Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida movie theater shooting leaves one dead, one wounded

Florida movie theater shooting leaves one dead, one wounded

"A man is dead and a woman wounded following a shooting Monday afternoon at the Grove 16 movie theater in Wesley Chapel, Fla. A male suspect opened fire at about 1:30 p.m. during a showing of “Lone Survivor” at 6333 Wesley Grove Boulevard, ABC Action News in Tampa reported. Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco told reporters that a fight erupted before the shooting over “noise from a cell phone.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ooting-police/

G00gle Real time coverage
    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...anM&authuser=0

USAToday today: "Investigators describe the shooting as an "isolated incident."

Fox: "I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie," added Cummings, a Marine who served in Vietnam. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn or even a cell phone."

Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco identified the suspect as retired Tampa police officer Curtis Reeves, according to reports.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-13-2014 at 05:40 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Update: Sheriff Chris Nocco, suspect is retired Tampa police Curtis Reeves

Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco identified the suspect as retired Tampa police officer Curtis Reeves, according to reports.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ooting-police/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-13-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Banned

Well, that's OK then ... nevermind! He thought the cellphone he was talking on 2 ft in front of him was a bazooka ...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

Well, that's OK then ... nevermind! He thought the cellphone he was talking on 2 ft in front of him was a bazooka ...
    Well, he's retarded..err...retired, so I am sure he won't get the full benefit of being a "active" member of the kings men. I see a suspended sentence & community service in his near future.

However annoying some @$$hats on phones are, I don't think they should be shot for it. May karma give them all a bad case of lock jaw and arthritis of the hands.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

The idea was floated on a forum rather well known for being very supportive of almost any officer's actions in almost situation, so I'll paraphrase it here...

There are some people who believe that the 'best defense is a good offense' and will react ... mmm.. rather vociferously if they feel 'disrespected' or that their dignity was somehow abridged. The newspaper was unspecific, but there is a possibility that the deceased physically threatened the older gentleman making fearful of life or limb.

Reeves and his wife were sitting behind the Oulsons as the preview trailers were rolling just before the showing of "Lone Survivor," the Mark Wahlberg movie about a failed 2007 Navy Seal raid in Afghanistan, investigators said.

Reeves asked Chad Oulson several times to stop, to no avail, Nocco said. He then left the theater to complain to the theater's management before returning to his seat, the sheriff said.

Upon his return, "Chad Oulson then starts confronting him verbally, starts saying: 'Oh, did you go in there and start complaining on me? Did you tell the staff about me?'" Nocco said.

"This verbal altercation starts getting louder and louder. During this altercation, it goes from a verbal to a physical altercation," he said.

Then, "the suspect, Curtis Reeves, pulled out a gun," Nocco said.

Only one shot was fired, Nocco said. Nichole Oulson was wounded in the hand when she grabbed her husband as Reeves pulled the trigger, he said.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-wesley4-0113.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	11121
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-13-2014 at 09:54 PM.

That movie theater sure is serious about its "no cell phone during the movie" policy.

From the media reports, if true, the victim was texting. How the hell can one be upset by somebody quietly texting? This former cop was a idiot, and it makes you wonder about the department that kept him on long enough to retire.

I hope he gets life, and the inmates introduce him to the pick up the soap game.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    From the media reports, if true, the victim was texting. How the hell can one be upset by somebody quietly texting? This former cop was a idiot, and it makes you wonder about the department that kept him on long enough to retire.

I hope he gets life, and the inmates introduce him to the pick up the soap game.
    He's 71. With the mandatory sentencing laws we have in Florida, if he's convicted the sentence will effectively be a life sentence for him no matter what it is.

F.S. 775.087(2)(a)(3):
    Any person who is convicted of a felony or an attempt to commit a felony listed in sub-subparagraphs (a)1.a.-q., regardless of whether the use of a weapon is an element of the felony, and during the course of the commission of the felony such person discharged a “firearm” or “destructive device” as defined in s. 790.001 and, as the result of the discharge, death or great bodily harm was inflicted upon any person, the convicted person shall be sentenced to a minimum term of imprisonment of not less than 25 years and not more than a term of imprisonment of life in prison.
    Last edited by BrianB; 01-14-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)
    If you CCW, consider the benefits of joining CCWSafe.com.

I just saw a news report showing the shooting suspect in custody and leaving the theater. It showed him walking alone, a police officer several feet ahead of him, handcuffed in front rather than behind, in a white bunny suit without the ears to a waiting squad car. The door was opened for him and he entered at his leisure, rather than the customary cuff n' stuff the rest of the world is so familiar with.

Name:	tampa cop.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	11123

Name:	tampa cop1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	11124

I'm surprised they didn't get him an unmarked Town Car. I'm sure he got the executive holding cell, complete with valet and chef.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1578945
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    I just saw a news report showing the shooting suspect in custody and leaving the theater. It showed him walking alone, a police officer several feet ahead of him, handcuffed in front rather than behind, in a white bunny suit without the ears to a waiting squad car. The door was opened for him and he entered at his leisure, rather than the customary cuff n' stuff the rest of the world is so familiar with.

Name:	tampa cop.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	11123

Name:	tampa cop1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	11124

I'm surprised they didn't get him an unmarked Town Car. I'm sure he got the executive holding cell, complete with valet and chef.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1578945
    Great catch! Either we are equal or we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Great catch! Either we are equal or we are not.
    Obviously; we are not!

A brief bio.....very brief.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...-curtis-reeves

Of not is the claim that he helped establish the TPD Tactical Response Team.

Reeves told authorities that "he was in fear of being attacked" during Monday's conf

"A 71-year-old retired police officer accused of shooting a man dead in a Florida movie theater told authorities that "he was in fear of being attacked" during Monday's confrontation. [ ... ] After officers read him his rights, Reeves told the detective that Oulson struck him in the face with an unknown object, and that's when he removed a .380 caliber gun from his pants pocket. The report said Reeves fired the gun and struck Oulson once in the chest and that he "was in fear of being attacked."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...eater-21517384

there are a lot of things that bother me about this story. the biggest is it is played across the country as "oh no, another shooting in a Theater". when really it was probably a murder.

i just learned in this thread that it was a retired LEO. goes to show you the privileged class are not always right.

on one report i heard that a "good Samaritan" held him at bay , till the LE arrived. how did he hold him? did the Samaritan have a gun? i wished the biased media would say more about this. it's just like the shooting at the Arapahoe school. a good guy with a gun stopped the shooter, but you hear nothing about that
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    [... ]on one report i heard that a "good Samaritan" held him at bay , till the LE arrived. how did he hold him? did the Samaritan have a gun? i wished the biased media would say more about this. it's just like the shooting at the Arapahoe school. a good guy with a gun stopped the shooter, but you hear nothing about that
    Not a "good Samaritan" but another cop bystander.

Of course the media would not report about a lawfully armed citizen stopping violence. It goes against their agenda, the disarmament of the law abiding public. The reports now are it was a "off duty deputy" who held him until police arrived...of course it was....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Sooo if it was a off duty deputy, why did he not diffuse it before it lead to gunfire?

There are those around that claim police are there to make us safe, yet in this instance it would appear that the LEO did nothing until after the fact.

Another instance that proves that our safety is our responsibility, not the government.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Another instance that proves that our safety is our responsibility, not the government.
    A collective cannot be responsible. A collective exists to diffuse and divert responsibility for failure. Who accepts the praise for a collective, the leader and NOT the collective.

Sooo if it was a off duty deputy, why did he not diffuse it before it lead to gunfire?

There are those around that claim police are there to make us safe, yet in this instance it would appear that the LEO did nothing until after the fact.

Speaking of the off-duty deputy, this article said:
    An off-duty Sumter County deputy who was in the theater detained him until police arrived, Nocco said.

It's not clear whether the unnamed off-duty cop was armed.
    If the off-duty Sumter County deputy was not armed at the time, I bet it will be awhile before he heads out without a gun again.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)
    If you CCW, consider the benefits of joining CCWSafe.com.

Other reports quote Cummins, a witness that attempted to give aid to the victim after he fell on he and his son after being shot as claiming:

"The man sitting next to the suspect happened to be an off-duty deputy from another county, and he grabbed the gun out of Reeves' hand, and the suspect did not attempt to get away".

So we have a retired cop at the movie with an off duty cop as his witness, "arrested" by other cops and the crime scene and all evidence will be handled by.....other cops.

The extended family of the deceased will be lucky if they keep the shirts on their backs and out of prison when the police get done painting a picture of domestic terrorism thwarted by the retired "Father" of their SWAT club.
    Liberty is so strongly a part of human nature that it can be treated as a no-lose argument position.
    ~Citizen

From the cop’s perspective, the expression “law-abiding citizen” is a functional synonym for “Properly obedient slave".

"People are not born being "anti-cop" and believing we live in a police state. That is a result of experience."

Waiting for you know who to arrive and make accusations of bashing.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Waiting for you know who to arrive and make accusations of bashing.
    I keep cheese on hand to go with his whine.
    ~Citizen

Bond Denied

Reeves' attorney, Richard Escobar, argued that because Reeves has lived in the area for many years, has a wife and two children and a grandchild, worked in law enforcement and security, attends church and Bible study, and has ailments such as arthritis and bursitis, he should be given bond. The courtroom was filled with Reeves' former colleagues and family members who could speak to his client's "great character," Escobar said, adding that Reeves has "no propensity toward violence."

Rules for the theater
    Meanwhile, Cobb Theatres, which operates the Grove complex, released a statement: "This was an isolated altercation between two guests that escalated unexpectedly. The safety, security and comfort of our guests and team members are always our top priorities, and we are truly heartbroken by this incident."
    A list of prohibited items and behavior in their theaters are on the theater website. Among them: no cell phone use, including texting, in the theater auditorium. And no weapons allowed.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/14/justic...ater-shooting/
    ~Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Malarkey View Post
    And no weapons allowed
    Clearly an ineffective prohibition.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast