Thread: Favorite open carry holster (May give other open carriers a mind set)

Favorite open carry holster (May give other open carriers a mind set)

Mine would have to be my level 2 serpa. Very smooth and very comfortable. When I did armed security in Florida, the serpa was great for what I needed to do.

I hang mine from a string around my neck.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

My CCW instructor demonstrated the use of a loop of string as a makeshift IWB.

But OT, SERPA OC and VersaCarry Original CCW.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Depending on the plans for the day, either my Bianchi 3 slot, or Fobus paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I hang mine from a string around my neck.

Is it one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by pirateguy191 View Post
    Nice looking holsters, but EIGHT weeks wait? I can make a holster in two to three days, depends on how thick the leather and the drying before final treatment. Any cobbler can make a comparable holster in less time.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

He has a full time job and other responsibilities. If you're not in a hurry, his quality is pretty much top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by pirateguy191 View Post
    He has a full time job and other responsibilities. If you're not in a hurry, his quality is pretty much top notch.
    I don't doubt that, but there are other quality holster makers who are much more on the spot. If he has that much business maybe he should consider hiring some of the unemployed, not like there is a shortage of them. I would not wait that long for a holster after paying for it. But that is just me, YMMV.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

I figured this three would be moved by time I got a chance to play along.

I like the Fobus Thumb Lever Holsters. Wish they would make them with a greater selection of firearms. I would get on for each that I own.

http://www.fobusholster.com/catalog/...ters-31-1.html

I usally use a FOBUS OWB paddle holster, but that's mainly because CZ 75 gear is hard to find. I'd use a serpa-like one if I could find it "live" and check it out first.

I have a "Sneaky Pete" for my Beretta nano (when I have to conceal but can't wear a long coat or jacket), but it has, at least once, come off the belt with the gun. Possibly an operator headspace issue. I put the thing on my belt in haste. (Their clip on mag pouches, on the other hand, are definitely poorly designed and come right off the belt as often as not, along with the mag.)
    Last edited by SteveInCO; 01-18-2014 at 05:16 PM.

One of the problems with owning not as popular guns is locating production holsters. But the guns make it worth the effort. Personally I enjoy making my own holsters. Leather that has been hot waxed has the feel and sound of kydex and will last forever, plus they have good friction retention. Add a thumb break and they become level two holsters, though I prefer safety straps instead of thumb snaps. I learned with Jordan style holster to sweep the snap on the draw.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

I have a Zlogonje custom made for my SW Model 39 in black leather with a thumb break and extra depth in the bottom of the holster to hold bail money

Dan does a fine job, and I am about to order another one from him,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by SteveInCO View Post
    I usally use a FOBUS OWB paddle holster, but that's mainly because CZ 75 gear is hard to find. I'd use a serpa-like one if I could find it "live" and check it out first.

I have a "Sneaky Pete" for my Beretta nano (when I have to conceal but can't wear a long coat or jacket), but it has, at least once, come off the belt with the gun. Possibly an operator headspace issue. I put the thing on my belt in haste. (Their clip on mag pouches, on the other hand, are definitely poorly designed and come right off the belt as often as not, along with the mag.)
    I have a SAR Arms B6P compact 9mm and I finally found a serpa holster that it fit in and locked in. The SAR arms B6P is a clone of the cz75 so I'm sure they would fit. It's a sig saur p228/229/250DC w/ or w/o rail

Quote Originally Posted by Redneckmatt View Post
    I have a SAR Arms B6P compact 9mm and I finally found a serpa holster that it fit in and locked in. The SAR arms B6P is a clone of the cz75 so I'm sure they would fit. It's a sig saur p228/229/250DC w/ or w/o rail
    Wow just looked up the price from Buds Guns, less than 300 bucks. Poly frame, feels like a Hi Power what is there not to like. Sooo how reliable is it? As good as a CZ?
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Wow just looked up the price from Buds Guns, less than 300 bucks. Poly frame, feels like a Hi Power what is there not to like. Sooo how reliable is it? As good as a CZ?
    It's very reliable, never had a jam an shoots very well. a few down falls are is that it doesn't have a decocker and the take down it pretty interesting but other than that feels and shoots amazing. For the price it is definently worth it. And I found a place to order extra mags.

Safariland 6378, +/-$45 online. It's not pretty but the thumb release hasn't been missed yet.
    And, it won't lock-up like a SERPA if you start pulling before you hit the release.

My EDC holster is from Wright leather works.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WLW_Predator_style_grande.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	11136

My OWB came from Tucker Gun Leather.
    The only people who should fear, good guys with guns, are bad guys...criminals and politicians included.
    No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.

RE
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Safariland 6378, +/-$45 online. It's not pretty but the thumb release hasn't been missed yet.
    And, it won't lock-up like a SERPA if you start pulling before you hit the release.
    +1 on Safariland. Works great with a Sig P229 for OC. Wear it almost every day when I don't have to go into the PRD (i. e. Denver), then use a crossbreed for CC.

Quote Originally Posted by jskp229 View Post
    RE

+1 on Safariland. Works great with a Sig P229 for OC. Wear it almost every day when I don't have to go into the PRD (i. e. Denver), then use a crossbreed for CC.
    Personally, I refer to it as the "City and Cesspit Of Denver." (For others reading this thread who don't know the landscape in Colorado, it's the ONLY municipality which has gotten away with banning open carry.) I'll be going to the GRAA rally there today. Carrying but covered (alas).

Anyway, it's situations like this (where I have to switch between carrying in either manner, and not carrying--alas my job doesn't permit firearms) that make me avoid "belt through the loops" holsters like the plague; I want to be able (with some effort, of course--it shouldn't come off tooeasily) to remove the holster while in my car, without doing a TSA striptease to do so. I realize the holster is a bit less secure, but I figure being able to carry as oten as possible (rather than leaving the gun at home because I am going to one prohibited place out of six or seven) enhances my security more than enough to make up for it.

Bladetech makes what seems to be a good compromise with their system that locks a loop around the belt.
    Last edited by SteveInCO; 01-19-2014 at 10:31 AM.

I just tape mine to my face.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    I just tape mine to my face.
    Saw your picture with the head holster and you in between two CPD officers! I was laughing pretty good and thinking, wow, he did it! Looked almost like the pistol belonged there to.

David

Eye-level cross-draw. And I don't muzzle myself when drawing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.