• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police lying to us

Old Virginia Joe

I was listening to the talk radio out of Norfolk, and heard someone (calling himself a local LEO) telling the radio listeners that here is how the police can get you to "consent" to a search:
He said, if they stop you, they will say, "I'm going to search you now, OK?" And HE said, if the citizen does not speak a refusal for that to happen, then you have just consented to a search, and the search may commence! Can anyone here verify if that is legally allowed? Is any minor variation on that basic theme allowed? I was shocked to hear this, and thought, "Wow, this is unethical in my book, but who knows what a court has decided about this." IANAL. but it seems wrong to me, and people ought to be aware of this. A polite "good guy" might easily be intimidated into a so-called consent this way, whereas a street-wise thug may holler hell NO!

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I was listening to the talk radio out of Norfolk, and heard someone (calling himself a local LEO) telling the radio listeners that here is how the police can get you to "consent" to a search:
He said, if they stop you, they will say, "I'm going to search you now, OK?" And HE said, if the citizen does not speak a refusal for that to happen, then you have just consented to a search, and the search may commence! Can anyone here verify if that is legally allowed? Is any minor variation on that basic theme allowed? I was shocked to hear this, and thought, "Wow, this is unethical in my book, but who knows what a court has decided about this." IANAL. but it seems wrong to me, and people ought to be aware of this. A polite "good guy" might easily be intimidated into a so-called consent this way, whereas a street-wise thug may holler hell NO!

The fact that he said, "I'm going to search you now, OK?" makes it a question.

A more accurate Re-phrasing of his question:

"Is it OK if I search you?"
"Do you consent to a search?"

In each case, your answer should be the same: "No. I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person, papers or property," said loudly enough to be heard by anyone else nearby and your video/audio recorder. You DO carry a recorder, don't you? One that can transmit the file to a website or cloud in real-time?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Silence does not infer consent. One does not give up their 4th Amend right by being silent or non-objecting.

While "I do not consent to any search, but will not resist." may be preferable, such is not manditory IMO.

Think anything "discovered" would be poisoned fruit.

Would a LEO have any reason to lie about lying? :lol:

CT Barfly

"do you have anything illegal (on you/in the car)?"

"no"

"do you mind if i take a look?"

the average person will not want to have the seemingly logical "inconsistency" of saying there's nothing illegal and refusing consent...even though legally it is entirely permissible for a citizen to say "no" and "no" to the two questions. Psychologically, people will want to say "no" and "yes" in a bid to convince the officer they have nothing to hide...the legal effect is of course granting consent.

Sure, it's tricky and ensnares the unwitting...but the law doesn't care about the uninformed.

Best bet is to say "i'm not answering any questions" in response to the first question...repeat for all follow-up questions until arrested or released.

Second-best bet is to say "no" and "no, i'd like to be on my way."

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Silence does not infer consent. One does not give up their 4th Amend right by being silent or non-objecting.

While "I do not consent to any search, but will not resist." may be preferable, such is not manditory IMO.

Think anything "discovered" would be poisoned fruit.

Would a LEO have any reason to lie about lying? :lol:

I'd be a little concerned about not answering, Grape. With the SCOTUS saying that the 5th Amendment right must be verbalized in order to be effective, it does not seem like a stretch that some judge would say that the LEO gave the citizen the chance to decline the search and he didn't say anything, so...

Even just saying "No!" should be enough to decline the 'consensual' search, but I prefer making the whole statement, removing all doubt that I'm declining.

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

The fact that he said, "I'm going to search you now, OK?" makes it a question.

A more accurate Re-phrasing of his question:

"Is it OK if I search you?"
"Do you consent to a search?"

In each case, your answer should be the same: "No. I do not consent to any searches or seizures of my person, papers or property," said loudly enough to be heard by anyone else nearby and your video/audio recorder. You DO carry a recorder, don't you? One that can transmit the file to a website or cloud in real-time?

The problem is that it is phrased in such a way that the 'OK' seems to me more of a 'Do you understand what I am telling you I am about to do?' rather than a question of permission. Done this way on purpose no doubt so as to intimidate the people's into 'consenting' by default when they aren't actually consenting but affirming that they understand (whilst thinking the cop is just being nice and telling them before hand about his actions thinking he is doing this under apparent authority and they have no choice in the matter)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Whether they ask "I'm going to search you now, okay?" or "Did you brush your teeth this morning?" the ONLY safe answer is, "I do not consent to searches, I will not answer any questions without my lawyer present, am I free to go?"

TFred

I'd be a little concerned about not answering, Grape. With the SCOTUS saying that the 5th Amendment right must be verbalized in order to be effective, it does not seem like a stretch that some judge would say that the LEO gave the citizen the chance to decline the search and he didn't say anything, so...

