Thread: Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill’s wife leaves her AR-15 in rental car

Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill’s wife leaves her AR-15 in rental car

"The wife of Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill returned a rental car in South Florida with her AR-15 rifle in the back seat, police said. [ ... ] Hours later, the car was rented to Judith Fleissig of New York, who discovered the $2,000 weapon a couple days later. “We got out of the car, we were kind of freaked out,” she told the newspaper. “I didn’t want to touch it. I took a picture, zipped it back up and went to the police station. They came out and took it.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-ar-15-renta/
    Last edited by Nightmare; 01-15-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Yep, the rental car company thoroughly cleaned the car before renting it again

AND all involved were so very aware (several days later) of what was around them/in the vehicle....Not.

Wonder if she will get her rifle back or face some obscure charge.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I love it when people "freak out" at the sight of an inanimate object. I wonder if they also worship at the feet of idols.

If you are not responsible enough to remember to take your firearm out of the car. Then you are not responsible enough to have it. That's just stupid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by conandan View Post
    If you are not responsible enough to remember to take your firearm out of the car. Then you are not responsible enough to have it. That's just stupid.
    Perhaps she wanted to make it a gift for the next renters ! Enjoy your new AR ... I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Perhaps she wanted to make it a gift for the next renters ! Enjoy your new AR ... I would have.
    Begging your pardon, are you saying that you'd commit the crime of Theft of Lost or Mislaid Property?
    I know you must be just pulling our collective legs.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 01-16-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Begging your pardon, are you saying that you'd commit the crime of Theft of Lost or Mislaid Property?
    I know you must be just pulling our collective legs.
    Yeah, I fussy about ARs ... likely would not want that model.

Likely did not have a compass in the stock.

Don't quite agree!

If this happened every now and then, I agree with you. But, we all make mistakes. Even though she forgot to remove her firearm from the car, that does not mean she is not responsible enough to have it.

Banned
    There is no requirement for someone to be smart to own a gun ... a firearm is just an object. Most folks that cannot own know that they cannot have it and should not take it.

Stupid? Sure. Criminal? No. Lets not make it so.

"lets see...I have my scope, my shooting gloves, my shooting glasses, my shooting earmuffs, my shooting ear plugs, my shooting skin cream, my shooting hat, my shooting shoes, my shooting ammo, my shooting brass catcher, my shooting scarf, my shooting face cream (its different), my shooting spotting scope, my shooting notebook, my shooting gun tool kit, my shooting video recorder (in case I want to tape my great shots), my paper targets, my shooting guidebook, my NRA tee-shirt, my shooting tape recorder, my shooting mirror (to put on my face cream properly), and my shooting all-purpose bag with a zillion other shooting products....so I am READY TO GO SHOOTING !"

20 minutes later ... "oh crap"
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-16-2014 at 10:18 AM.

There is no requirement for someone to be smart to own a gun ... a firearm is just an object. Most folks that cannot own know that they cannot have it and should not take it.

In some states mere possession would be criminal.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Lets be serious here. Are you stating it was a crime or that a crime occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Lets be serious here. Are you stating it was a crime or that a crime occurred?
    An AR? Lemme think... Maryland, California, Connecticut......
    Depending upon configuration, specific model, year produced/acquired... you could easily go to jail for having an AR.

Didn't you follow the link? She's blonde and cute.
    Questions answered. That was her rental car OC gun. Sounds like it was in a softsided camo case - probably zebra stripe with hot pink piping - blends into any background.

http://www.onlyindade.com/2012/06/lauren-tannehill/

Sorry - here's a post more in keeping with OCDO

http://nationalskirtday.com/2012/08/...ehill-photo-2/
    Last edited by HPmatt; 01-16-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

cute? blonde?

no criminality suspected. just a big misunderstanding.

"lets see...I have my scope, my shooting gloves, my shooting glasses, my shooting earmuffs, my shooting ear plugs, my shooting skin cream, my shooting hat, my shooting shoes, my shooting ammo, my shooting brass catcher, my shooting scarf, my shooting face cream (its different), my shooting spotting scope, my shooting notebook, my shooting gun tool kit, my shooting video recorder (in case I want to tape my great shots), my paper targets, my shooting guidebook, my NRA tee-shirt, my shooting tape recorder, my shooting mirror (to put on my face cream properly), and my shooting all-purpose bag with a zillion other shooting products....so I am READY TO GO SHOOTING !"

20 minutes later ... "oh crap"
    If not criminal its dam close.

What about the person who rented the car after. Not that there any smarter, not noticing a rifle in the car for a couple days. But what if they were stopped by officer friendly. And they ended up getting arrested for the weapon in the car.

I will say they have to share the blame for not checking the car before leaving in it. But a very real possibility depending on where they were.

It was drilled into my head at a young age about being responsible with firearms. And even if you say its an honest mistake, its a mistake that you should know better than to do.

Banned
    If it is criminal, it shouldn't be. It is simple negligence. If anything bad happens, she should be held civilly liable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

If not criminal its dam close.

What about the person who rented the car after. Not that there any smarter, not noticing a rifle in the car for a couple days. But what if they were stopped by officer friendly. And they ended up getting arrested for the weapon in the car.

I will say they have to share the blame for not checking the car before leaving in it. But a very real possibility depending on where they were.

It was drilled into my head at a young age about being responsible with firearms. And even if you say its an honest mistake, its a mistake that you should know better than to do.
    But what if they were stopped by officer friendly. And they ended up getting arrested for the weapon in the car.
    In the freedom loving, non-communist, State of Florida, it's perfectly legal to have a long gun anywhere in the car. Heck you can have it sitting in your lap if you want.
    Last edited by notalawyer; 01-18-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    In the freedom loving, non-communist, State of Florida, it's perfectly legal to have a long gun anywhere in the car. Heck you can have it sitting in your lap if you want.
    "somebody just left a $1000 bill in the back seat of my rental car" how nice of them.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    yeah, id let her shoot my AR! terrible grip on that pistol tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    ...terrible grip on that pistol tho.
    That was my first thought that was unrelated to blue jeans.

I'd give her free lessons.
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-21-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    "somebody just left a $1000 bill in the back seat of my rental car" how nice of them.
    Question is are you going to pay it for them

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That was my first thought that was unrelated to blue jeans.

I'd give her free lessons.

I too was mostly focused on the fine quality denim work of the blue jeans but did see the grip out of the corner of my eye. Sadly, i cant afford to give her lessons.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Even in commie CT, its OK (unloaded -- but bullets can be right next to it) ... why not?