• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC, CHP, and GFSZA

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Oopsie, In my defense, when I said "without a CHP" I meant having issued one, not physically on one's body. While on the subject, are we not required to carry the permit when carrying a sidearm?

When carrying a sidearm openly.

Just to make certain that we are all saying the same thing (and please let me know if anyone's opinion differs):

If you are carrying a sidearm openly (and not also concealing a BUG at the same time), you do not need to carry your CHP. There are some of us who do not carry our CHP -- or a driver's license -- when openly carrying outside of our vehicle. It's called "going sterile," and it enables you to truthfully say "Sorry, I don't have any ID on me" if requested/demanded by a LEO.

Anytime you are carrying a concealed handgun, you must have your CHP in your possession and present it along with a government-issued photo ID upon demand of a LEO. If you are carrying concealed and do not have your CHP with you, you may be cited for 'concealed carry w/o a permit', but the charge will be resolved (dropped) in court when you present your CHP.

If you are carrying concealed and are stopped by a LEO, you do not have to volunteer the information that you are carrying, but if asked, you must answer truthfully. There are some that suggest you volunteer that information up front. Your choice.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just to make certain that we are all saying the same thing (and please let me know if anyone's opinion differs):

If you are carrying a sidearm openly (and not also concealing a BUG at the same time), you do not need to carry your CHP. There are some of us who do not carry our CHP -- or a driver's license -- when openly carrying outside of our vehicle. It's called "going sterile," and it enables you to truthfully say "Sorry, I don't have any ID on me" if requested/demanded by a LEO.

Anytime you are carrying a concealed handgun, you must have your CHP in your possession and present it along with a government-issued photo ID upon demand of a LEO. If you are carrying concealed and do not have your CHP with you, you may be cited for 'concealed carry w/o a permit', but the charge will be resolved (dropped) in court when you present your CHP.

If you are carrying concealed and are stopped by a LEO, you do not have to volunteer the information that you are carrying, but if asked, you must answer truthfully. There are some that suggest you volunteer that information up front. Your choice.

Correct!

BillB

Why should I answer that question? I can instead ask the officer if he walked to work or brought his lunch. Or, I could just say I don't care to chit chat with the officer. I'm only required by law to show him my permit, if asked.

Last edited:

TFred

Why should I answer that question? I can instead ask the officer if he walked to work or brought his lunch. Or, I could just say I don't care to chit chat with the officer. I'm only required by law to show him my permit, if asked.
You're in a really narrow slot here with this one. Technically, I don't believe you are required to answer the specific question, "Are you carrying a firearm?" However, the CHP code states that if you are carrying a concealed handgun, then you must display your permit upon demand.

I would suggest you are getting in real thick weeds here, where one or two words can make all the difference in whether you are breaking the law or not. Unless you have a lightning fast word-processing mind, it is probably safer to err on the side of caution if you are carrying concealed.

Of course, if the LEO were an intelligent fellow, he could simply demand to see your CHP. If you are not carrying, you are not required to show it to him. If you are carrying, then you are.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I like answering such demands with a question.

Do you think I am carrying concealed?

Once was asked if I had a permit for "that?"

My response was, Why?"

"Because you must have a permit to carry concealed."

"Excuse me officer, but you obviously see it and know what it is......will there be anything else? If not have a nice day." I left humming a happy tune.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Here's what I wrote:

If you are carrying concealed and are stopped by a LEO, you do not have to volunteer the information that you are carrying, but if asked, you must answer truthfully.

Here's your reply:

So, ok, let me rephrase my statement:

...but if asked, you must not lie. Does that make you feel better?

You may choose not to answer, or you may choose to evade the question, or to change the subject ... but what you may not do is to answer the question directly by saying "No, I am not carrying" if in fact you are.

Marco

YMMV.

I've have no issue carrying within 1000ft of a school, and no I don't have a VA permission slip.

Our BOS meeting are held at the county office (public property) which is across the from the middle school, never an issue even with the County Sheriff and VASP in attendance.
FFX/PWC never bothered me when I walked my kids to school when I lived in NoVA either.

Like someone already stated there are millions of folks violating this law daily, as it's impossible to comply with pubic and private schools are everywhere.

Guess I'll go worry about Global warming...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
YMMV.

I've have no issue carrying within 1000ft of a school, and no I don't have a VA permission slip.

Our BOS meeting are held at the county office (public property) which is across the from the middle school, never an issue even with the County Sheriff and VASP in attendance.
FFX/PWC never bothered me when I walked my kids to school when I lived in NoVA either.

Like someone already stated there are millions of folks violating this law daily, as it's impossible to comply with pubic and private schools are everywhere.

Guess I'll go worry about Global warming...

Yes sir.

Just imagine for a moment the schools you pass, and may not even be aware of, on your daily journeys in and around the area where you live. Schools are all over the place. If I were to go to Virginia Arms on my usual route, I would pass six schools of varying kinds all affected by the GFSZA. And those are the ones I know about right away. Pretty hard to avoid them.

This federal law is insane and badly needs to be repealed.