• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun-Hating Jim Moran retires ... can he possibly be replaced by a Pro-Gun Rep.?

Repeater

This is great news ....

Virginia’s Moran Announces Retirement From Congress
Senior appropriator and progressive stalwart James P. Moran will step down at the end of this year, making him the third House Democrat in just three days to announce his retirement.

“After 35 years as a public servant, as Mayor of Alexandria, and for the past 23 as a member of the House of Representatives, it’s time to close this chapter of my life and move on to the next challenge,” Moran said.

However, his gerrymandered district is full of Leftists:
Moran represents a strong Democratic district that encompasses the inner suburbs of Washington, D.C., including Alexandria and Arlington. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee will likely not have trouble holding the seat in 2014.

Is it humanly possible to elect in his place a strong pro-gun Representative?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think not probable, but at least the incoming representative will be a freshman Senator and likely won't have the same influence.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Repeater

I think not probable, but at least the incoming representative will be a freshman Senator and likely won't have the same influence.

From the WaPo:
Potential Democratic candidates for the seat, according to several party sources, include former Alexandria Mayor Kerry Donley, state Sen. Adam P. Ebbin (Alexandria), Alexandria Mayor William D. Euille, Arlington County Board Chairman Jay Fisette and Fairfax Board of Supervisors member Jeff C. McKay. The list also includes at least six delegates: Charniele Herring and Rob Krupicka of Alexandria, Patrick A. Hope and Alfonso H. Lopez of Arlington, and Mark D. Sickles and Scott Surovell of Fairfax.

God help us -- look at all the gun-haters who covet his seat. :(

On the Republican side, former congressional aide Micah Edmond said he was exploring a bid before Moran announced his decision.

Well, maybe he's okay, but will others announce, too?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I wonder if it would be helpful for Ebbin to win? That way, another State Senate seat is vacated ... leaving perhaps another opportunity for the RPV to get its act together.

Interesting thought -- we don't get the House seat, but we have the chance to gain control in the state Senate. Repeater, I suspect you are a good chess player...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I wonder if it would be helpful for Ebbin to win? That way, another State Senate seat is vacated ... leaving perhaps another opportunity for the RPV to get its act together.

You won't get a Republican in Ebbin's district either. ESPECIALLY not one like the Virginia Republicans have run in the state lately.

You *might* get a Democrat who's not rabidly anti-gun, but most freshmen Democrats do what their party says, and the Virginia Dem party is vehemently anti at this time.

va_tazdad

You won't get a Republican in Ebbin's district either. ESPECIALLY not one like the Virginia Republicans have run in the state lately.

You *might* get a Democrat who's not rabidly anti-gun, but most freshmen Democrats do what their party says, and the Virginia Dem party is vehemently anti at this time.

When have they EVER been otherwise?

The only time Tim Kaine was not anti-gun was when he hired plain clothed armed security for his political staff during his campaign for Senate.