• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virus on OCDO?

Old Virginia Joe

For the last several months (back before the 2013 elections), I have been unable to participate in the OCDO forums. I can look at it, and log in as myself, but cannot enter any input. I wondered if I had been blocked, so, through an OCDO friend, I made contact with the website, and found out I was not blocked, but that my computer may have a virus, blocking my participation. I was advised to try another computer, and see if my log-in would be successful there. I am now here at the public library, successfully entering my comments here, so indeed, I must have a virus at home. When I get home to my own computer I will again be incommunicado at OCDO. Has anyone else had such an experience, and what can I do to get my unit straightened out? I am only fundamentally competent with computers, not a geek at all. Is this going to cost me money to get fixed? Everything else on my pc works fine, so I may just quit using OCDO. At the time it happened, I saw comments on Virginia Forum talking about a lack of activity on ocdo, and wondered why couldn't someone hack our 2A websites, and handicap our ability to communicate and protect our 2A? Isn't that possible? Is anyone doing anything to protect us from that? Imagine the disaster that would be if those most active FOR the 2A were blocked from communicating this way! I appreciate any advice. I will be able to read your responses when I get home, but not be able to respond. So-long! Thanks, Dennis!

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
For the last several months (back before the 2013 elections), I have been unable to participate in the OCDO forums. I can look at it, and log in as myself, but cannot enter any input. I wondered if I had been blocked, so, through an OCDO friend, I made contact with the website, and found out I was not blocked, but that my computer may have a virus, blocking my participation. I was advised to try another computer, and see if my log-in would be successful there. I am now here at the public library, successfully entering my comments here, so indeed, I must have a virus at home. When I get home to my own computer I will again be incommunicado at OCDO. Has anyone else had such an experience, and what can I do to get my unit straightened out? I am only fundamentally competent with computers, not a geek at all. Is this going to cost me money to get fixed? Everything else on my pc works fine, so I may just quit using OCDO. At the time it happened, I saw comments on Virginia Forum talking about a lack of activity on ocdo, and wondered why couldn't someone hack our 2A websites, and handicap our ability to communicate and protect our 2A? Isn't that possible? Is anyone doing anything to protect us from that? Imagine the disaster that would be if those most active FOR the 2A were blocked from communicating this way! I appreciate any advice. I will be able to read your responses when I get home, but not be able to respond. So-long! Thanks, Dennis!

There are a number of virus-checking software packages available that can run on your computer to identify infections and then fix your computer. I use Malaware Bytes (see: http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?gclid=CKbI_p2pg7wCFUjxOgodhSEA_w) . You can download a free version to try on your computer and, if you like what it does, pay for an upgraded version. I'm still running the free version and it seems to work well for me.

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

I'm no 'puter geek by any means, however, I do pick up viruses here and there, and I use this to detect them:

http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/

Just takes a few seconds. I think if you click on that link once you get back to your own computer, it should pick up any virus you might have. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and seems to be as effective as the paid for subscriptions I use on some computers.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

Hope that helps you get back into active posting.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I pick up viruses Joe but have no idea where they come from.

I think you were blocked because you fussed so much:banana::lol::monkey:rolleyes:
Just kidding!

solus

what operating system are you using against what browser. sometimes there is compatibility issues even with 8 and chrome...

your home browser might have something 'ticked' which could preclude cookies or some other security box checked or security level invoked which precludes you from successfully accessing this and perhaps other interactive sites.

it might be as simple as you have your browser set to never reload the website whenever you ping someplace.

another thought...is your hard drive almost full and have you defragged the hard drive lately or cleaned the drive from extraneous bs and then defrag.

malware is an excellent pgm with free versions...another suggestion is search cnet.com for free antivirus and dl one of those...you put up with the ads but eh, they do the job quite well.

pm if you require clarification

ipse

Old Virginia Joe

I pick up viruses Joe but have no idea where they come from.

I think you were blocked because you fussed so much:banana::lol::monkey:rolleyes:
Just kidding!

Actually, I have been out of touch here so long, I dropped a tear on my keyboard when I saw your cute little squirrel avatar on your response, at the thought of just how many photo avatar changes I have missed of yours since october 2013.

Surprised you didn't comment on the political vulnerability of us 2A guys to hackers to do to everyone what has happened to me . . . . . and render us castrated at critical election and General Assembly times . . . . Is that not a legit concern of ours?

Vtloki

Combo fix

As a person who repairs computers a few times a month, I alway do the same thing.
Download combo fix and run it. It does a scan and always removes even the most peskiest virus/malware. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Then, if there isn't any antivirus, I put Microsoft security essentials. Free and works well.