• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Residency??

6L6GC

A friend of mine has a house in Virginia and works in Virginia. He gets VA Power bills, water bills, utility bills, etc. in Virginia but he also has a house in North Carolina. He has a North Carolina driver's license but no "official" VA identification.

So..... is it legal for him to buy a hand gun in Virginia? I am not sure just what the legal requirements are. If he gets an official VA identification of some sort would he be able to legally purchase a hand gun in Virginia? Would he need a pictured Virginia ID?

I don't want to give him bad information. Can any one enlighten me?

Many thanks in advance,
roN

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A friend of mine has a house in Virginia and works in Virginia. He gets VA Power bills, water bills, utility bills, etc. in Virginia but he also has a house in North Carolina. He has a North Carolina driver's license but no "official" VA identification.

So..... is it legal for him to buy a hand gun in Virginia? I am not sure just what the legal requirements are. If he gets an official VA identification of some sort would he be able to legally purchase a hand gun in Virginia? Would he need a pictured Virginia ID?

I don't want to give him bad information. Can any one enlighten me?

Many thanks in advance,
roN

According to Dan Hawes, there is no minimum time involved so if you've been living here for a couple of days, you're a legal resident. If you decide to move the next day it makes no difference.

This is one of those instances where I recommend you email him directly. Any advice you get on the internet should be followed up on.

Last edited:

TFred

Ha, he can probably buy a gun OK, but he better get a VA DL pretty soon, the DMV website says you only have 60 days. Unless you have an exemption of course. :)

http://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/new-to-virginia.php#New-Residents

TFred

ETA: Of course, if the response to that is, "but he lives at his house in North Carolina".... then maybe he can't buy the gun after all?

Last edited:

eye95

Your residence for the purposes of buying a gun is where you are staying for the purpose of making A home. I have two houses. I usually live in Ohio. Sometimes I stay in my Alabama home. When I am staying in Ohio, I can legally buy a handgun in Ohio. When I am staying in Alabama, I can legally buy a handgun in Alabama.

The problem is that you have to demonstrate that residence to the FFL. You are required to show a government ID (or a combination of government IDs) that establishes four things: Your name, your picture, your date of birth, and your residence address in that State.

In an ironic twist, in Ohio, it takes very little to prove one's address to get a fishing or hunting license. Then that license is good enough with a military ID to get a handgun. Dumb laws, but that is the way it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

JohnM15A

I suspect that each state is different. I live in VA and have a place in OR. I asked a gun store if I could buy a firearm in OR and they said I needed some kind of OR ID. Since I have property in OR I was able to get an OR CHL so I can now purchase a firearm in OR.

BTW Is your handle, "6L6GC" have any relation to a vacuum tube?

eye95

While a State may make the residency requirements stiffer (I know of none that does), the federal law contains the basic residency requirements and defines residency. See my above post for details.

I have to make decisions on residency several times a day. I have a thorough familiarity with the federal law on the matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>