• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Favorite open carry holster (May give other open carriers a mind set)

Redneckmatt

Mine would have to be my level 2 serpa. Very smooth and very comfortable. When I did armed security in Florida, the serpa was great for what I needed to do.

b0neZ

Depending on the plans for the day, either my Bianchi 3 slot, or Fobus paddle.

I hang mine from a string around my neck.:lol:

utyje9yj.jpg

Is it one of these? :lol:

WalkingWolf

He has a full time job and other responsibilities. If you're not in a hurry, his quality is pretty much top notch.

I don't doubt that, but there are other quality holster makers who are much more on the spot. If he has that much business maybe he should consider hiring some of the unemployed, not like there is a shortage of them. I would not wait that long for a holster after paying for it. But that is just me, YMMV.

SteveInCO

I usally use a FOBUS OWB paddle holster, but that's mainly because CZ 75 gear is hard to find. I'd use a serpa-like one if I could find it "live" and check it out first.

I have a "Sneaky Pete" for my Beretta nano (when I have to conceal but can't wear a long coat or jacket), but it has, at least once, come off the belt with the gun. Possibly an operator headspace issue. I put the thing on my belt in haste. (Their clip on mag pouches, on the other hand, are definitely poorly designed and come right off the belt as often as not, along with the mag.)

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

One of the problems with owning not as popular guns is locating production holsters. But the guns make it worth the effort. Personally I enjoy making my own holsters. Leather that has been hot waxed has the feel and sound of kydex and will last forever, plus they have good friction retention. Add a thumb break and they become level two holsters, though I prefer safety straps instead of thumb snaps. I learned with Jordan style holster to sweep the snap on the draw.

Chuck!

I have a Zlogonje custom made for my SW Model 39 in black leather with a thumb break and extra depth in the bottom of the holster to hold bail money

Dan does a fine job, and I am about to order another one from him,,,,

Redneckmatt

I usally use a FOBUS OWB paddle holster, but that's mainly because CZ 75 gear is hard to find. I'd use a serpa-like one if I could find it "live" and check it out first.

I have a "Sneaky Pete" for my Beretta nano (when I have to conceal but can't wear a long coat or jacket), but it has, at least once, come off the belt with the gun. Possibly an operator headspace issue. I put the thing on my belt in haste. (Their clip on mag pouches, on the other hand, are definitely poorly designed and come right off the belt as often as not, along with the mag.)

I have a SAR Arms B6P compact 9mm and I finally found a serpa holster that it fit in and locked in. The SAR arms B6P is a clone of the cz75 so I'm sure they would fit. It's a sig saur p228/229/250DC w/ or w/o rail

WalkingWolf

I have a SAR Arms B6P compact 9mm and I finally found a serpa holster that it fit in and locked in. The SAR arms B6P is a clone of the cz75 so I'm sure they would fit. It's a sig saur p228/229/250DC w/ or w/o rail

Wow just looked up the price from Buds Guns, less than 300 bucks. Poly frame, feels like a Hi Power what is there not to like. Sooo how reliable is it? As good as a CZ?

Redneckmatt

Wow just looked up the price from Buds Guns, less than 300 bucks. Poly frame, feels like a Hi Power what is there not to like. Sooo how reliable is it? As good as a CZ?

It's very reliable, never had a jam an shoots very well. a few down falls are is that it doesn't have a decocker and the take down it pretty interesting but other than that feels and shoots amazing. For the price it is definently worth it. And I found a place to order extra mags.

Fallschirjmäger

Safariland 6378, +/-$45 online. It's not pretty but the thumb release hasn't been missed yet.
And, it won't lock-up like a SERPA if you start pulling before you hit the release.

jskp229

RE
Safariland 6378, +/-$45 online. It's not pretty but the thumb release hasn't been missed yet.
And, it won't lock-up like a SERPA if you start pulling before you hit the release.

+1 on Safariland. Works great with a Sig P229 for OC. Wear it almost every day when I don't have to go into the PRD (i. e. Denver), then use a crossbreed for CC.

SteveInCO

RE

+1 on Safariland. Works great with a Sig P229 for OC. Wear it almost every day when I don't have to go into the PRD (i. e. Denver), then use a crossbreed for CC.

Personally, I refer to it as the "City and Cesspit Of Denver." (For others reading this thread who don't know the landscape in Colorado, it's the ONLY municipality which has gotten away with banning open carry.) I'll be going to the GRAA rally there today. Carrying but covered (alas).

Anyway, it's situations like this (where I have to switch between carrying in either manner, and not carrying--alas my job doesn't permit firearms) that make me avoid "belt through the loops" holsters like the plague; I want to be able (with some effort, of course--it shouldn't come off tooeasily) to remove the holster while in my car, without doing a TSA striptease to do so. I realize the holster is a bit less secure, but I figure being able to carry as oten as possible (rather than leaving the gun at home because I am going to one prohibited place out of six or seven) enhances my security more than enough to make up for it.

Bladetech makes what seems to be a good compromise with their system that locks a loop around the belt.

Last edited: