• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police lying to us

FBrinson

I had a conversation with a former ABC Agent that is now an FBI agent that said he lies all the time while conducting "investigations" and sees nothing wrong with it. He claimed the only time he was required to tell the truth is under oath per "the courts".

Speaks volumes about the police and the courts!

I believe that! About 10 years ago I was a store manager at a retail grocer on Broad Street in Richmond. I got a call from one of my managers saying that we had an ABC sting in the store and one of our cashiers sold alcohol to a minor. The ABC agent got on the phone and told me the manager at the store would not release the VCR tape to him (which was company policy to only release subpoenaed items). The agent told me I needed to give him permission to release the tape. When I told him 'no' he said he was going to come to my house and arrest me. When asked why, he said it was evidence in an ongoing criminal investigation and I was obstructing justice but he could just take it anyway. I asked him why he didn't just hang up the phone and take the tape if he could do that. I dont remember what his reply was. Long story, short. He did not take the tape and I did not get arrested :D
I called and complained to his supervisor the next day. The agent was promoted a couple of months later. I'm trying to remember his name... It was in Richmond around 2004 or 2005.

Last edited:

TFred

Yes, he did exercise his right--he went silent. And, his exercise of a right--his silence--was used to incriminate him. In this case, because of the timing of when he went silent.

This is just a court-room version of what many of us already discussed years ago about street encounters with police. We already figured out years ago that it looks bad to the cop and would increase his suspicions if we silenced during a police encounter rather than right at the beginning. Same thing here, only in this case it became evidence in a courtroom.

Its just a matter of the timing, TFred. Do I really have to do all the imagining here? Today the silence about whether matching shotgun shells or whatever will be found at your house is evidence. Tomorrow, for sure and without any doubt, it will be mid-silence about anything will justify suspicion. And, hey, if mid-silence can be used as evidence, it obviously follows that mid-silence must also give probable cause for a search. Or, Oh! He was friendly until we asked his name. Then he went silent. He must have a warrant or restraining order. "Gimme your ID!"

Also, its curious how the cops set him up. They chatted innocently enough about this and that. But, he went silent the moment they made it clear they were investigating him rather than just investigating the crime. How about that as a technique? You think you're doing your civic duty helping a cop investigate something, maybe a missing child when its not even known whether the child wandered off or was kidnapped. And, then the cop starts getting a little personal, investigating you. You go silent, and later when the body is found in the woods, and you're the handiest suspect, and the kids fingerprints are found on your car from when his ball got stuck under your car, you find yourself in a huge heap of trouble even though you were fishing but can't prove it.

The way the police handled the defendant's questioning in the instant case is far, far too easy to ensnare a innocent person. Set him up with tame questions, then go for the meat and see whether he goes silent. They got him if he goes silent. They got him if he tells the truth but the police have evidence that contradicts him.

Exercising a right is exercising a right. This case was just another in a long, long series of government driving a wedge into a right.

One criminal who gets away only affects the people he comes into contact with. Government affects every single person in its jurisdiction. And, in the instant case, we don't know that this criminal would have gotten away with it without this police tactic or ruling. Meaning, the police might still have come up with enough evidence to convict if they had just done proper police work without playing games with our rights.
We can agree it was slimy police work - unethical even. Many of these kinds of folks will have to one day answer to their maker.

I just can't reach the conclusion that the government compelled him to incriminate himself. He talked. He incriminated himself. How was he compelled?

TFred

Blk97F150

I have had an ON DUTY LEO tell me that ONLY CRIMINALS INVOKE THEIR RIGHTS going on to say that the INNOCENT DON'T!

Sadly thats the mindset that 'many' (cough!) LEO's have. That if you don't 'cooperate' with them (by invoking your rights), you're guilty of *something* and they just need to find a reason to charge you. :(

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
We can agree it was slimy police work - unethical even. Many of these kinds of folks will have to one day answer to their maker.

I just can't reach the conclusion that the government compelled him to incriminate himself. He talked. He incriminated himself. How was he compelled?

TFred

Now you're both changing the subject and creating a strawman.

Don't change the subject. We weren't talking about whether he was compelled to incriminate himself. We were talking about whether his silence was used against him.

Don't create a strawman. I absolutely did not say the government compelled him to incriminate himself.

Plain and simple, government lawyers (judges) played fast and loose with a right by allowing the exercise of that right to be used against a person. And, they used sophistries to justify it.

Repeater

I've kept quiet until now. So let me write this.

I've long relied on this case: Jean-Laurent v. Commonwealth, 34 Va. App. 74, 538 S.E.2d 316 (2000) as helpful authority. So have our Appellate Courts.

The most recent example is:

Commonwealth of Virginia v. William Wade Henderson, III 02/05/2013

Key excerpt here:
“Police officers act in full accord with the law when they ask citizens for consent. It reinforces the rule of law for the citizen to advise the police of his or her wishes and for the police to act in reliance on that understanding.” United States v. Drayton, 536 U.S. 194, 207 (2002). It is the prosecutor’s burden to prove that consent was freely and voluntarily given. Schneckloth, 412 U.S. at 222. Whether or not consent to a search was voluntarily given “is a question of fact to be determined from the totality of all the circumstances.” Id. at 227.

“Consent to a search must be unequivocal, specific and intelligently given and it is not lightly to be inferred.” Although the consent need not be oral, mere acquiescence is not enough. Additionally, the Commonwealth bears the burden of proving that consent was in fact given, and “that burden is heavier where the alleged consent is based on an implication.”

Lawrence v. Commonwealth, 40 Va. App. 95, 102, 578 S.E.2d 54, 58 (2003) (quoting Jean-Laurent v. Commonwealth, 34 Va. App. 74, 78-79, 538 S.E.2d 316, 318 (2000)). The burden is “‘upon the officer to obtain consent, not on [Henderson] to affirmatively deny consent.’” Id. at 103, 578 S.E.2d at 58 (quoting Jean-Laurent, 34 Va. App. at 80, 538 S.E.2d at 319). The law requires an unequivocal and specific consent to search; an ambiguous response to a request to search is not sufficient. See Jean-Laurent, 34 Va. App. at 80, 538 S.E.2d at 319. Further, an officer’s warrantless search prior to requesting consent implies that the person asked has no choice in whether or not the officer searches. See Walls v. Commonwealth, 2 Va. App. 639, 646, 347 S.E.2d 175, 179 (1986).

Thus, the burden is "‘upon the officer to obtain consent, not on [the detainee] to affirmatively deny consent."

JoeSparky

Centurion
I like that Repeater...

Or said this way----

LEO verbally states to a deaf person "I am going to search... UNLESS you tell me "no"". This officer has NOT EVEN effectively communicated ANYTHING much less an intent to perform a search of ANYTHING to the deaf person, not an acquiescence to a search, much less an affirmative "consent" to same.

Repeater

If LEO has your DL, you are NOT free to leave

This is also the case law in Virginia. See what happened in Ohio:

Asking for consent while holding a motorist's DL means he's not “free to go”
In this case, I find as a matter of fact that the officers had completed all activities incident to the stop, except serving the citation and returning the license, by the time they returned to the defendant's vehicle. Had they given those items to the defendant at that point, there would be no basis for challenging what happened next.

But Officer Reinhart did not give the defendant the license and citation. He was still holding them when he asked if the officers could search the vehicle. At that point, the officer had abandoned the prosecution of the traffic stop and embarked on a new course of investigation. Under United States v. Everett, 601 F.3d 484, 495 (6th Cir. 2010), this "bespeak a lack of diligence" and, under the totality of circumstances, transformed an ordinary traffic stop into an unreasonable seizure.

The dispositive issues are: 1) did the ensuing questions occur during a period, albeit brief, of unlawful detention, and, if so, whether such detention tainted the defendant's consent, even if deemed voluntary; and, 2) alternatively, was the totality of the circumstances such as to create coercive pressures rendering his consent involuntary.

Because Officer Reinhart had his license and the ticket, the defendant was not free to leave, and thereby make clear he did not want to continue talking with the officer. No reasonable driver would leave following a traffic stop unless the officer, in effect, has given him leave to do so by giving back his driver's license and either a ticket or a written or verbal warning.

The tainting effect of keeping the defendant in place by holding onto the license and ticket directly led to Officer Picking's observation of the bulge and seizure of the firearm. While unable to leave, the defendant agreed to Officer Reinhart's request to search. This, in turn, led directly to the officer's instruction, albeit itself otherwise sensible and lawful, to the defendant to get out of the car. The defendant having complied, as he had to, Officer Picking saw the bulge and reached for and took the gun. Thus the taint of not being free to leave when the law allowed the defendant to do so extends to seizure of the weapon. See United States v. Culp, 860 F. Supp. 2d 459, 466-68 (W.D. Mich. 2012) (granting motion to suppress evidence because officer unlawfully prolonged traffic stop which directly led to seizure of contraband).

This is important. The driver remained in the car until the LEO asked for consent to search the vehicle. Then the LEO asked the driver to exit the vehicle. At that point, the concealed weapon became obvious to the trained officer (the "bulge"). The entire time, the LEO had possession of the DL.

Therefore, "consent" was not voluntary. The search and seizure were illegal.