• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the charge for lying to a police officer in Virginia?

conandan

Well, no one advocated being rude or disrespectful.
What was advocated was caution and self preservation. No reason to construe that as being impolite.

There is being difficult, and there is being non cooperative. Despite the police insistence, these are not the same.

I was not implying that anyone was being rude or disrespectful. Just how I approach the situation.

WalkingWolf

Besides not talking to police, do not joke with them. No way of telling which one has no sense of humor, and may consider it bashing.:rolleyes:

BillB

So where's the funny part?

Well, I think it's funny. But, I'll reserve its actual use for when a cop tries to go fishing with me and neither of us have a fishing pole.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
One could easily make themselves a suspect by being honest.

Then with federal officers a simple mistake could lead to a conviction of lying to a federal officers.

I was at such a place a 800pm well they found out it was actually 830 prove it was a mistake not a lie. Many people have went to prison for lying then the actual crime.

I guess I would ask on being stopped Am I a suspect for a crime if the answer is yes then It is I want to speak to an attorney before I answer any questions.

If the answer is no then it is am I free to go and if yes LEAVE, if no I want to speak to my attorney before I answer any questions.

As far as traffic citations even through I had good solid evidence of the violation. It was always nice to get the violator to admit quilt. Makes the case a lot stronger if they decide to contest the citation at a latter date.

I have made many arrests, then convicted them on their statements

Yep. Just google "Richard Jewell Georgia Olympics"

Fallschirjmäger

How is this one? Officer, your eyes look a little glazed. Have you been eating donuts?
Transcript of the Great Gary Pirkle Park Felony Trespassing case..
Gwinnett Police Department Officer Adam Garth Bell, "What’s your last name?"
Me, Fallschirmjäger, "Same as it shows on my Georgia Weapon’s License. I don’t have a pen, any of you guys have a pen for the gentleman?"
Bell, "I have a pen."
Fallschirmjäger, "You are prepared."
Bell, "I’m a professional… You live around here? Do you live around here? … In the immediate area?"
Fallschirmjäger, "You’ve got the cutest eyes."
Bell, "Thank you. Do you live around here? … in the immediate area? Yes? No? Maybe?"
Fallschirmjäger, "Yes, No and Maybe. I’m sorry, I’m still a little bit concerned; what portion of the Official Code of Georgia, Annotated, anywhere between 16-11-120 and 16-11-130, inclusive, am I in violation of? Just tell me whi … tell me I’m suspected of one of them at least."

During the deposition for the civil suit against Officer Bell, Gwinnett County Law Department, ‎Senior Assistant County Attorney Ms. Tuwanda Rush-Williams inquired if I was flirting with Officer Bell.
I told her I preferred girls, especially those with darker skin.

PistolPackingMomma

You sure about that no one was advocating being difficult or rude/disrespectful?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Yes. No one was advocating, encouraging, suggesting or indicating citizens should be disrespectful or difficult during a detainment.

The donut joke was suggested in response to "if you can make a cop laugh..."

But thanks for demonstrating those AWESOME detective skills of yours.

grylnsmn

See last bolded? That's what I'm saying. There are exceptions. Sure tranpsort without consent CAN be arrest, said that in caps like 5 times, but your saying it's ALWAYS an arrest. It's not, you even listed one of the exceptoins, consent. Is it a general rule? Sure. But there are mulitple exceptions and circumstances:

http://libcat.post.ca.gov/dbtw-wpd/documents/post/173621265.pdf

A reasonable, brief, on-scene investigation is all that the law authorizes
during a detention. Therefore, a person being detained may not be
transported or moved from the location of a stop unless:

(1) The suspect gives his or her permission to be moved
(2) The witness/victim is incapacitated or too injured to move (e.g. in a
"field show-up") <--------- this what I mentoined, a show up or bring back ID
(3) There is probable cause for arrest, or
(4) The conditions under which the detention was made were
inherently dangerous to the suspect or officer. Examples are:
(a) A suspect stopped for DUI on the freeway may be moved to
a side street for the administering of the field coordination
test
(b) An officer who detains a person in a bar where the crowd is
becoming hostile may move the suspect

Again... transport does NOT ALWAYS EQUAL arrest. Can it? Yes. But there are exceptions. So is it always? No.

WW this is an easy argument because your using words like ALWAYS. All I have to do is show 1 example of it being ok and there goes your premise. If you said it CAN be an arrest we would have agreed like 10 posts back. Instead you are stuck on the ALWAYS thing and won't let it go.

So be it, I've made my cites that show there are EXCEPTIONS. Eye knows what I'm going to do...
Point of order!

This is the Virginia forum, in a thread asking about Virginia law. Citations to California law are worse than useless here. Please cite something from Virginia law to support your assertions, or retract your assertion in the context of Virginia.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Might I point out that you're talking to a cop and doing exactly what he wants. Arguing with him!:lol:

We have lawyers here that have said time and time again to "KEEP YOUR BIG MOUTH SHUT".

We have cops (maybe) who say we're friendly if you only help us out.

It all boils down to who you feel the most believable and educated in the law.

Best thing to do is ignore the trolls either in person or on line.

Fuller Malarkey

Well, I think it's funny. But, I'll reserve its actual use for when a cop tries to go fishing with me and neither of us have a fishing pole.

Speaking of fishing.....that was a great job of luring out that bottom feeder and getting him to take hook, line and sinker! You picked the right stinky bait and jigged the line just right and WAMMO- he hit!

While I appreciate catch and release sportsmanship, please don't put invasive species back into the water. Coons, turtles and magots gotta eat too. Throw 'em up on the bank where they belong. Some should have a bounty on 'em.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Speaking of fishing.....that was a great job of luring out that bottom feeder and getting him to take hook, line and sinker! You picked the right stinky bait and jigged the line just right and WAMMO- he hit!

While I appreciate catch and release sportsmanship, please don't put invasive species back into the water. Coons, turtles and magots gotta eat too. Throw 'em up on the bank where they belong. Some should have a bounty on 'em.

Hey!! :cuss: What have you got against coons and turtles, feeding them something like that!?! :D

(Actually, that was a great post, FM!)

WalkingWolf

Might I point out that you're talking to a cop and doing exactly what he wants. Arguing with him!:lol:

We have lawyers here that have said time and time again to "KEEP YOUR BIG MOUTH SHUT".

We have cops (maybe) who say we're friendly if you only help us out.

It all boils down to who you feel the most believable and educated in the law.

Best thing to do is ignore the trolls either in person or on line.

Except on here is imaginary badge means diddly. I go back and forth with him because he may actually get some newbie to follow his advice. While shinning the light on cockroaches does not eradicate them, it is fun to watch them scurry into the woodwork.

So far on here he has only managed to fool one member. And that member is a born again statist.

thedevilrobyjohn

silence

Im an idiot and I watched cops all weekend. 90 percent of those trailer park bretheren told on themselves while the smug authoritie just amused themselves with criminal stupidity and a humans instinctual inability to keep its mouth shut. Myself especially. When they become your buddy in the middle of an arrest, questioning or investigation, you are screwed if not silent. You know when police who were co-workers and police who are family tell you to never speak to a cop....then you shouldnt. Its like a football team telling the other team what play they are going to run next. Human nature is our own worst enemy.
Have you ever lied and didnt really mean to, you got excited or scared or didnt want to sound stupid. We all lie all of the time in one way or another...keeping silent prevents even the most noble intentions from being trampled by human nature

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm thinking fair is fair. If cops are allowed so-called strategic deception during investigations, and citizens are penalized for trying to deceive a cop during investigation, then it would be fair to statutorily penalize a cop at least for lying to a citizen under color of law yet actually acting outside of his authority.

For example, during a suspicionless Terry Stop. Cop lies about this-or-that during an illegal Terry Stop, including Terry Stops that are later ruled/suppressed as based on inadequate suspicion--cop then goes to jail for a Class 1 misdemeanor, which in VA, if I recall, is up to one year in jail and/or up to a $2500 fine.

Maverick9

Fun thread.

OK, who wants to get into a car with a policeman and be kidnapped, driven to an isolated location and raped, taken to the outskirts of town and dropped off (Rambo), or be in a high speed collision, raise hand.

Nobody, Primus?

I suspect in this situation Mr P. would say 'I'm on the job' and avoid any of this, even though we know retired LE shoot people in theaters and active LE shoot Sassy Sunday School Sistahs, he's just doing it because he can and we can't.

I would suggest (I could be wrong) the following:

Sir, I do not consent to being kidnapped/transported in your car to another location,

(optional) because (I don't trust you, I know you can lie to people, cops have raped people)

...am I free to go?

If no, you're being detained.

...would you have your Sergeant brought to this location, please?

...may I call my lawyer and wait for him to arrive before we transport?

...am I required to assent to this/ answer that question?

...do you have RAS, do you have PC? (...are you lying to me?)

Wear a recorder, audio and video and with a back up audio.

Never resist. In fact say 'I will not resist, but I do not consent'.

Sound reasonable? After a while many LE will realize you're not a BG (which is usually obvious) and will say 'ok be on your way'.

What really bothers me about this transporting thing is that if you're black and young and the BG was black, the 'victim' is going to say 'that's him'. It's like a police line up with one person in the line up. It should not be legal. The victim should be required to say 'he had a facial tattoo of a koala bear', and THEN transport the tattooed guy for a P-ID.

My friend served on a jury where the skank ID'd a black person because SHE made up the crime so her BF wouldn't be mad she was in the wrong part of town buying contraband.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Fun thread.

OK, who wants to get into a car with a policeman and be kidnapped, driven to an isolated location and raped, taken to the outskirts of town and dropped off (Rambo), or be in a high speed collision, raise hand.

Nobody, Primus?

I suspect in this situation Mr P. would say 'I'm on the job' and avoid any of this, even though we know retired LE shoot people in theaters and active LE shoot Sassy Sunday School Sistahs, he's just doing it because he can and we can't.

I would suggest (I could be wrong) the following:

Sir, I do not consent to being kidnapped/transported in your car to another location,

(optional) because (I don't trust you, I know you can lie to people, cops have raped people)

...am I free to go?

If no, you're being detained.

...would you have your Sergeant brought to this location, please?

...may I call my lawyer and wait for him to arrive before we transport?

...am I required to assent to this/ answer that question?

...do you have RAS, do you have PC? (...are you lying to me?)

Wear a recorder, audio and video and with a back up audio.

Never resist. In fact say 'I will not resist, but I do not consent'.

Sound reasonable? After a while many LE will realize you're not a BG (which is usually obvious) and will say 'ok be on your way'.

What really bothers me about this transporting thing is that if you're black and young and the BG was black, the 'victim' is going to say 'that's him'. It's like a police line up with one person in the line up. It should not be legal. The victim should be required to say 'he had a facial tattoo of a koala bear', and THEN transport the tattooed guy for a P-ID.

My friend served on a jury where the skank ID'd a black person because SHE made up the crime so her BF wouldn't be mad she was in the wrong part of town buying contraband.

In fact many supposed field ID's by the police are not factual. Especially on site ID's by a scared victim. They are going to point the finger at whoever is put in front of them. I have never used an ID such as this, we were taught they are unreliable. If I had enough PC an arrest was made and then a proper line up for the icing on the cake.

Primus is advocating picking up people without RAS, then transporting them without PC, all in the hopes of some allusion of the TV show COPS. He did not even know that transport by case law equals arrest. EVERY cop knows that!

Primus

In fact many supposed field ID's by the police are not factual. Especially on site ID's by a scared victim. They are going to point the finger at whoever is put in front of them. I have never used an ID such as this, we were taught they are unreliable. If I had enough PC an arrest was made and then a proper line up for the icing on the cake.

Primus is advocating picking up people without RAS, then transporting them without PC, all in the hopes of some allusion of the TV show COPS. He did not even know that transport by case law equals arrest. EVERY cop knows that!

Now walking wolf.... I understand your tactic by now. You just post like 10000 posts of gibberish all while building strawmen the whole way and misrepresenting what others say then play as if youve "won" something.

I've NEVER said a word about snatching anyone without RAS or PC. I've already settled it and cited the sources that say you CAN do a bring back and that transport is NOT always arrest in every situation. Its been cited to death.

The fact that you assign a position to me that I never stated then bash it and me so frequently says more about you then it ever will about me.

I understand you have this personal animosity towards me for whatever reason but no need to expend so much time and resources trying desperately to make me look bad.

On a broader note.... what does it say about guys when they pat each other on the back for "baiting" others into a discussion? Clearly the intent isn't to actually discuss anything, either for or against an idea or procedure. The intent is merely to get someone to post and then attack said poster.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk