• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Vail & Beaver Creek - local issues?

HPmatt

Going t/b skiing with friends this year in Vail, Beaver Creek and Eagle area next month. I know the locals in Vail lean left, so are there any issues t/b aware of? Also looks to me like my Texas CHL has reciprocity in CO.

Anyone know of any good gun ranges in the area as well? As you progress in life, skiing is fun, but your interests broaden and don't want to miss anything great around the corner - like snowmobiling at Yellowstone when you ski Big Sky....

Attachments

• Yellow023.jpg
    Yellow023.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 98

mobiushky

OC is legal in all parts of the state except city/county of Denver. Signs have no force of law, but if asked best to leave rather than be trespassed. Generally you won't be bothered, though you may get some stink-eyes. If a LEO stops you, just politely remind them that OC is legal and no permit is required. As for CC, if you're permit is recognized, you're fine. Just know the standard no gun places.

As for shooting, once you hit national forest, you're in a wide open shooting range. If you're ok with that kind of thing. Generally stay 100yds away from campsites, roads, lakes, and streams and you're good. Know your backstop and what's behind.

Official ranges? There aren't many. Mostly sporting clays stuff up in the touristy areas. There is a range in Idaho Springs, but I don't know the specifics. You'll be sort of close to the Leadville gun club, but you may have to be a member there.

Not real helpful, but it's becoming more difficult in CO to find a range that is worth the trip. Most locals who don't mind the drive just find a place in the hills and plink away. Well, that's what I did when I lived there.

Keens

OC is legal in all parts of the state except city/county of Denver. Signs have no force of law, but if asked best to leave rather than be trespassed. Generally you won't be bothered, though you may get some stink-eyes. If a LEO stops you, just politely remind them that OC is legal and no permit is required. As for CC, if you're permit is recognized, you're fine. Just know the standard no gun places.

As for shooting, once you hit national forest, you're in a wide open shooting range. If you're ok with that kind of thing. Generally stay 100yds away from campsites, roads, lakes, and streams and you're good. Know your backstop and what's behind.

Official ranges? There aren't many. Mostly sporting clays stuff up in the touristy areas. There is a range in Idaho Springs, but I don't know the specifics. You'll be sort of close to the Leadville gun club, but you may have to be a member there.

Not real helpful, but it's becoming more difficult in CO to find a range that is worth the trip. Most locals who don't mind the drive just find a place in the hills and plink away. Well, that's what I did when I lived there.

Actually, it is 150 yards from road, trail, campsite, building, etc. Basically, hike 150 yards off the beaten path. Do not shoot across a body of water, a lake, river, stream. And yes, use common sense like a safe backstop and pick up your spent casings. Too many shooters trash the forest which leads to shutdowns for target shooting, so be mindful.

JamesB

Actually, it is 150 yards from road, trail, campsite, building, etc. Basically, hike 150 yards off the beaten path. Do not shoot across a body of water, a lake, river, stream. And yes, use common sense like a safe backstop and pick up your spent casings. Too many shooters trash the forest which leads to shutdowns for target shooting, so be mindful.

I remember it being 150 ft. not yards.
Damn, now I gotta go look it up.

Brass

I live in Avon, right below Beaver Creek, and am active in gun rights in the area, here's what I got.

I open carry in Avon a lot during the Summer and have had no problems at banks, restaurants, WalMart, etc. In the Winter, with a lot of foreign guests, it's usually concealed as I don't know how many of them would go looking for a cop. I've never OCed in Vail, but from what I know of the cops there you will probably be contacted. There are k-12 schools in both Avon and Vail so be aware of their locations. There is no OC in Beaver Creek as it is a private gated community and that is their rules, concealed you are okay but if they do see it they may ask you to leave. You are not allowed to have any kind of pistol, rifle, OC, or concealed on the lifts, it's a federal law, something about transporting firearms.

As for places to shoot around here, there is a private range down in Gypsum, I'm not sure of the rules as they just went to new management fairly recently. There is an unimproved range in Minturn, but it is closed during the Winter. Or, what I do, just find some BLM land that doesn't have to much snow on it.

We have a gun store down in Eagle, Alpine Arms, you may want to contact them about the Gypsum range.

http://www.alpinearms.com/

Hope this helps.

JG_Buffalo

The only thing I can find regarding ski lifts is a ban on transporting explosives. Ski patrol probably gets special permission all the time for avalanche control. I believe firearms should be a legal go ahead, most resorts seem to project a "family friendly" atmosphere so they likely discourage OC, it might be worth calling them ahead of time.

Logan 5

Back when I lived out there I used to go to Avon a lot and hit up either the Wal Mart or Denny's. I hear Denny's has since shut down.
I remember eating there one night and getting frisked INSIDE Denny's because Barack's wife was in Vail skiing. They watched everyone when she was there.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Never had a problem OCing in Vail. Did it twice, about two years apart, off-season, all over town. Only one contact by cop, which ended before it began when I waived, smiled, and went back to talking to the owner of an antiques store.