• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kelly Thomas trial: 'Not guilty' verdicts a blow to D.A.

SFCRetired

Sadly, I firmly believe that we are, and will be, seeing more and more of this type of situation. I just as firmly believe that neither the criminal nor the civil courts will bring about a change in the methods of far too many police officers.

Understand that I am not advocating breaking the law nor am I advocating violence against police officers. I want to see neither of these things.

What I am doing is predicting that, sooner or later, someone, or a group of someones, is going to react in a very negative way to a case like this one. It won't matter whether the cops involved were right or wrong; it will be the public perception of what they did. When it does, and it will, happen, it is going to be horrible.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
Sadly, I firmly believe that we are, and will be, seeing more and more of this type of situation. I just as firmly believe that neither the criminal nor the civil courts will bring about a change in the methods of far too many police officers.

Understand that I am not advocating breaking the law nor am I advocating violence against police officers. I want to see neither of these things.

What I am doing is predicting that, sooner or later, someone, or a group of someones, is going to react in a very negative way to a case like this one. It won't matter whether the cops involved were right or wrong; it will be the public perception of what they did. When it does, and it will, happen, it is going to be horrible.

I'm sure you're right that there will be more of these types of situations. I hope you're prediction is right regarding public reaction. I suspect that, even though there will be more of these types of situations, there will be a reduction in the number of police/government representatives prosecuted. I suspect our government will become more clandestine in it's activities, and most of the illegal activity engaged in by .gov employees will never see the light of day.

Again I hope you're right. And I hope I'm wrong . . .

Fuller Malarkey

"I've never seen something so bad happen to a human being, and have it done by on-duty police officers," Thomas said. "And they can walk away scot-free."

Laura Eimiller, a spokeswoman for the FBI's Los Angeles field office, said the agency opened a civil rights investigation into the case in 2011. Now that the state court trial has concluded, she said, "investigators will examine the evidence and testimony to determine if further investigation is warranted at the federal level."

Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas, who prosecuted the case himself, said the trial was fair.

After the jury returned the not guilty verdict -- after about eight hours of deliberation -- Rackauckas said he would not continue to pursue a case against Officer Joseph Wolfe, who was charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Hm. Was this representation of justice a token act by the prosecutor?

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...harges-20140114,0,2468508.story#axzz2qOYUVRIp

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just all part of the obamacare package ! Now this will lower all of our health care costs....

Really, I think if the guy did not have a mental illness the verdict would have been the other way around.

People still do not understand this illness and think that all with it are raving killers.

eye95

Buzzzz, wrong answer.

Kelly Thomas was white.

Anyone's civil rights can be violated by rogue officers acting under color of law. So the color of the victim does not prevent prosecution under civil rights laws.

BTW, I am not saying that is what happened in this case.

sudden valley gunner

I wonder if the video "that showed he was the primary aggressor " had anything to do with the jury finding them not guilty? Naahhhh they are all corrupt.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Let me watch this supposed video, that would allow the murder of someone who was an unarmed "primary aggressor" by state costumed agents who are supposed to be limited in their use of force.

Still waiting.

Primus

Still waiting.

? Ok. Sorry to hear that. Are you looking for assistance in acquiring said video?

You can try the LA times. If you check the article in the OP it explains they showed the jurors a video multiple times and there was separate audio. Perhaps you could request it from the court house?

Im sure there are others on here who can help you that are much better at getting documents/ video then I am.

Good luck. Keep us updated on how you make out.

WalkingWolf

? Ok. Sorry to hear that. Are you looking for assistance in acquiring said video?

You can try the LA times. If you check the article in the OP it explains they showed the jurors a video multiple times and there was separate audio. Perhaps you could request it from the court house?

Im sure there are others on here who can help you that are much better at getting documents/ video then I am.

Good luck. Keep us updated on how you make out.

Just one more of the many times Primus makes a claim and fails to support it with evidence. It leaves one to wonder how he ever gets a conviction in court.

Primus

Just one more of the many times Primus makes a claim and fails to support it with evidence. It leaves one to wonder how he ever gets a conviction in court.

? Read the OP... like third paragraph down. States they played a video multiple times for the jury. The defense used the video to attempt to portray the homeless man was the aggressor. That's from the article in the OP. Check it. Or don't.

No "claims" were made. Merely referenced the SAME article everyone else has been.

WalkingWolf

? Read the OP... like third paragraph down. States they played a video multiple times for the jury. The defense used the video to attempt to portray the homeless man was the aggressor. That's from the article in the OP. Check it. Or don't.

No "claims" were made. Merely referenced the SAME article everyone else has been.

I don't care, what I care about is YOU actually providing cites or videos in this case to back up your claim. The above is nothing more than chicken poop evasion. But we are used to it.

Primus

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...rdicts-20140113,0,5336980.story#axzz2qLILzXhF

“Now you see my fists? They’re getting ready to …. you up.”

Chris Dorner, where are you when we need you........

I don't care, what I care about is YOU actually providing cites or videos in this case to back up your claim. The above is nothing more than chicken poop evasion. But we are used to it.

There ya go. Click the link and read for yourself. There's me "cite".

WalkingWolf

There ya go. Click the link and read for yourself. There's me "cite".

HE wasn't asked to provide a cite! YOU were! Providing in another post is fine, but making excuses for not providing one is chicken poop!

Primus

HE wasn't asked to provide a cite! YOU were! Providing in another post is fine, but making excuses for not providing one is chicken poop!

Wtf are you talking about? Take a deep breath... drink a glass of oj..... then reread the thread.

I made a statement that there is a video somewhere that the jury saw.

I got this statement FROM the original posted article.

I explained that and have now cited where I read that statement.

WalkingWolf

Wtf are you talking about? Take a deep breath... drink a glass of oj..... then reread the thread.

I made a statement that there is a video somewhere that the jury saw.

I got this statement FROM the original posted article.

I explained that and have now cited where I read that statement.

Go pound sand! You made a claim, were asked to back up that claim, and then made excuses. It is not my problem if you cannot post coherently.