• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MD Cops harassing out-of-state gun owners...

cirrusly

Unarmed Florida Man Detained for 3 Hours on Highway Because: He Holds a Florida CCW

Apparently even being a subservient citizen and not exercising 2A in Maryland is not enough to keep you from being detained and harassed.

Family and businessman John Filippidis was pulled over by Maryland police on the interstate simply because the in-car police computer shows "He has a concealed carry permit." After being yelled at, cuffed, and put in a police cruiser for three hours him and his family were released.

http://tbo.com/list/columns-tjackson/jackson-gun-owner-unarmed-unwelcome-in-maryland-20140112/

We-the-People

One more reason we should be advocating UC, not just OC. UC is the right. Licensed carry is a privilege that allows the State to do crap like this.

The victim is thinking of giving up his CCW [sic], which the article calls "caving." If he intends to stop carrying, that's caving. If his intent is to continue to carry unlicensed, Bravo! However, a few State laws would get in the way, and he should work to change them.

Legal question: I see no RAS for the stop. How the hell can you develop PC if there never was RAS for the stop???

The RAS was "71 in a 55" and the officer gave a written warning. It's in the story but WAY down (6th para from bottom, last sentence).

Of course there is no way to prove or disprove this alleged violation but common sense would indicate that Joe Citizen is not going to do 71 in a 55 with a cop following him. The victim says they weren't speeding, the cop says they were and shows his self produced "documentation". As we all know cops don't lie on the stand, even it it's to cover their arse on a bogus stop that violated constitutional rights (cough, choke).

I think we are nearing the time that the people may soon start demanding incontrovertible proof of violations rather than taking the word of an officer. We have the technology, will we make the requirement?

eye95

The RAS was "71 in a 55" and the officer gave a written warning. It's in the story but WAY down (6th para from bottom, last sentence).

Of course there is no way to prove or disprove this alleged violation but common sense would indicate that Joe Citizen is not going to do 71 in a 55 with a cop following him. The victim says they weren't speeding, the cop says they were and shows his self produced "documentation". As we all know cops don't lie on the stand, even it it's to cover their arse on a bogus stop that violated constitutional rights (cough, choke).

I think we are nearing the time that the people may soon start demanding incontrovertible proof of violations rather than taking the word of an officer. We have the technology, will we make the requirement?

Time to start carrying GPS recorders in one's car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

We-the-People

Time to start carrying GPS recorders in one's car.

<o>

That could be a double edged sword but yes. We need to employ technology to protect ourselves.

I'm imagining a system that records GPS data as well as a dash cam and perhaps even a cam that shows the back of the vehicle (to avoid those "your turn signal isn't working" stops). Of course audio and video of the officer interaction would be nice. I guess it would have to include signage (in some jurisdictions) that "you are being recorded" until we get a definitive and accepted decision on audio recording of police.

eye95

The one time I used a GPS recording, it could have worked against me, but the officer lied, so it became an ace-in-the-hole. Anyway, the officer had no idea the thing even existed, let alone was running! I've told the story here before, so I won't relate it again unless someone asks to be bored by it.

<o>

Primus

The one time I used a GPS recording, it could have worked against me, but the officer lied, so it became an ace-in-the-hole. Anyway, the officer had no idea the thing even existed, let alone was running! I've told the story here before, so I won't relate it again unless someone asks to be bored by it.

<o>

I'm interested. Pm me if you don't want to muddle the thread. Is a gos recorded to record your location, route of travel?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

eye95

I'm interested. Pm me if you don't want to muddle the thread. Is a gos recorded to record your location, route of travel?

I was using a GPS to track my travel when I was working for the Census. I was driving to Selma, going through a construction zone. I was doing, IIRC, 60 in a 45. A cop pulled me over and accused me of doing 80 in a 65, or something like that. He was correct in that I was 15 over, but he had the wrong speed limit. It is the only time I have ever felt the need to argue with a LEO over a traffic stop. Every other time, they were right, and that was that.

