Thread: OpticsPlanet... meh...

OpticsPlanet... meh...

What do you think of OpticsPlanet?

I ordered a holster from them a while back, and it arrived a couple days late. No big deal. I ordered night sights through their Amazon store nine days ago, and they still haven't arrived (today being the last day of their estimated delivery). When I contacted them asking them to track the package, all they did was give me a USPS tracking number (which I can't verify actually has anything to do with me) showing it had an estimated delivery of the 13th, arrived at the origin sort facility on the 10th, and hasn't been touched since. Now, a vendor of any quality whatsoever would have discovered this on their own and already taken action on it. I had to tell OpticsPlanet about this situation, and they have yet to respond. I looked at their feedback on Amazon, and it's 11% negative. That's atrocious, frankly. Complaints all focus around delivery, and their excuse usually ends up being, "It's really hard to resell other people's stuff." Well then what the hell good are you? For all I know, they let me buy something they didn't have in stock, and sent me a handy "it's the Post Office's fault" tracking number that they send everyone they sell out-of-stock items to. I should have just ordered from one of the dozen other places that sell the same night sights for a few bucks cheaper.

Anyway, what experiences have you had?

I've ordered quite a few things from Optics Planet, and if they didn't arrive on time, they were a day or two early.

I've only ever ordered straight from their website though, and I usually call to make sure what I'm looking at will function as I need as well as in stock.

My friend is in a dispute with them right now.

They ordered a man's shirt, with long sleeves. They got:

1) a short sleeved shirt in a L/S bag
    2) a woman's L/S shirt, right "size" designation but slightly small (since it was a Woman's). How know? The zipper was on the left.

Optics planet spokesperson told my friend how they were having their QC department investigate if things are in wrong bins, or if bags are stuffed incorrectly. That is HIS concern, how? Do we care if monkeys handle inventory? Nope, just get it right or fix it.

Optics planet thinks it's not a woman's shirt, just running small in that model. What about a left zipper isn't conclusively Woman's?

Finally OPlanet wants my friend to send it all back and they (might) send a replacement, and in the right size (perhaps) and right gender (maybe).

Or maybe OPlanet will just lose all the paperwork and send nothing after they get the wrong goods? Or maybe they'll send a transgender-partridge-in-a-pear-tree?

Amazon sends the right stuff first, no questions asked. My friend thinks that OpticsPlanet has some good deals but their spokespersons are not empowered, or just plain st00pid.

I told him go ahead and return the stuff if they agree to simultaneous shipping out teh correct, but to take the shirt to the range and put a couple bullet holes in it, first.

He can claim the monkeys in distribution need anger management training.

Hi all, Adam from OpticsPlanet here.

opencarry - I'm really sorry to hear you've had trouble getting your sights. That's not how we want to do business. If you pass on your order number, we'll get this sorted for you as soon as possible. If you're not comfortable giving me your order number in a PM, you can email marketing@opticsplanet.com with the subject line "ATTN: ADAM AT OPENCARRY FORUM" and it will get passed on to me.

b0nez - I'm always glad to see a happy customer!

Maverick9 - As with the OP, if you can get me in contact with your friend (or pass on their order number, if they are willing to provide it) I'll make sure this gets solved. It should be a pretty easy fix, and you can let your friend know that I'm sorry we didn't set it right immediately. Again, you can have them email us with the same info I provided to OP and I'll get it.

Thank you for the feedback everyone, and I apologize again for any frustration! I hope to hear from you all. -AdamC

Edit: I despise tapatalk...
    Last edited by ()pen(arry; 01-16-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OPAdamC View Post

opencarry - I'm really sorry to hear you've had trouble getting your sights. That's not how we want to do business. If you pass on your order number, we'll get this sorted for you as soon as possible. If you're not comfortable giving me your order number in a PM, you can email marketing@opticsplanet.com with the subject line "ATTN: ADAM AT OPENCARRY FORUM" and it will get passed on to me.

Maverick9 - As with the OP, if you can get me in contact with your friend (or pass on their order number, if they are willing to provide it) I'll make sure this gets solved. It should be a pretty easy fix, and you can let your friend know that I'm sorry we didn't set it right immediately. Again, you can have them email us with the same info I provided to OP and I'll get it.

Thank you for the feedback everyone, and I apologize again for any frustration! I hope to hear from you all. -AdamC
    You gotta like a company who's employees are members of an Open Carry group

I'd be sending every purchase their way if O.P. allows their employees to be armed!
    Last edited by MNMGoneShooting; 01-17-2014 at 07:01 AM.

I am an Amazon Prime member, and I still prefer to order directly from optics planet. That's the way to go.

I have ordered several times from Opticsplanet with good results. But as with anything, if it can go wrong it usually will.
    "To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by MNMGoneShooting View Post
    You gotta like a company who's employees are members of an Open Carry group

I'd be sending every purchase their way if O.P. allows their employees to be armed!
    He joined and posted once to deal with this specific thread - I'd hardly consider that "a company who's employees are members of an Open Carry group". Now, whether or not he or others are members under other names unbeknownst to us is hard to say, as is whether or not they allow their employees to be armed.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    He joined and posted once to deal with this specific thread - I'd hardly consider that "a company who's employees are members of an Open Carry group". Now, whether or not he or others are members under other names unbeknownst to us is hard to say, as is whether or not they allow their employees to be armed.
    More observant than I, obviously....

Quote Originally Posted by OPAdamC View Post

Does anyone else find this disconcerting? He joined OCDO explicitly for this purpose. How did he know there was a thread about a discontented customer? Is there someone at OP that scours the web looking? Does this seem weird to anyone else, or am I being paranoid?

When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by Running Wolf View Post
    Does anyone else find this disconcerting? He joined OCDO explicitly for this purpose. How did he know there was a thread about a discontented customer? Is there someone at OP that scours the web looking? Does this seem weird to anyone else, or am I being paranoid?

It's entirely possible that OP has a Google Alert set up with their name as the "trigger". Marketing gets the email, someone checks the thread and responds if needed.

After Adam made that post, I did communicate with him via email. The guy is a legit employee in the Marketing department of OP. He is not only professional, but approachable as well.

I don't know many large corporations that would bother to respond to a couple of customers over a fouled up order (that Customer Service could/should be able to deal with easily and quickly) on an internet forum, so, IMHO, I would cut the guy some slack for the time being.

Of course, YMMV.

Of course, he hasn't responded in the more than a day since I sent him my order number.
    Last edited by ()pen(arry; 01-17-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Wouldn't be the first time I thought someone actually was cool when they weren't (sigh)

Quick follow-up:

The supposed OpticsPlanet marketing guy who posted in this thread never responded to my private message. The package finally arrived, no thanks to OpticsPlanet. After I left negative feedback about OpticsPlanet on Amazon, they called me on my phone and offered to return 10% of the purchase price in exchange for taking down the negative rating. Offer me 10% back for the bad experience, and I'll commend you for trying to repair a broken customer relationship. However, I consider what they did to be bribery to falsify my report of my experience with them. I told them I thought it was a misuse of the feedback system and that potential buyers should know what I experienced.

I can't be bought. I can, however, buy from someone else, from now on.