• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City vs Town vs Other

MontanaResident

I finally looked this up and thought I'd pass it along.

In summary :
A place may incorporate as a town when its population reaches 300 people. A municipality with a population between 1,000 and 5,000 people is a Third Class city. A municipality with a population between 5,000 and 10,000 people is a Second Class city. And a municipality with a population over 10,000 people is a First Class city. Under certain exceptions municipalities with a population of between 9,000 and 10,000 may elect, by resolution to be either a First or Second Class city. Under similar exceptions municipalities with a population of between 5,000 and 7,500 may elect, by resolution to be either a Second or Third Class city. And finally, municipalities with a population of between 1,000 and 2,500 may, by resolution be classified as either a town or Third Class city.[2]

Town > 300 people
City 3rd Class is 1,000 to 5,000 people
City 2nd Class is 5,000 to 10,000 people
City 1st Class I is >10,000 people

All else is unincorporated, census designated place, or other...

List of cities and towns, can sort by size, country, alphabetical

This search was to counter my neighbor's false info she got while attending a conceal carry training course. She was told a person can ONLY carry conceal if in possession of a CCW permit. I couldn't convince her, as she was POSITIVE, and honestly it's not that important to me what she believes. :)

From Montana DOJ --
Do I need a CWP to carry a concealed weapon outside of town? Generally no. You may carry a concealed weapon without a permit if you are outside the official boundaries of a city or town or the confines of a logging, lumbering, mining or railroad camp.

Montana FAQ regarding firearm carry

Last edited:

MontanaResident

PHP:
How much unincorporated area is in Montana?

Well according to the list, in my county there is only 2 towns. All else is unincoporated, at least what little else there is. Carry conceal all the time and have a fanny pack with a granola bar, and a fruit rollup inside. :lol:

Do I need a CWP to carry a weapon while hiking or hunting? No. You may carry a concealed weapon without a CWP while lawfully engaged in hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, hiking, backpacking, farming, ranching, or other outdoor activity in which weapons are often carried for recreation or protection.

Augustin

How much unincorporated area is in Montana?

According to Gary Marbut, President of MSSA, Montana allows "permitless concealed carry in 99.4% of Montana (outside cities)."

I'm not certain if that means 99.4% of Montana is unincorporated or not, but I think so.

EMNofSeattle

PHP:

Well according to the list, in my county there is only 2 towns. All else is unincoporated, at least what little else there is. Carry conceal all the time and have a fanny pack with a granola bar, and a fruit rollup inside. :lol:

well if you carry in a fanny pack you need no permission card at all, since MT defines concealed as clothing.......

MontanaResident

well if you carry in a fanny pack you need no permission card at all, since MT defines concealed as clothing.......

Another reason for my search. This gets repeated regularly as if a fact. And it's wrong.

Same link as above --> https://doj.mt.gov/featuredemp/frequently-asked-firearms-questions/

Can I carry a gun in my purse or backpack? If you have a CWP you may carry a gun in a purse or backpack. If you do not have a CWP it could be considered a violation of the law for you to conceal a gun in a purse or backpack, since the law defines a concealed weapon as one that is “wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel of the person carrying or bearing the weapon.” Check with your local county sheriff or county attorney for more information.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Another reason for my search. This gets repeated regularly as if a fact. And it's wrong.

Same link as above --> https://doj.mt.gov/featuredemp/frequently-asked-firearms-questions/

Funny, that's not what the Missoula County Sheriff told me when I asked about it.
http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_55f48bf4-45b2-58f2-a041-83e464d52afc.html

Also prosecutors in Montana, and former AGO Mike McGrath said it's legal without a permit, oh yeah and that guy is now Chief Justice of the MT Supreme Court.

the new AG is blowing smoke, he's thinking he can undo what was previously understood to be the law? I think not....

MontanaResident

Funny, that's not what the Missoula County Sheriff told me when I asked about it.
http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_55f48bf4-45b2-58f2-a041-83e464d52afc.html

Also prosecutors in Montana, and former AGO Mike McGrath said it's legal without a permit, oh yeah and that guy is now Chief Justice of the MT Supreme Court.

the new AG is blowing smoke, he's thinking he can undo what was previously understood to be the law? I think not....

Thanks for the info. Laws are a mess, and their understanding varies from person to person.