Anyway, I just kept repeating that he was wrong, that I wasn't doing 80, and he kept saying that I was. I was confident that I had a GPS recording and not only could easily beat a ticket with the wrong speed written on it, but I could ruin that deputy's credibility forever if he wrote the ticket.

Luckily for him, he didn't. I still called his sergeant and warned him that, had the deputy written more than a warning, I'd've proved him a liar in court, ruining his ability to testify forever.

Cops need to be aware of how the Information Age affects their ability to run roughshod over the truth. Their integrity is more important now than ever.

<o>

Primus

I was using a GPS to track my travel when I was working for the Census. I was driving to Selma, going through a construction zone. I was doing, IIRC, 60 in a 45. A cop pulled me over and accused me of doing 80 in a 65, or something like that. He was correct in that I was 15 over, but he had the wrong speed limit. It is the only time I have ever felt the need to argue with a LEO over a traffic stop. Every other time, they were right, and that was that.

Anyway, I just kept repeating that he was wrong, that I wasn't doing 80, and he kept saying that I was. I was confident that I had a GPS recording and not only could easily beat a ticket with the wrong speed written on it, but I could ruin that deputy's credibility forever if he wrote the ticket.

Luckily for him, he didn't. I still called his sergeant and warned him that, had the deputy written more than a warning, I'd've proved him a liar in court, ruining his ability to testify forever.

Cops need to be aware of how the Information Age affects their ability to run roughshod over the truth. Their integrity is more important now than ever.

<o>

Well good for you to at least call his supervisor and call him out on it.

I had never hears a device but I agree a 100% integrity is more crucial then ever. With more and more tec advances its easy to turn even honest mistakes into malicious things. You need to more certain then ever when dealing with people that what you see hear and know is is really what you see hear and know.... not just what you think it is.

eye95

Well good for you to at least call his supervisor and call him out on it.

I had never hears a device but I agree a 100% integrity is more crucial then ever. With more and more tec advances its easy to turn even honest mistakes into malicious things. You need to more certain then ever when dealing with people that what you see hear and know is is really what you see hear and know.... not just what you think it is.

This was back in 2010 (Census) and devices have come a long way. That was a handheld Garmin, and stored a data-point every second, direction, speed, lat/long, elevation. The device would show where I stopped and when, and what I was doing immediately prior to the stop.

I don't know if cops have a radar that will list MPH over-the-limit, but that is the only way I can figure that he nailed the fact that I was 15 over, but got the limit and my speed so wrong. The limit he was claiming that I violated was the non-construction limit on the road. So, he may have been well-intentioned, saying I was doing 15 over, and making an assumption about the limit where he got me.

But, I don't care about intentions. Cops need to be 100% unfailingly right, or they need to leave us the **** alone. Once I insisted on his error, the cop should have checked on his numbers and either corrected them or backed off with an apology.

Ya know, there are other petty functionaries exerting authority over others who could learn a lesson from this. A certain one I know probably won't.

On edit: There are numerous GPS apps for my iPad that will record data-points and save a record of any trips. My exercise watch from Garmin does also.

Last edited:

Vanns40

Apparently even being a subservient citizen and not exercising 2A in Maryland is not enough to keep you from being detained and harassed.

Family and businessman John Filippidis was pulled over by Maryland police on the interstate simply because the in-car police computer shows "He has a concealed carry permit." After being yelled at, cuffed, and put in a police cruiser for three hours him and his family were released.

http://tbo.com/list/columns-tjackson/jackson-gun-owner-unarmed-unwelcome-in-maryland-
20140112/
[/QUOTE

That is one of the really nice things about having either a Utah resident or non-resident permit, unless you are law enforcement WITH a subpoena you do not get to know who has a Utah permit. They have one of the strictest privacy laws in the country.

Fallschirjmäger

That is one of the really nice things about having either a Utah resident or non-resident permit, unless you are law enforcement WITH a subpoena you do not get to know who has a Utah permit. They have one of the strictest privacy laws in the country.
One of the better things about the Georgia Weapons License as well. It's issued by the Probate Court; there's no centralized database; they're not open after 5PM or on weekends, and there's a Hundred and Fifty-Nine Probate Courts to make the inquiry of.