people would own them, more police departments would use them, more military forces would use them. the British Army finally got rid of the Hi-power in favor of the Glock 17 a few years ago as an example, if the Hi-point is so much better, why didn't the British Army save millions of pounds by buying a cheaper gun of superior quality? answer.... because the Glock is better then the high power in function and quality. I can't change reality.

Maybe for you but I have much higher expectations. To each his own...

mobiushky

Funny, the only pistol I've ever seen consistently malfunction at my competitions was a Browning Hi-Power. I'm sure he probably hadn't worked out the kinks on it, but then a very large number of other shooters didn't have any problems with their pistols without having to work out any kinks. Just my experience.

Last edited:

Kopis

more entitlement mentality. OP knew he didnt qualify for the stated discount program and is mad when they tell him he doesnt?

Maverick9

Maybe for you but I have much higher expectations. To each his own...

I think he's missing your implied point. All we can do is look for 'surface' gaps in the quality. We can't easily go to the factory and see how they're doing production and see just how 'deep' the quality decline is.

In fact, AFAIK, Randall Knives is the only place not cheaping out, using foreign labor/materials. The son does the same hand-done methods as the Old Man. From what I heard, anyway.

Who else?

FWIW

WalkingWolf

more entitlement mentality. OP knew he didnt qualify for the stated discount program and is mad when they tell him he doesnt?

We all probably feel entitled over something. I remember about 15 years ago my wife getting mad because a restaurant gave us a seniors discount. She felt she was not entitled to one, I had to listen to her complain about it all day. I felt entitled not to listen to it. And she felt that she was entitled that I listen.

Where is that head nodding yes dear smiley?...

Last edited:

flhrci

We all probably feel entitled over something. I remember about 15 years ago my wife getting mad because a restaurant gave us a seniors discount. She felt she was not entitled to one, I had to listen to her complain about it all day. I felt entitled not to listen to it. And she felt that she was entitled that I listen.

Where is that head nodding yes dear smiley?...

Sounds like it was painful for you. You have my deepest sympathy.

Still single :),

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: