• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Total Wine and Liquors in Littleton is not gun friendly.

Mike6453

Before anyone says anything I am well aware it is illegal to oc/cc under the influence and would never do that. With that being said it is perfectly legal to oc/cc in a bar/liquor store in colorado barring there are no signs at all the entrances or any other things that make it illegal. e.g. Metal detectors, armed guards, so on and so forth.

So my girlfriend and I entered the liquor store which is located off of Broadway and Ridge Road. Proceeded to look for what we wanted, during which 2-3 employees walked by every couple minutes. About 10min after being there one employee came up to me and said that if I dont have a badge that I can show him that I need to cover the pistol while in the store. I let him know that I do not have a ccw permit at the moment so I was unable to do that. He then said that I can not open carry here(I assumed he meant the store) and if I could take the pistol out to the car. I told him that was no problem but informed him that it is legal to open carry in Colorado. He then proceeded to tell me that I was incorrect and it is illegal to open carry in Littleton(turns out when he said here he meant the city). At this point I took my pistol to the car and came back in, as I walked in a took extra time to inspect the plethera of signs they had in front of the store. To my surprise there was no sign saying no guns allowed(which I already knew because I check every store I go into, so that I am unaware of their stance on guns). We then finished shopping and proceeded to the counter to pay, I informed him that if he did not want people coming into the store oc'ing he should put a sign in the front window stating such. He then began to tell me that he understands completely and that he is retired military and has his ccw permit, then reinforced that he understood completely. He then began to tell me that it is not his policy but the owners. We payed for our items and then left, needless to say I will not be returning to this business in the future.

Now I will not proclaim to know every in and out of every law in Colorado but from everything I have ever seen it is legal to oc in all of Colorado excluding Denver City/Denver County. I figured I would let everyone know that this location is not gun friendly and even more they for whatever reason will not post any signs at the front door saying such.

Last edited:

tlevier

Well, a new liquor store is opening across the street at Broadway & Arapahoe. You can give that a try next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukaszu

then..

They why on earth did you lock up and go back? And then made a purchase?
I have left 2 carts full of stuff already and closed my account at WF bank.
If someone Discriminates against your gun then go elsewhere.

O and if u are in a private business and they ask you to cover it then ... You can cover it CCP or not.
Remember you are in a private business.

Last edited:

Beau

Thanks for the heads up. I'll add them to my list.

Two things.

1) Why did you put your gun in the car and go back in? Anyone who heard the encounter or saw your actions then knew that there was an unattended firearm in your vehicle. Plus why give your business to a place that doesn't want it.

2) Why suggest signs? If they dont have one then don't give them any ideas.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Beau

O and if u are in a private business and they ask you to cover it then ... You can cover it CCP or not.

Please provide a cite for your last statement. To my knowledge that is incorrect.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I often visit the Total Wine shop here in northern Virginia while openly carrying. In fact, on one occasion one of the managers took us into the back to taste a special wine he had just opened and we spent more time discussing firearms than we did tasting the wine. I guess that may be the difference between a 2nd Amendment state like Virginia v. what Colorado has become....

SteveInCO

I often visit the Total Wine shop here in northern Virginia while openly carrying. In fact, on one occasion one of the managers took us into the back to taste a special wine he had just opened and we spent more time discussing firearms than we did tasting the wine. I guess that may be the difference between a 2nd Amendment state like Virginia v. what Colorado has become....

It depends heavily on what part of Colorado you are talking about. I have not gotten hassled yet except by one guy in a gun store who got in my face about my hammer being back (it's a CZ 75B, the hammer is supposed to be back, 1911 style).

lukaszu

Very simple city does not dictate who and how will carry what on private property. If the owner wants you to conceal it then it's his call only on his property.

Dario

That is a truly awesome story!

Dario

It depends heavily on what part of Colorado you are talking about. I have not gotten hassled yet except by one guy in a gun store who got in my face about my hammer being back (it's a CZ 75B, the hammer is supposed to be back, 1911 style).

Littleton/Highlands Ranch are chock full of brainwashed sheep. He really got in your face over that?

Michaelpthompso

If the guy in the store is telling you it's an ordinance of the City of Littleton, you really need to check that out. OpenCarry.org says:

"Currently, outside of Denver, car carry is unrestricted and localities are almost completely preempted in enforcing firearms restrictions, and must post specific facilities which are off limits to open carry."

Denver had to sue in order to get exempted from the preemption. The site continues:

"Complete state preemption of firearms laws except that localities may prohibits the open carrying of firearms in a building or specific area within their jurisdiction.
Update: The Colorado Appeals Court has ruled that Denver is NOT subject to state preemption regarding open carry."

So you really need to verify from the City that there's really such an ordinance, because it certainly does not appear so from this site. A private business can prohibit open carry on their premises, but it doesn't carry the force of law. I presume you could be charged with trespass if you refuse to leave or put the gun away, but you seemed to be saying this guy was telling you that the City prohibits open carry in their store, and that's contrary to the way I read the law.

For instance, here in Arvada, the city prohibits open carry in certain buildings, and posts such on their premises. This is consistent with the state law that requires the posting of specific premises. But that's a city owned building, not a privately owned store.
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1390181459.040538.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JoeSparky

Centurion
Sounds like from the reported request of the employee, "unless you have a badge" to show him.... never specified a LEO badge! I am picturing the "Junior Ranger" types from the National Park people or even one that says on it "OPEN CARRIER"..... I thing this is the ONLY time I've suggest an Open carry badge. As for the one that says "concealed" on it... Nope, not going there at all!

Just saying....

Mike6453

Honestly the only reason I went back in was because it was right next to where we were going and didn't have the time to run somewhere else. But normally I would have just taken my business elsewhere. You can be sure I won't be going back though.

And good to know about the other liquor store.

The thing that blew my mind the most was that he had said he was retired military and a ccw holder and yet he doesn't seem to know the laws.

Last edited:

OC for ME

He being a vet, well, vets voted for Obama, go figure.

Maybe it is a case of the employee thinking vs. knowing and not willing to clarify. Or, clarity is available and he is just following orders. Until you ask management we will never know. Businesses have been swayed to not picking one side or the other. If nobody but the employee(s) care, and they may not care, why should management care.

JamesB

The thing that blew my mind the most was that he had said he was retired military and a ccw holder and yet he doesn't seem to know the laws.

There are quite a few CCW classes that do not cover anything about the law. It's not a requirement.
The military is Federal. State laws differ from state to state.

Hell, the number of times I've proven that cops don't know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing...

Anyone can not know what they don't know. Many of them, like myself, "well my dad told me..." and I took it as Gospel for many years. He was so wrong.

Dario

Sounds like from the reported request of the employee, "unless you have a badge" to show him.... never specified a LEO badge! I am picturing the "Junior Ranger" types from the National Park people or even one that says on it "OPEN CARRIER"..... I thing this is the ONLY time I've suggest an Open carry badge. As for the one that says "concealed" on it... Nope, not going there at all!

Just saying....

I'm thinking a business card with the state firearms provision on the front and the preemption on the back or something along those lines would be a good idea.

Mike6453

There are quite a few CCW classes that do not cover anything about the law. It's not a requirement.
The military is Federal. State laws differ from state to state.

Hell, the number of times I've proven that cops don't know the laws they are supposed to be enforcing...

Anyone can not know what they don't know. Many of them, like myself, "well my dad told me..." and I took it as Gospel for many years. He was so wrong.

I understand a bunch of classes don't cover all the laws and just because he was a vet does not mean he knows them all as well. Maybe I am one of the few people like this, but when I have an interest in something, especially something as serious as oc/cc I take my time and find any and all information on it so that I can know if I am or am not breaking any laws while doing so. I also like to be able to have an informed discussion about it just incase it ever comes up, that way I don't sound like recent California State Sen. Kevin de Leon (D-Los Angeles) when he was talking about guns. Here is the link, it will probably be the best 58sec of your day if you have not already seen it. http://www.ijreview.com/2014/01/109933-anti-gun-senator-makes-complete-fool-30-magazine-clips-something/

Last edited: