• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vehicle holster?

R027

I was thinking of mounting one within arms reach on the center console, is this legal? Or would I run into trouble if I was pulled over and the officer saw it?

Primus

I was thinking of mounting one within arms reach on the center console, is this legal? Or would I run into trouble if I was pulled over and the officer saw it?

They even make holsters for under the steering column so its pointed down on a safe angle right under the steering wheel. Depending on the make and model its a good way to go. It allows quick access to handgun if needed.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Fallschirjmäger

On my old car, I had a polymer holster mounted with a few standoffs to the transmission tunnel. With the tinted windows and the black upholstery you'd hardly notice it. I thought about a quick-detach mount (like one of the ones from Blackhawk) on the new car, but it has enough room where I'm not crowded.

Primus

A Fobus attached to the steering column by velcro.

How well does the velcro hold up? Only reason I ask in because if car accidents. I can imagine a 6 lb loaded 1911 (just kidding) getting tossed around the passenger compartment. I'd want some screws or glue or something holding it down

Fallschirjmäger

It depends on the Velcro... if you can find industrial strength or the stuff they use to put cars together it can pull up paint before the Velcro releases if you're not careful.

Maverick9

They even make holsters for under the steering column so its pointed down on a safe angle right under the steering wheel. Depending on the make and model its a good way to go. It allows quick access to handgun if needed.

Very bad idea. For one thing when drawing you hit the back of your hand. In a hurry that's a sure way to disarm yourself.

Just tuck it under your left leg, or throw it up on the dash, gangsta-style. It might slide around when cornering, but hey you're developing essential reflexes and cornering skills.

WalkingWolf

How well does the velcro hold up? Only reason I ask in because if car accidents. I can imagine a 6 lb loaded 1911 (just kidding) getting tossed around the passenger compartment. I'd want some screws or glue or something holding it down

:lol::lol::lol: Now that is funny I don't care who you are...:lol::lol::lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hang it with a string from the rear view mirror.

:lol::lol:

I have one of those cheap ...One size fits all....Leg holsters on a strap I hang over the headrest on the passenger seat. otherwise, I just put the gun on the seat. I'm not real concerned about the flying gun theory.

OC for ME

That would be dicey.

What if the string broke?

What if the gun "went off" -- then you would have an Accidental Discharge or whatever the TV media would call it. ;)
The string would not break if it was made in the USA, in a union shop. My next door neighbor, a union guy, tells me so every day when I pitch a fit over cheap Chinese crap breaking.

Besides, the thread title needs to be tweaked just a smidge.....vehicle holster? How small is your vehicle if it fits in a holster.
rimshot.gif