• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff's advice when OCer enters public building: Call the police

davidmcbeth

Banned
OK, this is something of a similar issue that I have run into when filing FOIA requests.

How are people supposed to understand what the boundaries are between acceptable and not acceptable under the law?

How? You test them exactly in the manner that the people currently are doing...creating knowledge and understanding under case law if the law is vague on the point.

This Sheriff just sees it as a hassle when it is a necessary aspect of the law.

I have performed many FOIA requests asking for slightly different records to see where the boundary between accessible and non-accessible records is...this has been met with the attitude similar to the Sheriff's..disdain. But it has not affected my requesting and continued requests as I have yet to determine this boundary line yet.

Last edited:

Raggs

Library in Ottawa county

Sitting in the public library in Hudsonville (Ottawa County Public building) open carrying. Listening to Aerosmith with another open carrier. No drama, yet!

Mosnar87

Sitting in the public library in Hudsonville (Ottawa County Public building) open carrying. Listening to Aerosmith with another open carrier. No drama, yet!

So you are rocking out... Are either of you by any chance carrying a Glock?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy IIIs using Tapatalk 2.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
No, amazingly neither I nor Raggs are suspicious enough to elicit any concern. I would have thought a Glock in a Serpa would have certainly called for a visit from the sheriff himself all decked out in tactifool accoutrement..lol (Yes, I accompanied Raggs). I do note they carry a few periodicals that are geared towards firearms, so I felt my time was well spent. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Ya think mebbe da Shire Reeve rethunked his advice?

I think the staff didn't follow the first step of the sheriff's plan...ie they would need to call in order for the sheriff to dispatch a deputy. In almost all of the times I've been open carrying in both Kent and Ottawa Counties for the past 6+ years, ALMOST no one has shown any concern. The behavior of fellow citizens is vastly different than what reading the comment section of the local newspaper or policies written by politicians would indicate. People, in general, really don't have a huge issue with it.

Raggs

I think the staff didn't follow the first step of the sheriff's plan...ie they would need to call in order for the sheriff to dispatch a deputy. In almost all of the times I've been open carrying in both Kent and Ottawa Counties for the past 6+ years, ALMOST no one has shown any concern. The behavior of fellow citizens is vastly different than what reading the comment section of the local newspaper or policies written by politicians would indicate. People, in general, really don't have a huge issue with it.

Next time I will call the cops on DrTodd

FreeInAZ

You should call on each other - give them very broad time frames - sometime between open & close. Very general description- male carrying books .... it will be interesting to see the resources, or lack there of the sheriff is willing to waste on law-abiding citizens..abiding by the laws.... :confused: Maybe the Sheriff can start his own posse and call the deputies "the opinion posse" charged to enforce opinions over law. :rolleyes: