• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do recent SCOTUS cases in videoing cops allow cameras in courtrooms now?

onus

Story about filming in a court room......

Today I went to court with a friend who routinely films police. (some posters think its me)

He has been arrested 5 times on CA pc148 charges while filming and so far 4 have been dismissed or fail to file.

Todays court appearance is for his last remaining charge.

I had filed the necessary papers 2 weeks ahead of time for permission to film the trial. I was denied.

When we entered court today there were 3 cases ahead of ours. We had just sat down and my friend noticed a police officer from a jurisdiction that he films a lot and has won two lawsuits against for illegal arrests.

About 10 seconds after we sit down, the police officer who is sitting 3 rows in front of us is talking to the bailiffs and he says loud enough for everyone to hear "that's Daniel saulmon, he makes his living suing police and being a parasite".

My friend tells him to shut up and mind his own business. The cop turns back to him and says "we are in a courtroom now and you cant film and put me on the internet so i'll say whatever I want to you. YOU shut up".

At that point my friend and the cop start to argue and exchange insults. Believe it or not, the bailiffs told the cop to be quite and respect the court !!!

There was a break in the court proceedings so everyone went outside in the hallway and the cop starts in again with my friend and they almost come to blows.

The whole time the cops kept ranting about how my friend is a wuss when he cant film people and too bad they are in a court room where he cant film.

The joke is going to be on the cop though because the courtroom has security cameras all over so we filed a public records request for them.

The government doesn't want you to know what goes on in their extortion chambers.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The Supreme Court has not ruled that eating a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich is a constitutional right either, what's your point, Onus?
The Supreme Court has refused to hear appeals from Circuit Courts rulings that filming/photographing the police was legal. That means they see no need to address the issue as the lower courts decisions were considered proper.

The U.S. Supreme Court has refused to review a federal appeals court decision finding it unconstitutional to enforce an Illinois state law that makes it a felony to videotape police officers working in public if a microphone is turned on.

Supreme Court rejects plea to ban taping of police in Illinois

The United States Supreme Court sided with a lower court decision protecting the rights of Americans when it comes to privacy under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

The Supreme Court has addressed the issue and they said, paraphrasing, "Get that :cuss: outta my face, homie, it's legal."
The Justice Dept. thinks you can video tape the cops......

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/documents/Sharp_ltr_5-14-12.pdf

eye95

Story about filming in a court room......

Today I went to court with a friend who routinely films police. (some posters think its me)

He has been arrested 5 times on CA pc148 charges while filming and so far 4 have been dismissed or fail to file.

Todays court appearance is for his last remaining charge.

I had filed the necessary papers 2 weeks ahead of time for permission to film the trial. I was denied.

When we entered court today there were 3 cases ahead of ours. We had just sat down and my friend noticed a police officer from a jurisdiction that he films a lot and has won two lawsuits against for illegal arrests.

About 10 seconds after we sit down, the police officer who is sitting 3 rows in front of us is talking to the bailiffs and he says loud enough for everyone to hear "that's Daniel saulmon, he makes his living suing police and being a parasite".

My friend tells him to shut up and mind his own business. The cop turns back to him and says "we are in a courtroom now and you cant film and put me on the internet so i'll say whatever I want to you. YOU shut up".

At that point my friend and the cop start to argue and exchange insults. Believe it or not, the bailiffs told the cop to be quite and respect the court !!!

There was a break in the court proceedings so everyone went outside in the hallway and the cop starts in again with my friend and they almost come to blows.

The whole time the cops kept ranting about how my friend is a wuss when he cant film people and too bad they are in a court room where he cant film.

The joke is going to be on the cop though because the courtroom has security cameras all over so we filed a public records request for them.

The government doesn't want you to know what goes on in their extortion chambers.

A story about two people being jerks.

eye95

Isolated incident 88,691.

The cop did not violate any rights by being a jerk. Not an "incident," good or bad, just a silly interaction between two jerks, neither of which was exercising power over the other.

BTW, you don't have to interact with a cop to have a jerk exercising power over you to his own advantage!

davidmcbeth

Banned
The cop did not violate any rights by being a jerk. Not an "incident," good or bad, just a silly interaction between two jerks, neither of which was exercising power over the other.

BTW, you don't have to interact with a cop to have a jerk exercising power over you to his own advantage!

I would have disagreed, with the "parasite" comment but apprarently not..
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...asite+defamation+"parasite"&hl=en&as_sdt=8006

Here, as in the above cited cases, certain of the words and phrases used by Toussaint to describe Greenky on her MySpace blog of December 1, 2006, and in particular that he is "a leech," "a sleazy male worm" "a showbiz reject" "a parasite" "a loose cannon" fall into this category and constitute constitutionally protected opinion regarding Greenky's performance of his duties as a manager. Likewise, certain words and phrases in the second posting on the MySpace blog on April 11, 2007, arc also not actionable since they are constitutionally protected statements of opinion. These include Toussaint's statements that Greenky is a "parasite manager" "patholical (sic)" "lazy" "unethical and sleazy."

I learned something new today.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

A story about two people being jerks.

Make that four.

Moving on.

Oooo...FIVE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

A day late,, and a dollar short...

Just another day on the forum with eye95.

Nothing on topic to add,,, just another opportunity to behave like an a$$!!!

I was recently told that I am not better that that,
I said, I know I am not better than that, but I am better than You!!!

Fake edit to add....
I showed up for jury duty,, they saw my spy pen,,, Kicked me out!!!

onus

The cop did not violate any rights by being a jerk.

eye, I am sure you are aware that people do NOT have freedom of speech inside a courtroom.

the police officer was inside the courtroom to get a warrant signed.

my friend was inside the courtroom for his criminal case.

there is no reason the police officer should have said anything to my friend. it was rude, unprofessional and ILLEGAL.

maybe you should read up on behavior inside courtrooms and the law regarding it.

eye95

eye, I am sure you are aware that people do NOT have freedom of speech inside a courtroom.

the police officer was inside the courtroom to get a warrant signed.

my friend was inside the courtroom for his criminal case.

there is no reason the police officer should have said anything to my friend. it was rude, unprofessional and ILLEGAL.

maybe you should read up on behavior inside courtrooms and the law regarding it.

And the cop behaved like a jerk to your friend. And your "friend" behaved like a jerk to the cop.

The cop did nothing illegal. Neither did your "friend." If the judge had determined their behavior to be in contempt, that would be different. He didn't. So both behaved legally, but like jerks.

Fuller Malarkey

.....and if one of them was a public servant using their badge as authority......to act like a jerk......

We are looking at an abuse of power. It's hard to find a citizen guilty of such, isn't it? Retaliation for "contempt of cop" falls into that "opinion enFORCEment" thing, which frequently is referred to as an "isolated incident".

eye95

The police officer was in uniform and in court to get a search warrant signed.

And, based on the narrative as you wrote it, the officer was not acting under color of law, so he was a private jerk, just like Saulmon was and is. Remember, since you insist that Saulmon is NOT you, I can say that without calling you a jerk!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

onus

And, based on the narrative as you wrote it, the officer was not acting under color of law, so he was a private jerk, just like Saulmon was and is. Remember, since you insist that Saulmon is NOT you, I can say that without calling you a jerk!

lol.

always good for a laugh

sudden valley gunner

Neither was acting in the role of a public servant. Both acted like jerks.

Saulmon is a jerk. Since he is not a poster here ;) , it is not a rules violation to say so!

<o>

.....and if one of them was a public servant using their badge as authority......to act like a jerk......

We are looking at an abuse of power. It's hard to find a citizen guilty of such, isn't it? Retaliation for "contempt of cop" falls into that "opinion enFORCEment" thing, which frequently is referred to as an "isolated incident".

My employees don't get to act like jerks to people who pay my bills while on the clock.