Even just saying "No!" should be enough to decline the 'consensual' search, but I prefer making the whole statement, removing all doubt that I'm declining.
I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but IMHO, that SCOTUS case was way over-hyped. The defendant was Chatty Charlie until one specific question came up, whereupon he stopped talking and started "looking guilty." SCOTUS ruled that the prosecutor could use an account of those observed facts during the trial in an attempt to persuade the jury that he knew something about the crime he was being questioned for. I didn't see that as much of a threat to the 5th Amendment, especially for anyone who knows what KYBMS means and does it.

TFred

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

I have read a number of case excerpts at FourthAmendment(dot)com that would strongly imply police have the burden to prove that consent for a search was given. Meaning, no assumptions. But, I have no idea which state appellate courts those came from.

How the law reads in VA, I don't know. We may need User to answer this for us.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

I prefer to soften it a bit. "No offense, officer. I know you're just doing your job, but I do not consent to any searches."

Even softer, "....I would not consent to any searches."

If a fella likes the terse approach, he could just say "refused" or "refusal". Refusal is cops' own word for when someone does not consent to a search. A cop's gonna have a real hard time explaining how he didn't understand what that meant.

(chuckle) I suppose a fella could twist things around a little bit, too. "I'm sorry, officer, but I am afraid humility compels me decline the honor of being searched by such a dedicated public servant as yourself. No, really. Its just too much; I don't deserve it. I simply cannot accept such a gracious gesture on you part. I must refuse." Just treat it as though being decorated with an unearned medal or some other high honor. I bet the cop stops dead in his tracks and takes a full thirty seconds to shift gears.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm not saying you are right or wrong, but IMHO, that SCOTUS case was way over-hyped. The defendant was Chatty Charlie until one specific question came up, whereupon he stopped talking and started "looking guilty." SCOTUS ruled that the prosecutor could use an account of those observed facts during the trial in an attempt to persuade the jury that he knew something about the crime he was being questioned for. I didn't see that as much of a threat to the 5th Amendment, especially for anyone who knows what KYBMS means and does it.

TFred

The problem is that its a step backwards. Exercising a right became something that could be used against a person.

During the terrifying years of the Star Chamber Court and the High Commission defendants who refused to answer were convicted pro confesso (as though they had confessed). One high church official literally articulated almost verbatim the words cops too often use, "If they are innocent, they have nothing to fear."

Those government bodies disfigured people (branding), cut off ears*, and slit nostrils.

Just to show how evil some of the judges were, one man sentenced to having his ears cut off was discovered to have already suffered that penalty previously. The judge noticed stumps--and had those cut off.

The right against self-incrimination was won at heavy, bloody price.

Dare we allow the government to backslide?

FreeInAZ

"do you have anything illegal (on you/in the car)?"

"no"

"do you mind if i take a look?"

the average person will not want to have the seemingly logical "inconsistency" of saying there's nothing illegal and refusing consent...even though legally it is entirely permissible for a citizen to say "no" and "no" to the two questions. Psychologically, people will want to say "no" and "yes" in a bid to convince the officer they have nothing to hide...the legal effect is of course granting consent.

Sure, it's tricky and ensnares the unwitting...but the law doesn't care about the uninformed.

Best bet is to say "i'm not answering any questions" in response to the first question...repeat for all follow-up questions until arrested or released.

Second-best bet is to say "no" and "no, i'd like to be on my way."

Maybe reply with : Do you have anything illegal on your person, in your car, at your station or your home? If you'll let me do a complete search of them then, afterwards, I will grant your request. I mean if he/she/they have nothing to hide why not? :D

Seems only fair.

TFred

The problem is that its a step backwards. Exercising a right became something that could be used against a person.

During the terrifying years of the Star Chamber Court and the High Commission defendants who refused to answer were convicted pro confesso (as though they had confessed). One high church official literally articulated almost verbatim the words cops too often use, "If they are innocent, they have nothing to fear."

Those government bodies disfigured people (branding), cut off ears*, and slit nostrils.

Just to show how evil some of the judges were, one man sentenced to having his ears cut off was discovered to have already suffered that penalty previously. The judge noticed stumps--and had those cut off.

The right against self-incrimination was won at heavy, bloody price.

Dare we allow the government to backslide?
Trust me, I'm a LONG way from there... but the guy didn't exercise his right, he was talking all night.

Imagine an interrogation that goes like this:

I'm too lazy for all the quotation marks...

Did you kill John? No. Did you kill Jane? No. Did you steal John's car? No. Did you steal Jane's car? No. Did you tell Joe where John kept the money hidden? ..... silence....

Do you really think that presenting that sequence of conversation to a jury violates the Fifth Amendment?

ETA: Remember, the Fifth Amendment protects us from compelled self-incrimination. ["nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself"] Doesn't say anything about keeping silent. This guy was not compelled to answer any questions, nor was he compelled to act differently when he got to the hard question.

TFred

Last edited:

va_tazdad

Fact # 1 Police lie.

I had a conversation with a former ABC Agent that is now an FBI agent that said he lies all the time while conducting "investigations" and sees nothing wrong with it. He claimed the only time he was required to tell the truth is under oath per "the courts".

Speaks volumes about the police and the courts!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Trust me, I'm a LONG way from there... but the guy didn't exercise his right, he was talking all night.

Imagine an interrogation that goes like this:

I'm too lazy for all the quotation marks...

Did you kill John? No. Did you kill Jane? No. Did you steal John's car? No. Did you steal Jane's car? No. Did you tell Joe where John kept the money hidden? ..... silence....

Do you really think that presenting that sequence of conversation to a jury violates the Fifth Amendment?

ETA: Remember, the Fifth Amendment protects us from compelled self-incrimination. ["nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself"] Doesn't say anything about keeping silent. This guy was not compelled to answer any questions, nor was he compelled to act differently when he got to the hard question.

TFred

Yes, he did exercise his right--he went silent. And, his exercise of a right--his silence--was used to incriminate him. In this case, because of the timing of when he went silent.

This is just a court-room version of what many of us already discussed years ago about street encounters with police. We already figured out years ago that it looks bad to the cop and would increase his suspicions if we silenced during a police encounter rather than right at the beginning. Same thing here, only in this case it became evidence in a courtroom.

Its just a matter of the timing, TFred. Do I really have to do all the imagining here? Today the silence about whether matching shotgun shells or whatever will be found at your house is evidence. Tomorrow, for sure and without any doubt, it will be mid-silence about anything will justify suspicion. And, hey, if mid-silence can be used as evidence, it obviously follows that mid-silence must also give probable cause for a search. Or, Oh! He was friendly until we asked his name. Then he went silent. He must have a warrant or restraining order. "Gimme your ID!"

Also, its curious how the cops set him up. They chatted innocently enough about this and that. But, he went silent the moment they made it clear they were investigating him rather than just investigating the crime. How about that as a technique? You think you're doing your civic duty helping a cop investigate something, maybe a missing child when its not even known whether the child wandered off or was kidnapped. And, then the cop starts getting a little personal, investigating you. You go silent, and later when the body is found in the woods, and you're the handiest suspect, and the kids fingerprints are found on your car from when his ball got stuck under your car, you find yourself in a huge heap of trouble even though you were fishing but can't prove it.

The way the police handled the defendant's questioning in the instant case is far, far too easy to ensnare a innocent person. Set him up with tame questions, then go for the meat and see whether he goes silent. They got him if he goes silent. They got him if he tells the truth but the police have evidence that contradicts him.

Exercising a right is exercising a right. This case was just another in a long, long series of government driving a wedge into a right.

One criminal who gets away only affects the people he comes into contact with. Government affects every single person in its jurisdiction. And, in the instant case, we don't know that this criminal would have gotten away with it without this police tactic or ruling. Meaning, the police might still have come up with enough evidence to convict if they had just done proper police work without playing games with our rights.

Fuller Malarkey

I had a conversation with a former ABC Agent that is now an FBI agent that said he lies all the time while conducting "investigations" and sees nothing wrong with it. He claimed the only time he was required to tell the truth is under oath per "the courts".

Speaks volumes about the police and the courts!

Wow. Sounds like he's proud of his developed skill.

Seems what you encountered isn't all that isolated:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/when-cops-lie/Content?oid=3693931

http://www.thenation.com/blog/163479/when-cops-lie-report-los-angeles#

Is it just me, or is it a bit over the top to expect me to believe "some additional training" will correct a tendency to lie, fabricate, manipulate and deceive?

If that works, why don't they just send those convicted of those crimes through the same training?

Jail overcrowding solved.

Google "Brady List" sometime. The Scarlet List of Liars in the industry. Some departments have entire "Liar's Squads", cops unable to testify due to their integrity being in the toilet.

ETA: This may shed some light on the need for new hires, someone not tarnished by the erosion of corruption that collects on some like metal to a magnet. They can be sent in for warrants, and I imagine it's easier to send in fresh faces to places like schools. Probably wouldn't do to have the Sgt that's under investigation for civil rights violations and corruption addressing a school civics class.

Last edited: